PDA

View Full Version : Any Corvette owners in here ?

Sport
06-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Me and Leslee ( wife to be maybe ) have a 79 that has been dormant for 6 year s now, I think I may suprise her and redo the calipers and master cylinder this weekend if it is not to hot out. What year is your Vette, any mods done ? Two weeks ago I went back to my old job at Vette Brakes & Products. I am their PR man so I travel to Corvette shows around the country and deal with Corvette Clubs and stuff like that. If anybody needs anything from VBP let me know and I will hook ya up good. Donzis and Corvettes, two of my favorite things in the world.

Sport
tony@vbandp.com
www.vbandp.com

Forrest
06-25-2004, 08:34 AM
Where is GeneD? Anyone have a picture of him in his '72 'Vett towing his 18 Donzi?

I haven't had a Corvette for years. Back in early 1970 when I lived in Virginia Beach, Virginia, my parents found a very rough 1954 Corvette that had been parked for years behind the office of an auto salvage yard on the south end of town that they bought for $150. Yea, that's right $150! When we got it, it had no title, which was later resolved, cracks and holes in the glass, about 10 coats of paint of all different colors chrome missing, rats were living in the interior which was totally shot. The original blue-flame six was gone and junk 283 had been butchered in to place. We worked the restoration for a few years to about 95%. Built an engine just like the original, but the value killer was that serial numbers didn't match. Back then many parts, including the OE 6cyl three-carb intake manifold and dual outlet exhaust manifold and exhaust system, were still available over the counter at the Chevrolet parts department. Other parts, mostly body chrome, had to be found used. In the end, it turned out looking close to perfect only lacking the original wheel covers and the original carburetors and filters. The original three one-barrel side-draft carburetors proved to unobtainable at the time so ended up getting some marine side-draft carbs that looked somewhat like the original. Anyway to make a long short, after driving it around for a couple of years and taking it to a few Corvette shows, they sold it - and I don't want to tell you how cheap either - but that was in the early 1970s when all Corvettes and most Donzis went cheap.

Donzigo
06-25-2004, 09:21 AM
1989 Corvette Convertable - "red - naturally"..............love it!

........still has the original yellow chaulk from the factory under the hood & clean enough to serve dinner off the engine.

Fish boy
06-25-2004, 09:22 AM
I think donzigo is sporting a sweet late model drop top. Trying to remember the color... hummmm.. what color would richard choose???

Sold mine a few years back and sure miss it. Seemed like every road I was on for the next year was a twisty curvy road that screamed for another vette.

ToonaFish
06-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Sport, my hat is off to you... you must have the patience of Job to deal with Corvette owners on a daily basis. :beer: I loved my Vette customers, but they were, um, how to say this nicely, a wee bit obsessive/compulsive. I earned every penny of every commission and then some! Made the Donzi fancy look like a bunch of detail slackards. :hyper:

BUIZILLA
06-25-2004, 09:51 AM
Had a '98 C5 for a few years, kinda miss it, kinda don't...

J

SMLDONZI
06-25-2004, 10:40 AM
HI Sport,

I've got a '69 big block coupe that I just installed the VBandP dual mount rear spring on. Front transverse spring conversion is currently in progress. I'm pretty happy with your company's products and its especially nice to know someone there now. I love the car--fun as hell to drive and gets lots of attention--just like our beloved watercraft. :shark:

Koenig
06-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Had a Vette in High School. I was the guy every other guy hated! It was a 1988. Vette prices are down in this state, seen clean late eighties early nineties below $10,000. In my town a one owner 89 Vette, with 67K, all service records from day one and orig. window sticker is forsale, owner asking $7,500 OBO. Black on black leather.Did'nt try and talk me out of my offer of five. I'm seriously thinking about it for "transportation". Also a 85 with the Z51 suspension, needs paint for $3,500. My brother and Porsche business partner, said: "guess this means you are voting for Kerry"! :biggrin.:

My litt Vette story:In late 96 early 97, the C5's did a chevy dealer tour for current customers "only". Guess Chev wanted to get some pre-orders before it came out. I was dressed like a bum and decided to try and see it at a dealer. The sales guy would'nt even give me a peak inside the service bay area were the car was parked or a brochure. "for current customers only, besides the new vette is very,very expensive" said the stupid sales guy. I shot back: "your concept of expensive differs from mine I assure you!" So I walk outside followed by stupid sales guy, who was coming out for a smoke. I was working for a Rolls Royce Bentley, restoration/sales/service place and was driving a Bentley Azure. Never seen a sales guy run towards a potential "customer" and suck up so fast. Wonder if he believed me when I told him that I decided on a Ferrari instead because the Vette is so expensive I could'nt possibly afford one! :biggrin.:

Sport
06-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Cool stories. Gotta go, they are about to have the drawing for our office NASCAR pool. Go RUSTY ! !

