PDA

View Full Version : PNW Lake Chelan Event Recap

EricG
06-23-2004, 02:53 PM
I've got a bunch of pictures, and I think several of the others took some too, I'm hoping we can get a section of the Events gallery for this event (but for now it sounds like Scot has way more important things on his plate! :eek!: ). But for now....here's a recap:

We had a new record for a PNW event, 6 Donzi's.

Kath and I in the 18
David (MxRoadster) in his Hornet III
Jeff (Scubado) in his 22ZX
Brian (and guests) in his 22 Classic
Dave (and son) in his 22ZX
Craig (and wife) in their 25 Regazza

All of the Boats were Awesome, The weather was perfect, the facilities were great (other than the broken gas dock :confused: ) and the water lived up to it's traditional perfection. We had a few mechanical "issues", but I'll let the others elaborate on that if they wish. We ran over 110 miles on Saturday and I have never had that much fun in a boat :biggrin.:.

The highlight (which I really wish I had on film) was the fly-by of the "Lady of the Lake" Ferry. David and I went on the left side, Brian and Jeff went on the right, and we all flew passed the very enthusiastic crowd on deck at very high speed. I think most of the enthusiasm was due to David's excellent job in displaying his Hornet's hull design as he got COMPLETELY prop-out over the wake just behind the ferry. Had I not been so concerned about my own crossing of the wake, I would have definitely snapped a picture.

Here's a few pics for now:
Pic 1: Dave and David
Pic 2: Brian
Pic 3: Dave
Pic 4: Jeff
Pic 5: Steheiken (the end of the Lake)

EricG
06-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Here's a couple more shots:

Brian, Brian, and Dawn
Dave and Son
David
Jeff
Kath and I
The Donzi Holiday Inn

-EG

Kelly
06-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Fawk looks awesome, just needed my 18 with the standard issue tumor hatch, and the group would have been complete :biggrin:

bverd
06-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Chelan was one of my party grounds back in the day. It was always a dream to run a Donzi on that lake. The pictures look great, that lake is BEAUTIFUL.

Keep em coming guys...

--bverd

Kelly
06-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Chelan was one of my party grounds back in the day. It was always a dream to run a Donzi on that lake. The pictures look great, that lake is BEAUTIFUL.

Keep em coming guys...

--bverd

:biggrin: That's where I grew up, every summer since I was 10, with the Donzi.....How lucky I was

Cuda
06-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Beautiful. Looks like you had the lake pretty much to yourselves. :)

Cuda
06-23-2004, 06:08 PM
What is the elevation there? I see snow in the peaks.

Kelly
06-23-2004, 06:17 PM
What is the elevation there? I see snow in the peaks.

I have no idea, its hot as fawk there though, summer average temp is in the mid to upper 80's, while winter is around 20 :eek!: .

The lake is glacier fed, and is over 1500 feet deep though...

EricG
06-23-2004, 07:12 PM
The Lake is at 1000 ft according to my GPS. The canyon walls on either side are about 1500ft higher than the lake level (which when coupled with the 1500 ft lake depth, make it a plenty deep canyon :eek!: ). The peak in the background of the moorage picture is Mc Alester Peak which is part of the North Cascades National Park, I don't know how high it is, but Goode Mountain at 9,206ft, is highest peak in the park.

One of the things that makes the lake so unique is that the bottom of the lake (the town of Chelan) is part of the desert type Eastern Washington valley, whereas when you get up to the other end (55 miles) you are definitely in the Mountains.

Plus, there are only roads up 25 miles on either side, so the only settlement up the second half of the lake is Steheiken, which is little village that is only reachable by Boat or Float plane.

I really think the Florida boys should rent a couple of 18 wheelers and ship the boats up next year...it'd be quite a bit of boating "culture shock".

-EG
Oh yeah, here's another picture from the gathering....this was taken right before my heart stopped and I lost the ability to have Children....this lake is COLD :eek!: :lightning :eek!:

Cuda
06-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Oh beleive me, I'm familiar with how cold the water is in those lakes. We used to live in Portland, and went camping in the Cascades all the time. And deep lakes? Crater Lake in Oregon is 2,000 feet deep. Next to the Grand Canyon, Crater Lake is the most awesome thing I've ever seen.

Scubado
06-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks for posting those photos Eric. Wow! What a great weekend! The weather was just right, the lake was beautiful as always, and Donzi folks have to be the nicest people. And best of all, it was great seeing so many beautiful boats in one place.

I think the people on the shore got a treat too. One guy was talking about how they could hear us coming for miles. He couldn't figure out what might be coming down the lake, helicopters, airplanes, big damn boat. He was surprised to see a whole squadron of Donzis fly by and had to follow us to take a closer look.

