PDA

View Full Version : Oh, no, what have I done?

2biguns
06-24-2004, 08:40 AM
I thought that admitting publicly that I'm a fan of Bill Clinton was hard, but that was nothing compared to what I'm currently about to do.

Tomorrow, Amy, Stella and I are going to (I can't believe I'm confessing this) going to test drive a...

I can't do it...

What the hell----WE'RE GOING TO TEST DRIVE A MINI VAN. :angryfire

There. I said it. I feel naked.

Stinking Nissan Quest commercial came on tv Sunday showing the skyview windows in the back, sunroof, DVD players. Then I started studying the other options (240 hp 3.5 ltr engine--same as 350Z & Maxima, ability to carry 6 people plus Stella) and began to consider it.

Anybody else have any UTV (Urban Transport Vehicle--I heretofore refuse to use the word Minivan again) suggestions? We're in a SLT Yukon.

txtaz
06-24-2004, 08:59 AM
Uhhhmmm, no advice on the UTV aka MIN-VAN. But just a question: Why doesn't the Yukon fit your needs? I ask because I may be in the same boat soon...pardon the pun. I have an SUV and really don't want a "UTV".
Thanks, Wes

Last Tango
06-24-2004, 09:11 AM
Yeah, a agree with txtaz. What part of the Yukon doesn't work for you that a (!@?*&%) will? It's gonna be a few more years before Stella needs to feed a disc into the headrest TV.

Tim Morris
06-24-2004, 09:27 AM
I hit this wall a year ago too! Wound up offloading my '99 Expedition for a Nissan product.

Couldn't digest the Quest though. I went for the Murano. I pull my 2880 lb Minx with it.

Good room inside, drives like a car, same 3.5 L engine.
Have a look!

rchevelle71
06-24-2004, 10:01 AM
HAD the minivan,

I let the ex-wife talk me into it, Now that its gone, I kinda miss it. But when we bought, I insisted on Rear Wheel Drive, and something able to tow a little, so we got the Astro Van. Recently replaced it with a pickup, Much better towing, but the gas bill is now sucking(literally)

2biguns
06-24-2004, 10:43 AM
I drive a Ford Supercab PSD so towing is not an issue.

The Yukon is great, but by the time we load Stella and her car seat, stroller, portable crib, diaper bag, dipsy doodle play thingy and our bags, there's no room for beer and that's simply unacceptable. I may be on the verge of having my masculinity totally stripped from me, but the beer stays :smash:

Also, if we go somewhere with friends we are limited to 2 tiny folks to flank Stella in the back seat. Our Yukon has the 3rd row seats but we do not find many occasions when we offer rides to dwarfs (tiny people to be politically correct). Also the gas mileage stinks on the Yukon. The thing that we liked about the Quest is that we could easily take 4 people with us plus the youngun (thinking ahead to football season).

MOP
06-24-2004, 11:03 AM
I went for a used GMC 1500 5.7 SUV it has two wheel with posi and tows very well even climbs gooey ramps with my friends 24 cabin cruiser, my son in law has the same only newer with 4 wheel drive. We used mine with 8 aboard to go up island to a wedding, he rode shot gun and could not believe my mileage. I get 15-16 in town and 20 not towing on the highway, he get 12-13 in town and 16 highway. After owning a 4X4 for over 30 years posi does just fine on the ramps.

Phil

Last Tango
06-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Steve! Man, I'm just trying to help SAVE you!!!! Hey, why not go ahead and try that (%$@#*^) and then try the new Dodge Magnum R/T HEMI (the station wagon thing, not the truck). Sat in and played with one this very morning when I dropped my Jeep off for service. Ya gotta KNOW that with a HEMI it'll be just fine... I LOVE their catchy sales line for that car - "Open it up at BOTH ends." Cool. Red, gotta be red.

2biguns
06-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Bless you, Mark. At one point I had slipped so far that I saw a Bayliner at the lake and thought that it had nice lines (of course, it was a twin engine 30 foot cruiser, but a BAYLINER no less).

Tomorrow I'm going to get out of the office early, put on my best wife-beater T-shirt, load a cooler on my trusty Snapper and do what God put all good men on the earth to do--MOW GRASS. Got to get back to my roots and clear my head. Then I think I'll clear out half of the garage so if we DO go with the Quest, I can park it inside :shades:

Thank heavens that Stella loves the sound of twin thru-hull big blocks!

Fish boy
06-24-2004, 12:51 PM
don't forget donzi makes/made a deck boat... ;)

Last Tango
06-24-2004, 01:14 PM
I can't participate in this thread anymore. Deckboats, Bayliners, minivans, ...jeez my head is funny... I'm feeling a little whoosy. :puke: At least Stella has her head on straight! She wants big twins - just like mom?

gcarter
06-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Dodge Durango Hemi!!!

George

TBroccoli
06-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Buick Rendesvous. Wife was too cool for the mini van. I have three boys 8, 5 , and 3. It has the most comfortable 2nd and 3rd row of all we test drove. I hate the outside look but its not a mini van. 22 highway. The boys like diving over the 2nd row into the 3rd row so the dwarf problem is non existant.

Tony
06-24-2004, 03:05 PM
I put 200,000 miles on a 4 cyl. '88 Plymouth Voyager. Then we stepped up to a 6 cyl. '95 Plymouth Voyager "Sport", it currently has 150,000 miles on it and still going strong for my son. It even spent a year towing my Ski Sporter!

Better gas mileage and more passenger/cargo versatility than most SUV's, imo, plus even in Michigan the front wheel drive was more than adequate for driving in snow. Most 4wd SUV owners do not use or need this feature.

2biguns
06-24-2004, 03:18 PM
No can do on the Dodge/Chrysler option. In their divorce, I represented the wife of the sales manager of our local dealer and I fear he'd pee in the tank every time I took it in for service.

I have not looked at a Buick yet and may check one out.

Yes, Stella loves her twins and mama thinks it's time to wean, thanks to that cute little tooth that has finally appeared.

Tim Morris
06-24-2004, 03:18 PM
O.K. - New Pitch for the MURANO
(because this thread has taken a few twists)

1. Button on dash gives you 4 wheel drive for the launch ramp
2. Rear seats fold flat, but so does passenger seat - this may
swing the vote -remember your Dad's Rambler & the drive-in?

Darrell
06-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Don't do it, If you need something smaller check out smaller SUV with 3 rows seats (GMC Envoy, Chevy Trailblazer)

Darrell

P.S. My X-wife now has the mini-van she allways wanted :rlol:

ChromeGorilla
06-24-2004, 04:15 PM
Dude....VW Touareg....V10 diesel...room for the family and grunt to yank the donzi round town

BUIZILLA
06-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Touareg? somebody mention a Touareg??

JH :pimp: