PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera research...

txtaz
06-21-2004, 01:09 PM
I just finished doing some digital camera research and thought it might help some out there.
I was looking for a semi-pro digital SLR camera. My requirements were fast record and response time, compact flash media, auto focus, auto red eye reduction, steady shot, F style interchangable lens and the rest of stuff found on most digital cameras. I came up with 2 options, the Nikon D70 and the Canon EOS 300D.
The following link has the best review I could find.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/

Total for the kit and 1 512Meg card was right at $1500 including tax from Best Buy.
Hope this helps.
Wes
PS, if someone wants a high quality digital camera at a great price, I'm selling my Sony Mavica CD-1000. Would like to see it go to a good home.

Brad Lyon
06-21-2004, 04:43 PM
You should also look at the Fuji S2 Pro, great shots out of the box. Personally I prefer the Nikon D100.

Brad

Tony
06-21-2004, 09:58 PM
The site you linked is a GREAT site for digital cameras, you will not find a better one on the net.
Of course you know to check ebay once you know exactly what you want:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43454&item=3822085027&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48541&item=3822023192&rd=1

txtaz
06-21-2004, 10:45 PM
Brad, The D70 is a newer version of the D100. I'm sure it's a name change and a minor upgrade to the software or something.

Poodle, "Photog"???? I like the ram cards it uses. I can take it from the cam and plug it into my laptop or printer. It will be nice not having to waste 23Meg to close a session on a cd to transfer pics to the puters. (As in my other cam) Also start up time is nothing, hit the on and start taking pics. I also have a buddy who is big into photography, not pro but buys the pro stuff. He highly recommended the D70.

Thanks Tony, I'm glad you enjoyed the site. For me with electronics, I prefer new. You generally get a 1 year warranty which is around the time weak electronics fail. They either fail quickly or last the mean lifetime. So it's good to have a year to "burn" them in. NOW, getting them repaired on warranty is another issue.
Wes

Brad Lyon
06-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Wes, the D70 is not the replacement for the D100. It was introduced to compete with the lesser quality and cheaper (priced) Canon's. The replacement for the D100 is still in the works.

txtaz
06-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Brad, I did not know that. One of the reviews I read said it was an update to the D-100. I guess you can't believe everything you read on the net.
The new camera will be here tomorrow and I'm off to take some shots of the boat when the weather clears up. I'll post some but I have a feeling the file sizes are going to be big. Time to brush up on photoshop.
Wes

txtaz
06-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Thanks Scott,
Yup, Nikon does it right. I have some tools for resizing, I wanted to do some testing between the tools I have and see what the best quality/file size will be.
I'll post the results after playing with it.
Wes