Sport

hardcrab
06-25-2004, 05:20 PM
my vette is an '81 that i've owned since '87, should you need to replace power booster, ignore the GM shop manuel as it gives a paragraph of "information" that equates to "remove the four bolts from the firewall and reinstall with new unit" [what a waste of ink] in order to access these bolts, start by removing the drivers seat, drop the steering colomn, remove the speedo/tach panel, and only then you'll have a shot at the upper two bolts but you'll never get a visual, EVER! i've done this job twice, first time in 6 hrs, second time in 3 hrs having learned what the shop manuel didn't mention. good luck!!

harbormaster
06-26-2004, 08:31 AM
I had a 72 coupe and a 74 coupe

catch 22
06-26-2004, 04:39 PM
The wife has an 89 convertible. White with tan top, tan interior. We bought the Vette 6 years ago with 11k original miles on it. It still had the original Goodyear Gatorbacks on it. My wife drives the car daily and loves it. It has a ZF 6 speed a set of ZR1 wheels and tires on it. I still have the original wheels for it. The car has 58k on it now and I am getting ready to replace the interior. Have new seats already. Waiting to get new weather stripping for around the windows. It's been a great car. Garage kept and still very sweet. I don't get to drive it much cause I will get in TROUBLE with it. PS. Donzigo, is yours a Auto or a 6 speed? Haven't seen many 6 speeds around. :convertib

TMANN
06-26-2004, 07:31 PM
1992 coupe, 1998 coupe , 2000 Vert - Must say my 2000 Vert was the best...

http://www.tiemworks.com

http://www.tiemworks.com/stuff/vettesilver/9.jpg
http://www.tiemworks.com/stuff/vettesilver/1.jpg
http://www.tiemworks.com/stuff/vette%20white/2.jpg

TMANN

Richard McCoy
06-26-2004, 07:35 PM
I Have A 91 Built For Tom Benson. Perfect. Drive It To Get A Brake Tag Once A Year.

Mr X
06-26-2004, 08:26 PM
C-5 Red convertible. Wifey drives it 99% of the time.

Sport
06-28-2004, 08:14 AM
I did not get around to my project this wekend, it was to damn hot out ! Both Sat & Sun were 93 degrees and the garage does not breathe very well. Maybe I'll do the job after the holiday weekend cuz I'm doing Shell Island this comming weekend.

Sport

Walt. H.
06-29-2004, 09:35 AM
68' black coupe 427 L-88 .060 = 439 c.i. 4-spd, muncie crash box, W/ open chamber alum, heads, 2-1/8th in. Hooker headers w/ 3-1/2" collectors tied into a set of factory off-road side pipes, etc,etc. that i've owned since 1970. Not an original L-88, Back in the early 70's she ran 10.70's @ 130-134 mph in the 1/4 mile. Not in street trim but it was streetable.:biggrin: it was originally a 427/435 hp tri carb steel head motor. No power robbing creature comforts, every ounce H/P goes to the rear wheels.
1979 I turned it back into a street car and ten years ago I converted the original manual non-power assist brake calibers over to the stainless steel bore insert type after numorous rebuilds over the past three and half decades of ownership.

Sorry no digital pictures copied, never had any made. I should, but it's black on black with a wide 69' cadi firemist gold paint stripe starting from the raised L-88/ZL-1 hood scoop over the roof, down the rear deck and flairs out onto the sides cutting the rear corner marker lights in half.

Back then many hi/po street cars could pull the front wheels of the ground and passing someone was safer because it only took a split second. :biggrin:

Walt

wytmike
06-29-2004, 11:01 AM
1966-327 Trickflow 2.02/1.60 heads, elgin cam, roller rockers, isky lifters, 3.70 rear end close ratio four speed.

