PDA

View Full Version : Installed new Garmin 276C in the 18 Classic

Ranman
06-23-2004, 11:41 PM
I had typed a long post on how I did this and lost the text so heres the CLiff's notes version with pics.

1. Pulled speedo and relocated tach to original speedo hole
2. Using AutoCAD, I designed and manufactured a stainless steel plug/mounting base to fill the empty hole. I also made an ss strap to secure the plug in the dash similar to how a standard gauge is held in.
3. Once the plug was in place, I marked the best location for the Garmin surface mount adapter and drilled the mounting holes and mounted the adapter.
4. After installing the adapter, I located a suitable location on the plug and drilled a hole for the power cord to pass through. This spared me from drilling any extra holes in the dash.
5. Since I wanted the cord hole to be small 1/4" , I had to cut the fuse off the positive lead from the cord, pass the cord through the hole and resolder the fuseholder to the positive lead. Another option would be to drill a large enough hole to pass the fuse holder directly through 9/16"
6. With the power cord and surface mount good to go, I installed the plug into the dash hole and installed the holding strap from behind using ss hardware.
7. Finally, I wired the proper leads behind the dash and tied up all the loose ends.

LEt me know what you think and I'd be happy to share the drawing of my mounting plug with anyone who might be interested. Also, I could have these made for a nominal charge.

Lenny
06-24-2004, 12:05 AM
Nice work Randy :) !!!, hi Jen... Randy, it looks great, nice install, BUT,... will it get us to Lees Ford next year??? That will be the true test of your expertise...Hope NOT, cuz it is more fun our way :D Take care you guys.

DoTheMath
06-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Sweet! Nice and neat and functional all at the same time...

gero1
06-26-2004, 08:33 AM
looks great randy