PDA

View Full Version : A damn good tip well worth doing!

MOP
06-24-2004, 10:50 AM
I was at a buddies shop yesterday shooting the bull while he was working, he went to pull a drill bit out of the case. Well it hung up on the burrs that the chuck makes when a drill slips in the chuck, needless to say he bled like a stuck hog. I said you dumb **** why do you put your bits in the case shank down, after a few :cussball: and listening to me he went to every bench and flipped every drill bit in the shop point down. I learned that before most of you were born also having cut myself. So all my Donzi Buddies put your drill bits point down in the cases, you fingers will be happier!

MOP

SMLDONZI
06-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Amen, Brother.

Ed Donnelly
06-24-2004, 05:48 PM
What a simple solution!!! Where the hell were you 15-20 slit fingers ago?? Pushing 60 and still learning every day...Ed

MOP
06-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Ed I am over 60 and kicken back! LOL

harbormaster
06-25-2004, 07:10 AM
none of mine are sharp enough anymore to cut me.

Has anyone tried one of those sharpening machines for drill bits?

MOP
06-25-2004, 08:25 AM
Scot I still do mine by hand as I like to grind the ramps to meet the usage, I was an aircraft sheet metal man in the service we had to drill things from soft Plexi to Titanium. Several of the guys I know have bought the one from Sears and are real happy with them. A tip when sharpening is to use light pressure grinding a little at time and dip in water frequently, do not get the tip hot it will kill the temper and will not drill hard stuff anymore. If it turns blue save it for wood work or chuck it. Also it is not worth shopping drill bits, buy the best you can and take care of them they will last many years. One of my way to many sets is a big machinist set that cost me almost 1k they are over 30 years old and still top shelf.

txtaz
06-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Hey Phil, Great tip. :)
I have always wondered why I could never get my bits sharp. Now I know. Thanks.
Wes