PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone glassed in their transom and set up the hull for an OB?

Dredgeking
06-27-2004, 09:30 AM
i have a great 1976 16 with a sweet ZZ4 350 in it. i love it. but, part of me wishes i had an OB for the simplicity of it. for example, changing the impeller in the water pump is painstaking. it took 2 hours just to get the pump off.

has anyone glassed in their transom and slapped an egg beater on the back? how much HP can i put on the back of a 16 with an OB?

just curious. i probably won't do it unless i have some serious engine issues.

gcarter
06-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Just curious, why bother doing all this work when there are so many 16 OB's for sale?

George

Fish boy
06-27-2004, 11:18 AM
As far as I know, there is only one classic that has OB's on it (apart from the 16"s that were made that way). It is a 22, and I am sure the owner will be along shortly to tell you about it. Really a cool boat- don't want to steal his thunder.

are you thinking of notching in a transome to hang the OB off of or bolting to the back after re glassing?

Dredgeking
06-27-2004, 11:36 AM
I haven't seen an OB 16 in several years. how did they attach the OB?

most of the OB 16's for sale have old OB's. why buy a new boat when i'd have to replace the OB anyway?

Fish boy
06-27-2004, 11:53 AM
here is an ad from back in the day..

Fish boy
06-27-2004, 11:54 AM
here is another showing both 16's...

I think the model is standing on a bayliner LOL

Fish boy
06-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Here is my mom's from the early 70's...

MOP
06-27-2004, 03:45 PM
We have converted other boats to O/B, we always rebuilt the the transom. The real pain is building the well, on a few we cut the wells out of old junkers modified them to fit and glassed them in.

Phil

Dredgeking
06-27-2004, 07:42 PM
ahhhh, now i see the notch for the OB. can an OB be slapped on with a jack plate to make rebuilding the transom easier or would it throw off the ride?

Fish boy
06-27-2004, 08:35 PM
the more I think about this, the more sense it would make to find an OB 16 rather than try to convert yours IMHO. I do not think a jackplate will do the trick, you will probably need a trnasome bracket. It will not be enough just to get the motor 12-14 inches off the back of the boat, you will still need to trim it up for performance, trailering...etc. The powerhead will hit the back of the transom unless you get it 30 or so inches back. Look at the pic of a fish boat semi trimmed and picture a solid transom and you will see the need for considerable setback.

Transom brackets are pretty expensive and including the glass work, reinforcing it with knee joints and the devaluation of your 16 through the conversion, it just seems like finding a used 16ob would be a better alternative. Additionally, you will have alot of weight 3 ft off the back of the boat rather than 1-3 ft inside the boat where the old motor was. Might be a little squirrely.

Anyway, that is my $.02, but I am sure there are other opinions and possibilities I have not thought of.

pmreed
06-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Here's one on Boattrader on-line. 16 Outboard (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/6/69536026.htm) .

Price seems a little high, but ??

Phil

BUIZILLA
06-27-2004, 09:08 PM
Considering the great condition, and all the extra's that goes with the one Phil found above, that's a pretty cool boat. I think it's priced dead-nuts right. That 150GT is a very reliable screamer for sure. It's a strong 175hp with 150 decals for the bass boys. Change the throttles around, and use it as-is.

JH

Fish boy
06-27-2004, 09:13 PM
COuld not agree more with what jim said and I am not a "white motor" fan. It is also the only one I have ever seen with a windshield. Really neat boat!!!!!! Great find Phil.

MOP
06-27-2004, 10:01 PM
ahhhh, now i see the notch for the OB. can an OB be slapped on with a jack plate to make rebuilding the transom easier or would it throw off the ride?

You could put bracket on, that and a jack plate it should be a good runner.

Dredgeking
06-28-2004, 10:17 AM
DAMN, thanks for the all the angles on this subject. that's why i love this board. you guys are very knowledgable and i appreciate it.

i'll just keep what i have and maybe convert it to an alpha drive when i burn up the engine and have to rebuild it.

that is a nice 16 OB in the ad above, but that's about twice what i paid for my boat in similar condition with a 345hp ZZ4 GM crate engine in it.