PDA

View Full Version : Is it too early to teach Stella to tread water?

2biguns
06-17-2004, 09:06 AM
We were worried that at 6 months she'd be afraid of the water but she's obviously part duck because she loves it.

She still loves the boat!

gcarter
06-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Steve, I have no personal experience, however I've read a number of articles about teaching infants to swim, sort of.
As I understand it, they aren't born with a fear of the water, they learn it. Some larger comunities have classes for infants, like at the "Y".

George...childless, but I too stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night. :bonk:

Cuda
06-17-2004, 12:02 PM
None of my children exhibit any fear of the water. Oops, I just realized I'm in the same boat as George.......no kids! :biggrin:

Debbie has a son who is autistic. I've been around him since he was two (now eight). He loves the water. You can dunk him and when he comes up he is laughing his azz off. In the tub, he thinks it's great sport if you aim the water out of the faucet at his face. :)

2biguns
06-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks, George. We've heard the same thing and have had Stella in the pool since she turned 6 months old (she'll be 7 months next week) and she floated with me in the lake last weekend in her life jacket and loved it.

I've heard the same thing about kids and water and wish my parents had dunked me when I was little. Instead I HATED water until I was about 10.

Of course, we maintain a death grip on her anytime she's in or near the water (photoshop is a wonderful tool!).

ToonaFish
06-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Of course, we maintain a death grip on her anytime she's in or near the water (photoshop is a wonderful tool!).

Whew, while acknowledging her naturally superior motor skills at this precocious age, I was dumbfounded by the synchronized swimming pic... thanks for clearing that up!

Bunches,

Celene 'no kids, but in the running for Aunt of the Year'

2biguns
06-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Of course, she is far and away more advanced than any other child of her age :jestera: alas, her ability to hover in the water has not yet progressed to the point depicted in the photo.

I e-mailed a copy of the picture to our District Court Judges and both threatened to call the Department of Human Resources on me for allowing her to swim alone. Of course, both Judges were going to place Stella in their personal custody pending an extensive hearing to be held in 2008.

DonziChick
06-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Well, no kids of my own, but I've been swimming for as long as I can remember. Apparently when I was little my parents tied an inflatible pool off the back of the boat, let water warm in the sun a bit in there, and plunked me in the pool. I've never had a fear of water, so my advice is stick her in it as long as she's got a life jacket :)

(for more specific details email JerryEisele because I certainly dont remember when I was that young!)

mikev
06-17-2004, 02:27 PM
our daughter who is 8 now loves the water we started her out in the kiddy float tube when she was about 1 by the time she was 2 she was all over the pool in swimmies water wings whatever you call them. the funniest thing was every time a wave would hit her in the face she would gag sometimes barf then keep going talk about no fear.

Bob
06-17-2004, 02:53 PM
My son (now 8) started in the pool at 4 months with Mom. Swimming (floating) lessons at 15 months. Followed by blowing bubbles, holding breath, learning to kick. No fear but much respect of the water by age 5.
Last summer I capsized the Laser (sailboat) with him in 3' waves- no panic.
IMHO the earlier the better- great programs at the YMCA. Swimming is a terriffic confidence builder for all kids.
One other tip, start them in life jackets early- they learn to like them and what child doesn't look great in a Snoopy preserver! :yippie:

Ed Donnelly
06-17-2004, 04:13 PM
All 3 of my kids started a 3 mths. All were enrolled at Jack Butler Aquatics here in Toronto.Now at 11 9 and 8 yrs old, they are still taking lessons. They all know life saving too.They spend at least 2 hrs in the pool everyday from April 1st, to Dec 1st. Bit of a b**ch getting out of the water when it is30 F outside....Ed

gold-n-rod
06-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Of course, both Judges were going to place Stella in their personal custody pending an extensive hearing to be held in 2008.

You may want to see if they'll hold off a few years...... say until she is 15 or so. She'll still want to be swimming nekkid........ but with boys!!!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/outtahere.gif

You'll need all the help you can get!!!!! :eek!:

another Randy, lived through those years..... thankfully!

Surfer
06-18-2004, 07:50 AM
You got to start 'em off early down south, swiming pools / lakes everywhere. A good way to start is blowing bubbles, it seems like fun for the kid, but it teaches them to exhale the water, not the other way...I took my kids by the beach on the way home from the hospital, they're never to young!

Fish boy
06-18-2004, 09:03 AM
my parents taught me to swim at an extremely early age by rowing me out into the middle of the gulf and tossing me overboard. It was a piece of cake once I got out of the bag. LOL :biggrin:

fish

Digger
06-18-2004, 12:05 PM
I say the earlier the better. But don't use a bag like Fish's folks did.