PDA

View Full Version : BUIZILLA, what is this car?

gcarter
06-20-2004, 05:15 PM
OK Jim, here's a quiz to which I'm sure you know the answer.
This is a picture of me behind the wheel of a VERY famous Buick (that's right, BUICK!) powered sports racing car from the early '60's. No, I didn't get to drive it, but it's probably worth more than my house is.
Now, what is it? Who built it? Who were some of the very famous drivers who won with it? :idea:
I was going through some photos today and when I saw this one I immediately wondered if Jim knew what it was. After all, he knows more about Buicks than anyone! :biggrin:

George

olredalert
06-20-2004, 05:56 PM
-------Ive seen that car at the Monterey Historics I do believe. There were several home-mades from the same builder. All had great success and I think all but maybe the last one used white walls and still beat the Ferraris. This guy could make a nail-head scream. Wont say any more than that and give Jim a chance, but I know he will have the answer as well!............Bill S

Donzi Dreaming
06-20-2004, 06:00 PM
That's 'Old Yeller'. Embarassed many a Ferrari in its day!!!

Lots of history in this vehicle. Built by Max Balchowsky and was driven by Carroll Shelby. Powered by a Buick 'Nailhead.'

:D

gcarter
06-20-2004, 08:49 PM
I saw this car last year at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elagance. I was fortunate to speak to the owner at length, a very nice Japanese American. This car, and its builder Max figured very large in my youth (I was a big fan). The owner wanted me to tell him what I remembered about his car, and what sort of impact I thought it made in sportscar racing at that time in California. It was a happy time. Not only did he let me sit in the car, but he gave me this pin signed by Carroll Shelby. It was almost as exciting as meeting and speaking with Phil Hill several years ago.
Great memory; :yes:
George

BUIZILLA
06-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Lot's of new Buizilla members on the board now...

:rolleyes: :incredibl

J :spongebob

rayjay
06-21-2004, 07:37 AM
There's a connection here. Anyone know what car this is?

rayjay

gcarter
06-21-2004, 09:22 AM
Does this car possibly have something to do with Whacky Arnolt? I know he built a number of specials before he did his Bristol Bolide deal. The truth is there were so many specials in the '50's and '60's, a guy with some imagination and engineering skill could build a car and WIN!!! :fire:

George

Last Tango
06-21-2004, 10:19 AM
There was a special on SPEED last month about Old Yeller. Ran several times.

rayjay
06-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Does this car possibly have something to do with Whacky Arnolt? ... The truth is there were so many specials in the '50's and '60's, a guy with some imagination and engineering skill could build a car and WIN!!! :fire:

George

Nope, but close. That is the Flying Shingle built and campaigned by Ken Miles in California during the mid 50's. He later went on the campaign Porsche's like the "Pooper" and then hook up with an old chicken farmer named Carroll to turn a British / American hybrid into a serious race car. Ol' Yaller was a good old Hot Rod that could go around corners and the Shingle was an under 1500cc low cg special (that's the top of a 50's pushrod MG engine sticking through the hood) that with Miles driving could poke its nose in with the Ferrari's that Shelby and Hill drove during the same era and Ol' Yaller.

I was lucky enough to see Miles test the 427 Flopper Cobra, the 427 prototype still with the AC buggy suspension, at Bridgehampton probably the year before he died. He was amazingly smooth and fast. When the other drivers who were testing it that day, I think Jerry Titus was one, drove it the direction it was pointed and the direction it was going usually had nothing to do with one another. Sort of like Ol' Yaller I below.

rayjay

gcarter
06-21-2004, 04:24 PM
I remember the "Shingle". I had completely forgotton about it and Ken Miles. The truth is, if you would have asked me, I would have said the Shingle was more angular. I don't remember it being so "cuvacious". I did remember it being an MG.
Considering how successful some of these specials were, I think it had more to do with the sorry state of affairs in post war Europe, the talanted enterprising young hot rodders in Southern Califoria, and the very flat airport courses that predominated in those days.

George