I wish I had some photos to share with everyone but I left my camera at home. There were so many memorable moments, Eric's 18 kicks ass! He and Kathy had the biggest smiles as they were slicing through that great Chelan chop. Brian's 22 was pure style and class and it sounds sooo good! He keeps it in immaculate shape too. David's Hornet was so cool! The first one I've ever seen. It's such a solid boat. And of course, Dave and Jade's 22 ZX a man after my own heart. It was fun to have "twin" ZX's running out there, always wondered what my boat looked like running down the lake. Craig and Marlee's Regazza was cool too, solid ride and that red boat looks new!

I would like to suggest a sort of "Donzi Meet Exchange Program". Everyone should have a chance to experience a place like Lake Chelan, what better way than in a Donzi. I'd be happy to take anyone in my boat for next year’s event in exchange for a ride at his or her event. Anyone else like that idea?

EricG
06-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Jeff...I love the exchange idea - I'll obviously offer up a seat in the 18 to any visiting Donzi dignataries...

Cuda - after all this time, I didn't know you were a closet enviro-freak like the rest of us up here in the NW :wink: . I bet you secretly drink a lot of Starbucks too.... :biggrin.:

I've been trying to figure out how to post some videos, but they kept timing out when I uploaded them. So, here's some links to an external site...these vids were taken by Kath - and they are big files - but I know MX will want to watch them :wink:

Brian...and then David (http://home.comcast.net/~et.gudgel/brian_david.mpg)

Passing Everyone (http://home.comcast.net/~et.gudgel/passing.mpg)

-EG

Kelly
06-24-2004, 12:36 PM
We should do this again soon, once I get my boat back, and fully running....

Awesome pics, I'm sorry I missed it!

Kelly

MXRoadster
06-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Eric thanks for posting the pics and movies. The movies were great, not sure how I wound up being on the inside position in the movies but I know what boat to stay next to from now on... Most of my pics did not turn out too well. I guess I will have to learn how to use a camera and drive a boat at the same time, because most of the shots I have are looking at the sky or water.

It was great meeting everyone and seeing everyone’s boat, I look forward to another gathering soon. I would like to thank Eric and Kathy for talking me into taking the Hornet on such a long run up to Steheiken when I had not had the chance to run the boat in the water for any significant amount of time. The run was great and gave me a chance to test out the Hornet with the comfort of plenty of other Donzis around just in case I did need assistance with anything. Also I need to thank Brian for the small loan so I could get gas and make the return trip to camp because some absent minded person left his wallet in the truck.

smoothie
06-26-2004, 01:11 PM
All I can say is beautiful,boy them mountian tops are :smileybo:

DJ13
06-28-2004, 04:38 PM
That was a great time even with the technical hiccups! Let's do something like that again soon. Thanks David for the help with my starter. Glad you could fit completely inside my bilge compartment! Jeff, thanks for the ride, advice and entertainment during my down time. Eric, let me know when your band plays again and don't forget that I want a CD! Brian, nice 22 classic, and thanks for your offers of assistance! Craig, I enjoyed our fireside chat about your history with horsepower. Great group of people, great group of boats!! The few, the proud, the Pacific NW donzi owners!

Team Jefe
06-28-2004, 08:35 PM
WOW :eek!:

Awesome looking lake. There are not to many photos that I look at the background as much, if not more than the boats.

TOTALLY COOL :shades:

Does being the HM's boat B!tch make me a dignitary? :bonk:

b.guggenmos
06-30-2004, 07:54 PM
Just wanted to say what a nice group of people we have out west. Everyone was there to have fun and we did. It was great to meet you all. Now I can say I saw a Hornet III and also loaned him gas money. Bet not to many can do that. And then we got to do a floating jump start between boats. Who would think to carry jumper cables. Good job David.Saturday was an unbelievable day on the Chelan. People who have not been there are really missing out. There can't be many lakes that clear with perfedt weather and fast boats.I cannot figure out why I never took my Testarossa to Chelan. I looked at the boat trader ad and it looks someone did some cleaning up on her. Pretty good shine shown in the picture in the boat house. Someone should take a look.It was neat to have a mix of Donzi's and maybe next time there will be more. I still cannot believe that Jeff,s ZX is a small block. It really moves. Eric's 18 is pretty amazing also. Good air time. Some times more time out of the water than in.
Thanks again all who were there and look forward to seeing you again, Brian.

Kelly
07-12-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm going over there this weekend, but w/o the boat :(

DJ13
07-12-2004, 11:44 AM
You'll be wishing you had it! :wink:

Formula Jr
07-13-2004, 03:48 AM
Well its about time you east coast guys realized how cool it is to run a boat out here! We get all this crap from florida about the year 'round stuff. But you know what? After boating just about everywhere in the US, I can say that Chelan ROCKS! This is a top three lake in the USA. The short list is: Chelan, Tahoe, Powell. Note that all of those are west coast! next time there is an event, you might just think about a fly out and a seat/drive - they are offered. I offer that, just let me get the boat working again. :)

Formula Jr
07-13-2004, 04:18 AM
Oh and one more thing.
room 401
Crater Lake Lodge. ................if you can get it.
1-541-830-8700