View Full Version : exhaust for small block ford

DAULEY
06-17-2004, 06:29 PM
where can i get exhaust for my 302 hm and what should they cost
thanks bob

mphatc
06-17-2004, 08:15 PM
You have very few options . . .

There is the OSCO center riser units , cast steel, not pretty . . search all over, everyone has these FS

Or Ebay where occasionally you'll find a used set of log style . .

No one makes a set of good wet headers foir a SBF

I'd love to develope some, but this is an expensive proposition!! Find enough folks and I could be persueded to do this with the company that builds my exhaust products now.

Mario L.

Tony
06-17-2004, 08:32 PM
One word...Kodiak.

Moody Blu'
06-17-2004, 08:51 PM
well, thats not true mphatic. cmi makes a set of stainless headers for a 302/351w but they cost $5000!!!!!

Tommorrow I am buying a set of aluminum manifolds with center risers for my trusty ford through cp performance, the outlets ont he center riser are for 4" hose so it looks like i will be buying some polished stainless tips with stainless internal flappers :shocking:

the whole exhaust kit comes with mainfolds, exhaust gaskets, header bolts and risers for $875

the polished stainless tips with stainless inernal flappers cost 68 bux each!!

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.asp?product_id=430-53-2009

mphatc
06-17-2004, 09:21 PM
somehow $5000.00 for a set of headers doesn't fall into my description of "good"

Mario

DAULEY
06-18-2004, 07:22 AM
Tony
who selles kodiak for fords
thanks to everyone for there help
bob

BillG
06-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Moody,
Make sure the risers are really 4 in. in aluminum. I bought the same manifolds with the stainless risers that are 4 in. They told me the aluminum ones were 3 in.

Bill G

Forrest
06-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Kodiak aluminum risers have 3-1/2" OD outlets with a 3" ID - plenty big enough for a 302 cid engine. The only issue with Kodiak risers or any stock-type cast riser, is that they are short and prone to reversion when used with a performance camshaft.

Short of CMIs, Kodiak center-rise aluminum manifolds are the way to go for a small-block Ford.

What Broque is buying from CP is most likely a set of Kodiaks without the Kodiak name cast into the side of the manifolds. That way they can be marketed as the Hardin brand. BTW, that picture shown at that CP Performance link looks to be a big-block Chevy manifold.

BillG
06-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Forrest,
If I remember correctly the manifolds from CP are marked Barr on the side by the ports in small letters. The risers have the Hardin name on them.

Bill g

Kirk
06-18-2004, 09:41 PM
I see all this discussion on various exhaust / riser options. Over the last several posts. No mention has been made of Glenwoods.

I understand Glenwood Marine (www.glenwoodmarine.com) do make a header style version for ford power p/n 42720 item no. 959 they should run under 1k easy.

I have a set of old glenwoods with a sbc 350. I am almost done with a re-power. The exhaust was part of the package when I got my boat and does have a steady drip so it does need to be replaced.

So.....not to get off subject what do you all think of Glenwoods. They seem to have served the previous owner well and look to be quality. Provided I can get the green light from the boss another NEW set looks immenient.

KJ

knots2u
06-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Try searching the web for "Barr Marine", they might still be making manifolds.

mphatc
06-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Just found this on Ebay

brand new supposedly!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31285&item=2482628003&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Mario

MOP
06-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Mario the guy won't ship, I sent these to Broque and Bob a few days ago. Seems dumb that he won't ship, he will get his money up front and shipping from there can't be that bad.

Phil

rustnrot
06-21-2004, 04:26 PM
I can get the Glenwoods thru CPPerformance. I have a dealer account with them. Let me know if you need a price.

smoothie
06-21-2004, 07:48 PM
I see all this discussion on various exhaust / riser options. Over the last several posts. No mention has been made of Glenwoods.

I understand Glenwood Marine (www.glenwoodmarine.com) do make a header style version for ford power p/n 42720 item no. 959 they should run under 1k easy.

I have a set of old glenwoods with a sbc 350. I am almost done with a re-power. The exhaust was part of the package when I got my boat and does have a steady drip so it does need to be replaced.

So.....not to get off subject what do you all think of Glenwoods. They seem to have served the previous owner well and look to be quality. Provided I can get the green light from the boss another NEW set looks immenient.

KJ

I like mine and with my travels at work I can safely say that newer designs are not always better if you know what I mean....do a search for log manifolds or log exhaust for some additional info.

Moody Blu'
06-21-2004, 08:06 PM
I can get the Glenwoods thru CPPerformance. I have a dealer account with them. Let me know if you need a price.

Rust n rot, i emailed you, please call me as soon as you have a chance to. I was about to pick up the phone and order them and i saw this postHopefully i can get em a little cheaper through you(Hope).

thanks broque (Brock)

973-615-2132

Bill G, I did verify with them the risers were 4" i also have to buy the 4" tips with internal, Stainless flappers. Does anyone know if the stainless flappers work well or are they bad news?

smoothie, I love how the glenwoods look but thats all they are LOOKS. the 90 degree turn the exhaust gas has to make kills the power. Ill do anything for more and the leaking glenwoods are giving me an excuse. Honestly, they did serve there purpose for 3 years running in the water(1990-1993 , 9 years on land, then another 2 back in the water(once i decided to waken it from the dead). I tried to put new gaskets on the glenwoods to fix the leaks but the bolts started breaking :mad: so i left em alone.

the glenwoods i had looked really nice though, they matched the lines on my valve covers.I'd rather have the performance though. :umbrella:

smoothie
06-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Blu' so far no one has stepped up to the plate and said how much more "performance" you will get over alum. logs if any,so where are you getting your info??? And you still have the 90 deg. turn with the center risers.....

