PDA

View Full Version : AOL employee selling names, addys etc.

txtaz
06-24-2004, 07:11 AM
This just in:
An AOL employee was caught selling 92 million email addys, name, address and more to marketing companies, who in turn sold them to other marketing companies, etc.
If you have AOL and recently started getting spam mails and marketing spyware, this is your source of it. I suggest everyone hammer AOL to fix the situation. That means utilities to fix your specific problems on YOUR computer and spam filters on your emails.
My ISP catches spam and I never see it. Nice feature.
Hope this helps,
Wes
PS, Walt this is you :p Glad you had a night alone with the wife :shades: Yup....Priorities...

MOP
06-24-2004, 11:09 AM
I have been using computer since 72, real fast then 300 baud and beautiful black and white print. I can not understand why AOL still has any customers, I have been listening to people crab about them for many years, dropped connections, pop ups, numerous email problems ETC!

Phil

Last Tango
06-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Because, largely, all the other services are worse over time. Spam is not just an AOL issue. Popups are not just an AOL issue. Lack of understanding on how to block, avoid, and use the internet safely and cleanly is by far the biggest problem. If folks learned how to use the features they already have, there would be very little for spammers to offer a potential client. Also, just like ugly advertising on TV, SOMEBODY is responding to that spam in a positive profitable manner to the sender, or there would be no market. Don't answer spam. Don't even look. Use all your spam blocker features. Do a disc clean-up every week at a MINIMUM. Use Spybot and Ad-ware every week. Use and update your Norton Anti-virus every week. Do a Defrag every week.
Or, use a MacIntosh and some very local cheap ISP and hope the local guy isn't actually making his money by selling your info. Viruses generally ignore Mac users - too small a group to bother writing all that code. Local ISP's also generally don't support Mac users. I personally saw the light decades ago and prefer a Mac, but I use my Dell PC for internetting. That way I don't screw up my GOOD computer.
AOL gets hit far more often than other ISP's because THEY are the biggest. They are the biggest because most internet users LIKE AOL than the others. Duh! They tried the freebies and discounter's and butterflies and came back. And cable users get FAR more spam from their LOCAL PROVIDER!!!!!!
The news was good. They caught the bastard and his accomplice. I hope they know how to work and play well with those big smelly tatooed guys in prison. :smash: