PDA

View Full Version : Someone asked about boarding ladder I had

boldts
06-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Sorry, can't remember who, but they wanted a picture of the boarding ladder that was used on my 22 Classic. Sorry, no picture but the one I found in the magazine. The ladder on my 22 Classic was made for West Marine by a company named Wind-Line out of California. It folds up fairly small yet extends down into the water far enough to make it a comfortable climb back into the boat. Not sure if it would work as well on the 18 and 16 Classics due to the difference in hull sides. Ladder part number: 5497086 and mounting brackets number: 519355 Ladder has lifetime warranty and is a good solid piece.

We had the mounting plates on both sides so that the ladder could be used on either side of the boat.

Barry Phillips
06-23-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi Bolts, I have a 11" hook style ladder, which I purchased for my 18 from West Marine and it worked OK. I extended the hull stand offs to compensate for hull roll over when boarding. The ladder dose not fit my 22 though, the hooks aren't wide enough. I was thinking about a transom mounted dive ladder or mounting 2 clips on the transom with a standard style ladder that just clips in. I will check out that part number, since I rather not drill holes in the transom and craw over the motor hatch.

Thanks
Barry

boldts
06-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Hey Barry,

That was the nice thing about this ladder. It has a screw bolt that screws into the bottom of the hook part of the ladder. It doesn't try to put the whole hook over the deck. Those screws then insert into the mounting plates which are mounted to the deck where you would like to enter the boat. Mine were on both sides behind the stainless windshield. For the most part, right where the back bench is which also kept everyone off the engine hatch and made a nice easy step into the cockpit for us older folks.

If you want to use this ladder on the transom, it could be mounted there also. Just a matter of where you want to mount the 2 latch plates. You then can remove the ladder from the transom when not in use. You can also use some type of rubber foot step between the mounting plates if you so desire.

Yes, you could see the mounting plates, but they are so small, that when I bought the boat, I thought they were for hanging bumpers off the side. A little digging up under the front deck revealed the ladder and happy boarding from our swimming locations. :)