Moody Blu'
06-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Blu' so far no one has stepped up to the plate and said how much more "performance" you will get over alum. logs if any,so where are you getting your info??? And you still have the 90 deg. turn with the center risers.....

well actually its not 90 degree, there swooped up, not like the logs where they hit a brick wall and then turn 90 degrees.
My source for this info is well frankly, big griz, forrest, mad poodle :cool: you know... THOSE guys. :biggrin:

secondly the hardin manifolds have individual primaries for more torque then a regular log or center rise.I have already thought about porting the manifold a bit to help it breathe more.After all there aluminum manifolds not steel so i can use my trusty old foredom and hopefully wont take much to port. It may not be worth it though.

smoothie
06-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Sooo I'll ask ya again Blu' how much "performance" are you going to get with the hardins,believe me I would like to get rid of my logs too but so far havent found anything to make the change...

Moody Blu'
06-21-2004, 10:25 PM
well the guys i mentioned said anywhere from a 5-15% gain.
they all pretty much said center risers will give an improvement over ANY log.

MOP
06-22-2004, 07:57 AM
I remember walking into class at Volvo tech school and seeing the big slab sided center risers, they made a big deal about the power gain they said they were good for over 10HP on the SBC. I think they were the first to produce the center riser setups, followed shortly there after Merc switched then OMC. On a different note I have seen logs that had the ports curved to direct the flow toward the outlet they should flow well also. The individual runner type manifolds are the best, only a few of the cast models continued the runners into the riser to get really good usable length. SB's seem to like 26-30 inch runners depending on whats been done to them and the RPM range they are run at. I think logs are great for the purists but not for the performance guys.

Phil

smoothie
06-22-2004, 10:47 AM
I remember walking into class at Volvo tech school and seeing the big slab sided center risers, they made a big deal about the power gain they said they were good for over 10HP on the SBC. I think they were the first to produce the center riser setups, followed shortly there after Merc switched then OMC. On a different note I have seen logs that had the ports curved to direct the flow toward the outlet they should flow well also. The individual runner type manifolds are the best, only a few of the cast models continued the runners into the riser to get really good usable length. SB's seem to like 26-30 inch runners depending on whats been done to them and the RPM range they are run at. I think logs are great for the purists but not for the performance guys.

Phil

Well said Phil, Im proud of ya :biggrin:

Moody...Heres a manifold that does not pass water through the gasket surface between the manifold and the riser,and a reversion plate installed.Dont know if they do Fords...

http://www.gilmarine.com/

Moody Blu'
06-24-2004, 08:07 PM
well dauley this thread has a bunch of info and I will be adding to it in a week or so.The order was placed today from cp performance :beer:. I tried to go through a buddy on the board but he didnt take amex :bawling: so I just bit the bullet and went for the gusto. I ordered the hardin manifolds and hardin stainless risers. Which by the way, are POLISHED risers!!! :hyper: The exhaust needs 4" tips so I went with the standard length angles 4" tips. trouble is there on back order and CP ordered them a month ago. Im hoping the shipment comes in soon.

Oh wait you want to know how much?(damage) ehehe a little under 1500 for everything :fire: :nuke: I wish i could have gotten it for under a G note. U know what though? u gotta pay to play :wink:

I had asked RICK (hes under the technical dept)at CP how many they had left after i ordered them and he said it was the last set. :confused: So, i told him a couple fellow donzi owners would want some. He said he wont order till they call, so call up and get your order in. They dont charge until its shipped!!I will have pics of everything when its all said and done.the great thing about these manifolds are there aluminum so youll lose soem weight off the cast steel ones and have individual primaries.

ummmmm, I just hope my boat starts....if it dont theyll be for sale :o

MOP
06-24-2004, 08:18 PM
BeeRock Zoom Zoom Zoom! :beer:

BillG
06-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Moody,
Just make sure the risers will bolt to the manifolds. I ordered the same set on March 2. When they arrived the riser mounting holes did not line up with the holes in the manifolds.
I waited until about two weeks ago for the new risers to arrive. They look great and fit fine now. I hope the problem has been taken care of.

Bill G

DAULEY
07-08-2004, 06:26 AM
received my order from cp .got exhaust ,risers no tips had to get else where they were out of stock but i forgot to order the s pipe you my also need it because of height dif
hoping to be in the water by weekend

Moody Blu'
07-08-2004, 07:56 AM
I knew IT!!!

dauley you got my order!

the guy at cp screwed up and sent u my manifolds.

his excuse was the kit was the aluminum kit not the stainless kit,(even though it was the last kit in stock)

well have fun with it, im sitting here waiting for my stainless kit. :splat:

p.s. whats the s pipe? are you gonna run hose back from the risers instead?

Moody Blu'
07-15-2004, 08:11 AM
any pics of the exhaust system bolted up dauley?

DAULEY
08-20-2004, 09:11 AM
pixs in wanted section under 302 exhaut and risers