Walt. H.
06-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Wyt Mike,

SWEET! :yes: :yes:

Walt

olredalert
06-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Sport,

------Were you at Bloomington Gold? Wish I had known. If you bought an event shirt I made a buck or two off you!!
------After running thru 120 midyears alone in the last 38 years I have only one left. 66 Laguna Blue big-block roadster with every option except transistor ignition. It was inducted into the Corvette Hall of Fame this year. Pretty proud of that. Dont drive it too much but we did drive it down to the show (430 miles). Blew everyones mind when we told them. Jan never even went thru a puddle on the way. I just wiped it off and pulled it in the building.
------By the way, Vette B and P is a well thought of company. Many happy customers out there with your stuff on their cars.........Bill S

------PS; A well known rabid dog on the board is also a happy mid-year owner!

Sport
06-30-2004, 10:46 AM
OLREDALERT,
No, I did not go to the Bloomington Gold show this year. I went last year and had a blast ! The show was great, what a killer location ! I love the layout on the golf course. Very nice town also, cool downtown area. I will be in Carlisle PA. on August 26-29 for the BIG show. Your ride sounds killer ! Most who have a ride like that put it on a trailer, very glad to hear about a vetter that actually drives one that has been inducted in the hall ! ! ! I myself would also drive it ! It is a Vette, it was meant to be driven and enjoyed not just looked at, good for you ! If you ever need anything drop me a line. Corvettes & Donzis ! ! !

Sport
2000 26 ZX
1979 L-82

DonziNUTS
06-30-2004, 02:18 PM
I have an 1986 Silver Met. Conv. with only 47,000 miles. I bought it with 43,000 4 years ago. I love it....My Father has a '67 Conv. Marina Blue....and Mom just bought a 1989 Coupe Met. Charcoal. We all will be in Carlisle...go every year!!

Sport
06-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Donzinuts,
Looks like you are not to far from Carlisle at all. I'll be in the building just right of the grand stands, stop in.

Sport

Sport
07-13-2004, 01:24 PM
For any Corvette people out there, tonight on The Learning Channel at 9 p.m. EST Chip Foose is redoing a 1964 Corvette. I have heard about the build and it sounds killer ! Just thought I'd share.

Sport

RickyR
07-13-2004, 04:42 PM
I had a '73 convertible with a bland 350 but had early 70's side exhaust.

Green with medium saddle leather. I got to be buddies with Ralph Eckler (Eckler's Corvette parts in Titusville), and he took good care of my car.
I used to bring him parts to his toys (duty free :wink: ;) ;) ) into the islands, so he did me right on vette stuff.
I liked the car,and the hood made for a good work bench on those late night rides too...
I hurt my back, and got to be a pain to get in and out of, so I sold it..
Ricky...seeya...

HyperDonzi
07-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Dad has one, Ive had over 2000 miles behind the wheel of it. Fun car, still can get scarry. 1988 Red with red leather interior, motorized seats, rims off of an 89 (been trying to get some ZR1 rims), not sure on modifications, although it is a nice amount louder than any other C4, and I found 3 time slips under the pass seat first time cleaning it, ranging from 12.94 to 13.2. Since we've owned it, had been in rain once, and I will never do that again.

http://img58.photobucket.com/albums/v177/Hyperbaja/DSCN1726.jpg

olredalert
07-14-2004, 09:16 AM
---------Jan is most pleased that you have her best interests in mind, and requests that her car be delivered to her at your earliest convenience!...........Bill S

boldts
07-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Well, I have 1 part that came off a Corvette. Does that count? I had to take the route of Chevelle when I was younger. It was also a little easier on my wallet. Sitting in my garage is an Offenhouser Aluminum intake sporting 3 Rochester 2 barrel carbs. I've run this set-up on 2 Chevelles starting with a 1964 SS 4speed and later a 1967 2dr. coupe with an automatic.

Best story I can tell about time behind the wheel of a Vette is from when I worked at a valet parking lot at the airport. We used to hop in the car, ride to the airport and then drive the car back to the parking lot. Great job and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting drive a lot of different cars. Most of the workers all wanted to drive the new BMWs, Mercedes and such. I liked the American muscle cars. Drove many including Hurst Olds, Grand National, Mustangs, Camaros and just a few Corvettes ranging from a 396 Coupe to a C4 I think.

It was a Saturday afternoon and had just returned from the airport in a newer Vette like Hyper's pic. As I went behind the lot's fence, I stopped. Floored the pedal. OH MY GOSH!!!! That whole car up and jumped sideways coming down with tires blazing. I got out of the gas REAL fast. Parked the car and then of course, changed my under garments. :toiletpap

Got to park a Lambo once, but no ride to the airport in that one. Ya know, most of the time, the owners knew that we were going to test their cars. Many took the opportunity on the way to the airport to demonstrate the car to us. :D I think hoping that we wouldn't want to do the same. Money tips were great also and as many times these same customers would come in week after week, they got to know you and even thank-you for taking care of their cars. Auhhhhh to be young again!

