PDA

View Full Version : Scot Van A, when do you find out about your contract?

Lenny
06-25-2004, 11:19 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/06/24/nasa.recs.cnn/index.html

Does any of this affect you?

harbormaster
06-26-2004, 08:47 AM
It all has an effect on my Job. The NASA management forgets that we have the threat of havig to change companies every 3-4 years. You have to changeover any company retirement/investment plans. You then also have to negotiate keeping the number of vacation days you get a year.That is the part that sucks being a NASA contractor.

The work is interesting. 2 of my projects are The Aircraft Ops Directorate http://jsc-aircraft-ops.jsc.nasa.gov and the Genesis project which is a probe which is capturig material from solar winds, 2 comets and returning it to earth.

I hope that NASA does go to the Moon and Mars. I am always happy to see other countries like china doing space stuff because it get our country off of its ASS.

Whe should have already been to Mars.

Hell we went to the Moon 20 years ago.

Through NASA's beauracratic incompetency the plans were lost to the Saturn V booster.
They would have to reverse engineer the 3 existing ones in order to build one again.

As for my job, we lost our contract and do not know who they will award it to. My job has been in limbo fo the past 2 months. We also do not know whe it will be awarded.

Not easy to build a boat like this. Sooo make some donations. I might have to live on them. :bonk:

gcarter
06-26-2004, 08:58 AM
Scott, it's always the same at NASA.
I worked for three contractors in seven years back in the '60's and '70's. You get used to it or get out.
However, it's a little more stable than job shopping which I did for a number of years also.

George

txtaz
06-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Hey Scot,
Sorry to hear about the contract. Contracting work is either feast or famine for me. I either work 100 hour weeks or go boating 4 days a week and 3 days on Donzi net LOL. I learned early that money managment is very important after the tech collapse in 01. It's tough to know that your future income is dependant on other peoples decision who may or may not be stable.
Let people know if you need help. Maybe we could set up a poker run for PK to benefit Donzi.net or set up a poker run there in Clear Lake. I might even splash the 18 in salt for that.
Best of luck,
Wes