PDA

View Full Version : Transom water pickup

gcarter
06-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Take a look at this picture, and tell me how this
Stainless Marine water pickup should be mounted. As you can see, the pickup tube extends below the mounting flange.
Should the bottom of the mounting flange be flush with the boat bottom at the transom? Or should the forward bottom corner of the pickup tube be even with the bottom of the boat at the transom? No info came with it and there's nothing I found on the website to indicate the proper method. Maybe it doesn't make any difference. :confused:
Stainless Marine does nice work don't they?

Thanks in advance;

George

MOP
06-27-2004, 03:16 PM
George I have always mounted that style with the forward edge of the tube flush with the bottom, the monuting plate will be a fair bit above the transom edge.

Phil

gcarter
06-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Phil, that's what I was thinking, thanks.
How was the wedding and the rest of your birthday?

George

MOP
06-27-2004, 04:31 PM
George it was without doubt the best I have ever been to, I know the couple very well they are the 1 in a 1,000,000 that are so good together that everyone feels good just being around them. There were over 300 at the reception which was catered by the best one on the island it ran from 3 to 9, the mood was so happy we could not get over it. This old bugger cried more yesterday than in the past five years. Near 9 Gerry told us all to go to the clam bar said he had a surprise. We waited an hour and got a bit drunker, then we saw a barge being pulled out into Greenport harbor. He had a Grucci put on a fireworks display that lasted 1/2 hour it was a really good one, I have never seen anyone put on a wedding of this caliber in my. I Morgan & Coked myself silly, ate like a pig and danced my ass off! Yup I had a great time.

MOP

Cuda
06-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Here are how mine are mounted on the Formula.

gcarter
06-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks Joe;
Man, that's a lot of hardware on the back of that boat.
Do you have shut offs and strainers inside the transom?
The actual through transom pipe is 9'' off centerline and I was ready to drill the hole whenI realized I didn't have a 1 3/8" bit. So it will be tomorrow.

Thanks;
George

Cuda
06-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Yes and yes to your questions.

JimG205
06-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Joe-Nice hardware on the rear of your formula.Are those Rolla's?? How's the new house ? regards,Jim

Moody Blu'
07-01-2004, 07:56 AM
there use to be a how to article for installing the transom pick up. I dont know where it went but heres a pic.

GEOO
07-01-2004, 09:33 AM
I mounted my old transom P/U the same way,with the front edge flush with the bottom.

http://www.arneson-industries.com/Donzi2.jpg

MOP
07-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Come on George dig out a new shot that one has hair on it, you transom is a jewel now that photo was history!

Phil

KFLB143
07-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Very excellent I think this is my solution. Thanks for the tips Broque, my 69GT has been suffering from overheating for a season. Totally burned out my Gil exhaust at the starboard aft flange.

Have a new pair and need to fix this problem before I cook 'em again.

I suspect that the Bravo has corroded and is preventing suction. If I bypass the transom I flow fine.

This is my best bet.

I have a question as to whether anyone has a cross section thumbnail so I can see the installation from the side to judge proper install height. From what I can see it looks like you guys have installed them with the leading edge of the square inlet tube flush with the bottom at the transom. The back of the tube hangs a bit below.

Thanks Please let me know if I am on the right track.

LD

gcarter
07-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Yep, you got it.
I made a paper template of the mounting flange with all the holes cut in it. I drew in all the center lines so I was able to mark all the screw and the pipe locations. You have to be careful so you don't end up with one of the screws running into the end of a stringer. All of the screws are through bolted. You also have to be careful with the 1" pipe clearance hole. It must be perpendicular to the transom. Any angle in this hole and the pickup won't mount flat.
It's a great solution to a number of problems, and it simplifies the gimbal area without the water hose running through it.

Sam
07-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Cuda, are those Merc pick up's on your Formula ?

Sam

Cuda
07-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Cuda, are those Merc pick up's on your Formula ?

Sam
I believe so. They look just like the one's that were on my 242.