Last Tango
07-14-2004, 12:53 PM
'57 Fulie, '63 split 327/350/4-speed, '67 427/435/M-22 convert, '03 ZO6 50th Anniv, '02 Daytona Rolex 24 #3.

(Oh, I'm sorry, you meant when I'm AWAKE!)
I admire from a distance. Can't let my Porsche Club buddies see me sleeping with the enemy.

Sea Biscuit
07-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Hey I've had a few myself.
67 427/435 new
69 427/390 NCRS Top Flight/Bloomington Gold,GM Add
72 LT-1 convert w/air super rare NCRS & Bloomington magazines books and poster car
2 71 LT-1 converts
77 L-82 Bloominton & Special Collection only car to get 100%
at least at that time, Corvette Museum
77 driver
81 new
It was fun at the time - maybe a ZO6 or Viper next

Sport
07-14-2004, 02:14 PM
I just posted a Vette Brakes & Products Sale if interested.

www.vbandp.com/sale.aspx

Sport
(Tony)

HyperDonzi
07-14-2004, 09:19 PM
It was a Saturday afternoon and had just returned from the airport in a newer Vette like Hyper's pic. As I went behind the lot's fence, I stopped. Floored the pedal. OH MY GOSH!!!! That whole car up and jumped sideways coming down with tires blazing. I got out of the gas REAL fast. Parked the car and then of course, changed my under garments. :toiletpap

We have done our share of 270 Nascar..... Normally ran with a pair of M3's, Porsche non turbo, 350Z, some newer Z28's and a 03 Cobra (I can only say wow)

Me and a friend were coming back from the movie theatres, on 23 going N, about a mile north of 270. He is in his tacoma, just playing around, he revvs on me, I look and wave, and nail it, almost completley sideways, I havent done that since.

Cars are fun, but as a lot on the site have learned (myself included) take it to the track, or the lake.

Sport
07-15-2004, 09:06 AM
Madpoodle,

That is one hell of a cool picture ! ! ! Corvettes, Donzis and red-headed women ! ! ! You got 2 out of 3 of my favorite things ! I owe you a beer for that post !

Sport

N2DEEP
08-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Had a yellow 73 convertible until I tried to drive under a welding truck one night many years ago. Can you say assigned risk? Anyway I have "matured".... :D 94 Viper :D R/T 10.

ITTLFLI
08-24-2004, 09:51 PM
WOW...COOL THREAD!! Some of you have had and do have really nice VETTES!

I have had my 76 for 12 years now. My brother has a 79 that was his daily driver for 6 years.

My dad has:
66 coupe
67 427 vert
70 vert
..and finally a 99 with less than 7000 miles.

Obviously we enjoy our share of vettes!! We have taken them to driving schools at Mid Ohio and Putnam. We also enjoy the caravans down to the museum in Bowling green.

Sport
08-25-2004, 08:11 AM
Tomorrow I am flying out to Carlisle PA for the Corvettes at Carlisle show for 4 days. I love this show ! It's kind of like Disney, you could spend 4 days there and not see everything you wanted to. This place is huge ! If any of you are going give me a call 727-481-7445.

Sport

(Tony)

http://www.carlisleevents.com/schedule/corvette/index.asp

SMLDONZI
08-25-2004, 08:42 AM
It is an awesome, giant show. Last year was my first time there. Been looking forward to going back for weeks.

Sport
08-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Check out these cut away photos !

Very Cool !

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=877877

I'd love to have a 2.5 X 4 of these !

Sport

DonziNUTS
08-25-2004, 01:34 PM
I will be there Friday.....Can't wait it is like Disney!!! :biggrin.:

Koenig
08-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Had a Corvette senior year in high school. My Dad being the nice guy he was at the auto-mall getting oil change for his car, got bored ended up at Mazda and saw Miata brochure 2 months before they came out. Decided to order one for me. Since they became really hot sellers and I found it a bit girly (gay) traded it for a Vette ASAP! A couple of late 80's early 90 Vettes have come up for sale real cheap in my area, so I've thought about picking one up for the heck of it. For the money you can't beat the performance. Looking at 1987 coupe with no suspension, blown rear end for $1,200. interior and paint in pretty good shape.