PDA

View Full Version : This sucks......

Hanker
06-21-2004, 07:18 AM
Well, we finally got out on the water for the first time in a while. Busy working, Yard, out of town, you know how it goes. It was a beautiful day, and we were taking our new neighbors to see beautiful Biscayne bay for the first time. In fact, they have only been on a boat once, and that was on a lake.

So, we show them around and we finally anchor off Elliot so the kids can snorkle. We just set the anchor when I hear a nice sounding motor. It's Poodle motoring sound (I would recognize that beautiful 18 anywhere), and I start waving. He finally sees me and we raft up, and shoot the shot. A good time was had by all, and I mentioned that I had not filled up after the last couple of outings. Poodle suggested I head to Alabama Jacks for lunch, but I said I was a little worried about fuel, I'm just going to run to Scotty's, I can get some fuel and be close to home.

So we started heading north, of course I can't let Poodle simply run way from me, so we ran WOT for a bit. Of course he still ran away with little effort (got to have a more motor). A few minutes from Scotty's we waved good bye to Poodle, and few minutes more, I lost power. My wife (in the back seat, who had been reminding me regularly about the fuel gage), says "don't tell me......" So, I promised I wouldn't - she was not amused.

So there we are, with our new neighbors, bobbin in a busy boat days chop. I put on the the happy face, but I'm really thinking, this sucks...... Well, Nextel only works when you don't need it to, so Poodle was not an option. And I'm about break down the spend the money on Seatow, when a guy takes pitty on our kids - thank god for the kids. He tows us to the brand new fuel dock. We had some issues with a couple of blow-boats (man, they really hate us), but that's another story.

It all ended well, I blamed it on the neighbor - he's a big dude, so it must have been his size, right? The moral of the story, I will never be lax about fuel in this boat from now on. I was, and still am, embarrassed. I have never had this happen, I guess I am used to my fishing boat. I'm posting this so you might have a little chuckle, and as a warning to those who might be playing it a little close.

Rob

Hanker
06-21-2004, 07:40 AM
The rule will never be broken again!

You and Gary take the wifes and kids. I'm running.....with a full tank of course.

Rob

txtaz
06-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Hanker, Own a boat long enough and it's bound to happen some time. I was on the lake on a Monday, all marinas closed (I didn't know at the time) and testing the limits of our new boat. Seems as if 1/2 tank means 8 gallons left. So here I am floating around begging for fuel and get a couple of gallons. I make it within a 1/2 mile of the ramp and run out again and get a tow from a deck boat to the ramp. How embarrasing.... Now, I don't put in without a full tank. AND at least I know my gas gauge doesn't work. When it starts bouncing off the full mark, I have a half tank left. I'm going to check into rebending the sending tube to get it more accurate.
Wes

Rootsy
06-21-2004, 06:20 PM
towed in??? oh man i've run out of gas.... i feel for you... sunday morning idling cruise with a cup of coffee.. feet on the dash... kicked back.. radio down low.. just listening to the chevy rumble.. then spit and sputter.. cough... UGH...

towed back by a pontoon boat was a much more attractive option than SWIMMING the boat back... :eek:

least it wasn't a rag bagger :)

J - NEVER TRUST THE FUEL GAUGE

Doug L.
06-21-2004, 07:02 PM
MP will save when you need it, I know this for
a fact.
Thanks again Scot.
Doug :beer:

Hanker
06-22-2004, 04:15 AM
towed back by a pontoon boat was a much more attractive option than SWIMMING the boat back...

Man, I really don't like that visual, a Donzi being towed by a Pontoon boat..........I'm starting to feel a little better.

We actually ran out at the end of channel, as a blow-boat was coming in - under power. He started blowing his horn and his wife starts screaming at us..........they get around us, but as they are passing, we said we ran out of fuel, and the lady just shugged her shoulders and looked the other way.

I think it was the same boat poodle pulled out from the bridge on our trip to the keys.....same type of boat, same age couple. Man, they hate except when they need us.