PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Play

Air 22
06-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Ok...HELP.... :smash: My 95 22 Classic has some "play" in the steering. Before the steering even engauges there is some play in either direction you turn in the amount of 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This slop seems to be in the housing found under the dash. other than that the steering works fine. I'm used to it now but would like to correct it if possible. I do not have external steering as boat only reaches 70-71 on a cold day. The current system is hydraulic w/ power steering.

BERTRAM BOY
06-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Dwight, Also check your steering cylinder, I've seen brand new ones with plenty of play.

Air 22
06-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Cliff....the play is there b4 the steering wheel mechanism engages. ie...just moving the wheel slightly left to right? :splat:

BERTRAM BOY
06-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Dwight,
I'm pretty sure that you have a Teleflex Big-T. There is no adjustment. When they wear out, you just replace it.
What I was getting at before, was that you probably have play in more than one place, and replacing the helm probably won't solve the problem. It will make it better, but won't cure the problem.
I installed a new helm, steering cylinder, and gimble housing in the 16, and there is still some backlash.
Other than installing full external mounted to the drive, you are going to have some play.
CDMA and I experimented with INTERNAL full hydraulic, but it wasn't good enough to run at high speeds.
Hope this helps.......

Air 22
06-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Cliff...ok any idea on how much to replace? how do u tell what brand system etc and adjust cylinder? 1995 Donzi w/ Bravo I Drive.

BERTRAM BOY
06-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Dwight you have mail

MOP
06-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Is your system stock cable to Merc power steering? I am pretty sure they still use the Big T Teleflex helm, they all have a bit of play but a few things to check.
1. Check the big cable securing nut to make sure it is seated tight to the housing, if not good and tight the cable housing will move in and out.
2. Remove the center cover on the steering wheel and check that nut for tightness, the wheel can be ever so slightly loose on the shaft, it is on a keyed tapered shaft.
3. On the back of the helm you will see a set of nuts one plain and one lock which secures the plain one that can be adjusted to get rid of end play. Meaning you should not be able to push and pull the wheel in and out when seated at the helm.
1/4+ is not that bad and usually not noticeable underway due to prop torque, much over a 1/2" the bushings are worn. Teleflex will no longer sells the rebuild kits you will need to spring for a new helm

Phil

blackhawk
06-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Air 22, if you have a teleflex hydraulic system and you need parts let me know. I pulled out my whole system when I added my hydraulic steering. Mine was working perfect with no play when I pulled it.

doug hess
08-20-2004, 07:56 PM
The 2 gear Telex is renown for rapid wear. The planetary gear system used in Ultraflex / UFlex is far superior. It is drop in replacement for Bad T's. It comes with adaptors to use the old cable. Usually is lower price also. http://www.uflexusa.com/mech_steer_sys.html#2