PDA

View Full Version : St. Petersburg, Florida-- Offshore Super Series Race-- June 24-27

Scott Heidt
06-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Here is the website: http://www.offshoresuperseries.com/raceinfopete.htm

Is anyone interested in getting together on Sunday for the races.

Qualifying is Noon - 4pm Saturday
Racing is 1:00 pm - 5:00 PM

There is also custom car show and motorcycle show on Saturday 10:00 am - ???

Also, there is an internation rum tasting event this weekend. MUST FIND! I will post that info when I find out.

We will have our 35' Catalina out there on Sunday if anyone wants to raft up. It is nice to see the race from the fly bridge.

Saturday's Qualifying will be hit or miss because I want to be on land to see the car and motorcycle show. This should be a blast. Anyone who wants to come to see the races and is not familiar with the area ( marinas, ramps, etc.) let me know I will be happy to help.

Hope to see some S.E.A.D.O.G.S and other Reg. Members! :)

Last Tango
06-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Yesterday afternoon, on I-95 in Jacksonville, I saw a black F1 closed canopy heading down already.

Cuda
06-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Yesterday afternoon, on I-95 in Jacksonville, I saw a black F1 closed canopy heading down already.

If it was black and had a canopy, it was probably Typhoon. They race Super V Light. That's one crazy crew! :D

ChromeGorilla
06-23-2004, 10:06 AM
LT, saw the same boat south bound 95 yesterday in joja.

Cuda
06-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Scott, the Opba, our local boat club, was supposed to have a poker run on Saturday. It was canceled because the Coast Guard wouldn't issue a permit for it because they had just issued one for the race. Since it was canceled, now the Opba is having a "No Permit Fun Run" instead. They are meeting off the Pier at 11 am to run to Jackson's Bistro in Tampa for lunch. I'm not sure if we are going to make it. I have a closing on selling my old house on Friday. I left the Formula there just so I'd have it there for the races in St Pete this weekend and next weekend in Sarasota. Looks like I'll have to move it a day too early. I may end up leaving it at a freind's place for the weekend. The logistics are killing me! :bawling:

Scott Heidt
06-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Wow that is wicked!

Someone should make a MONSTER DONZI! Get a 22 classic. Put a canopy cockpit on it and and a wild paint job. Oh and a tricked out 1075 HP engine!

Not practical! BUT COOL! :)

Scott Heidt
06-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Scott, the Opba, our local boat club, was supposed to have a poker run on Saturday. It was canceled because the Coast Guard wouldn't issue a permit for it because they had just issued one for the race. Since it was canceled, now the Opba is having a "No Permit Fun Run" instead. They are meeting off the Pier at 11 am to run to Jackson's Bistro in Tampa for lunch. I'm not sure if we are going to make it. I have a closing on selling my old house on Friday. I left the Formula there just so I'd have it there for the races in St Pete this weekend and next weekend in Sarasota. Looks like I'll have to move it a day too early. I may end up leaving it at a freind's place for the weekend. The logistics are killing me! :bawling:

Just let me know how it shakes out. We are leaving out of The Tampa Yacht and Country on Sunday around 11:00 am. I have not figured out where I want to anchor along the course yet. I might shoot out there on the Mako Saturday afternoon and watch a little of the qualifying to scope out the best place for Sunday. I will try to shoot over to Jacksons also. I would love to see some of the boats.

Greg K
06-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Scott, the Opba, our local boat club, was supposed to have a poker run on Saturday. It was canceled because the Coast Guard wouldn't issue a permit for it because they had just issued one for the race. :bawling:

Perhaps a result of the actions of Jimmy Buffett and his cronies..
Stop the Races.. (http://www.savethemanatee.org/taboatrace.htm)

Scott Heidt
06-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Perhaps a result of the actions of Jimmy Buffett and his cronies..
Stop the Races.. (http://www.savethemanatee.org/taboatrace.htm)

Thanks for posting that site. They put up a list of representatives to email and a list of items to complain about.
Now I can refute each and every item and email the Florida Reps. They actually made things easy for me! :0

Manatees are not stupid animals. They can sense and hear boats. When they hear the boats crank up and start running, they will head to a more secluded area.

Those that don't move away... Well Natural Selection. You know that is just part of life. A Manatee is not a predator so really everything out there is gunnin for it! That is the lot in life the poor manatee plays.

I love manatees, but these people twist the science and play on media driven fears. Actually the manatee population is doing fine. What about boaters rights?

Plus race control will be monitoring the area by aircraft in case a blind/ deaf/ or mentally challanged manatee wonders on the course.

All is well though. The race will go on! :beer:

Cuda
06-23-2004, 04:32 PM
In all my years of boating in the bay area, I've never seen a Manatee out in open water. They are near the grasses or in canals.

Scott Heidt
06-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Hey is anyone going out to the races tomorrow?

Leave a post or call me on my cell 813-267-2956. We will be out there around noon.

Cuda
06-26-2004, 08:58 PM
We are going. but probably staying on land. We want to leave early enough to tow the Formula back to Deland before dark.

We were there today. We were going to go by boat, but err, ahh, we were up rather late and felt just a wee bit under the weather. Our freinds we are staying with are the guys that put in the temp docks there. He got a call this morning that one of the pilings had come loose, so we went with him to fix it. It was hot as hell.

Scott Heidt
06-27-2004, 07:47 AM
cool. If you want us to pick you up at the pier for a couple of heats all you have to do is call. I'll come get you guys and take you back. It is no prob.