PDA

View Full Version : Nose cones on a Volvo???

bverd
06-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Curious to hear feedback from anyone who currently has or has installed a nose cone on a volvo outdrive. I am hearing confilicting reports and I thought I would take the question to the source of all knowledge... YOU!!

I have a volvo 280T that I am considering adding a nosecone to... thoughts?

Specifically to people who have installed them... what changes in behavior did you see and or attitude in the boat. Would like to hear about the before and the after.

--bverd

mattyboy
06-24-2004, 07:23 AM
Brad,

the 250 i just put on has a nose cone on it, the old one didn't and I have only the lk george run to dial in.
My boat is very squirelly around 4000 rpm it never was before
the skeg is bent a little due to shipping problems I am hoping that is what is causing it.
Also I noticed I cavitate the prop when planning, same prop never did that on the old one
on the plus side it does seem faster at a 3000 rpm cruise then the old one

hope that helps and I will keep you posted

Matty

GEOO
06-24-2004, 08:25 AM
Brad,
I installed one on my 290. The speed was the same but the steering felt a little better. I don't think it's worth doing. Most of the time nose cones are used to stop Blow Out. Blow Out is when the speed increases so fast that the water can not make it to the prop and the slip increases dramatically. Maybe if you played around and mounted it several times to get the best angle it could help? They look cool...

bverd
06-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Geoo... you didn't have any negative experience like Matty may be experiencing did you?

--bverd

boldts
06-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Brad,

Put a Hydromotive on the Volvo 250 I had with the 18' Classic. No big HP like you have and no trim of course. I was also running a bronze 3 blade because an Ultra just wasn't around at the time. When I switched from the bronze prop which was a lefty, to a stainless righty, other than a little hull lean when I was alone, everything still steered solid. Actually felt like power steering except at slow speeds.

Only improvement I found was in less prop slip and at WOT steering was more stable. Sounds like Matty may have some loosness in his steering along with the bent bottom? I'd be sure all the bushings in the helmet are solid and any slack in the cable back to the drive arm is taken out. I didn't experience the boat acting the way he describes at any speed all be it only 50 mph.

I know this isn't apples to apples, but I gained 1 mph by putting a Hydro on the Bravo1. It allowed the use of more trim with-out the prop cavitating. Like Geoo said, it looked racy fast on the trailer!

Forrest
06-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Brad,

Reasons why to add a Hydromotive nose cone to a Volvo Aquamatic drive:

Better handling.
Makes the stubby Volvo lower unit look great.

Reasons why NOT to add a Hydromotive nose cone to a Volvo Aquamatic drive:

Doesn't increase speed.
Is a real pain-in-the-rear-end to install.

GEOO
06-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Brad,
The added length of the nose cone can create more drag. Think of how the drive goes through the water when you trim way up.
I think I did gain 1-2 mph at cruise but the same or less 1 mph at WOT.
If you played with the angle the cone attaches to the drive maybe you could find some speed?
With the cone there is a new water pick up in front and a drain hole in the bottom of the cone. The drain hole gets filled with caulk and open up every winter so water doesn't freeze in the cone. I have the mounting instruction. I'll try and post them tonight, unless you have a fax?

Kent Perroux
06-24-2004, 12:42 PM
I had a Hydromotive on the old 280T drive.

I got the boat with the nosecone already on it. I ended up losing on one outing (probably not installed good) It was also slightly offcenter on the original installation. I cleaned up the drive and ran without the cone, lost a couple of MPH without the cone, also had significant blowout and could not get much trim above 60.

I put a new cone on it, made absolutely sure it was dead-on centered and installed solid. Picked up a little over 1mph from the original installation.

Definately worth the effort in handling, trim,(and looks). If you are running more than 60, I would recommend on the 280.

GEOO
06-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Brad, Do you run a Volvo Ultra? Is it the stock rubber hub? If so, be aware they don't last long before the rubber hub goes bad. With my 383ci (360 hp) they would only last 10 hours or so. I've heard of places being able to weld in a solid hub but was never able to find someone to do it. I could not get the Ultra to last so I switched to a Merc splined propshaft.

Moody Blu'
06-24-2004, 10:36 PM
GEO, who makes the merc splined propshaft for the volvo?
Im getting ready for a 418ci stroker kit and im thinkin I dont want to deal with blown hubs. With this merc hub I will have a wide range of props to run correct?

On the nose cone topic. I believe i am going to shave the lower unti down on my volvo lower to make it slimmer and building a custom cone for it. If anyone has a trashed lower i could use to experiment on that be great!

GEOO
06-25-2004, 07:57 AM
With the new Prop Shaft you can run all Bravo type props. I'm not sure where I purchased it (1996). One of the Catolog companies (+-)500.00. Try CP, Eddie Marine, Etc.. Looking back I would not of spent the money, save it and trade up to a Bravo. You'll nickel and dime yourself playing with the Volvo tring to go faster. :banghead:

Moody Blu'
06-25-2004, 08:01 AM
hmmmm perhaps someone will trade me for a asd6? I have two volvo drives complete, a 250 and a 270T :wink:

MOP
06-25-2004, 08:55 AM
I have been lurking on this one as it is of interest to me and bverd asked for input from guys that have or are running them. I have installed a few with varying reports from the owners, some reported super gains which I took with a grain of salt. I fully agree with the fact that they really help fast boats, but I will always argue the point that if you reduce resistance you gain in some way. Most everyone agrees that handling is improved with slight to moderate gains in speed. I have read everything I could here and on other sites, me I will do it if my project works out. Heck even it it only helps a little there is akways "Ramp :cool!: Factor"!

Phil