PDA

View Full Version : Classic 22' Put her in the ocean??

yorkey
06-16-2004, 08:18 PM
This is tough for me to decide...

I live in OC California and am contemplating heading out of Newport Harbor with my 1992 22' Classic. She's never seen Salt Water (So I am told...) I bought this boat from my boss who bought it from someone else who wasn't the first owner.

On a quiet enough morning, I think she would survive the swells out there, and finally I wouldn't have to drive 5 hours for a decent body of water (Lake Havasu).

I know it would become a major undertaking to try and keep up with the corrosion after each use, and I'm prepared to dedicate the time and energy... but would it be worth it? Can I pull off high speeds in the ocean, or would it just beat her up too badly?

Thanks for your input!

Donzigo
06-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Virtually all of the boating we have done for the last 35 years has been in the salt waters around Tampa Bay, Florida. We go out about 350 hours per year. We ALWAYS wash the boat after each use and run about 1/2 cup of Joy through the engines for a period of NOT LESS THAN 10 MINUTES each and ONLY at an idle. There are a number of others who have various methods of flushing; but, this has worked for me.

Go enjoy that DONZI in the ocean, man! It was made to be there. Some "sissies" won't put their boats in the salt...................."nuts"!

MOP
06-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Go Play! One of my favorite things I did with my "16" was to go out of Shinicock inlet into the Atlantic sorry not the Pacific! Riding the swells is great, high speed needs to be done in the troughs or you will do way to much air time. Some of the best times I had with the little 16 was out there. But beware if it turns to **** it can be real hairy getting back in, not sure if you have to run an inlet they are quite interesting. A few times I had to stay on the back of a wave playing throttle tricks to get back in.

MOP

gcarter
06-16-2004, 08:55 PM
You can always add a heat exchanger too.

http://www.oceaneastmarine.com/

About $600.00 delivered and then don't worry about it.

Oh yeah, welcome to Donzi never-never land.

George

TMANN
06-16-2004, 10:17 PM
We run ours in salt three time a week all year with no problems. You just have to make sure you wash and flush after each time. Also invest in about 100 cans of WD40. I always spray a thin cover of it over my engine after each time and wash the engine every month. It might just be me but I like to spend time cleaning more than fixing. As for the waves you will learn to love them.

TMANN

Digger
06-17-2004, 07:09 AM
I lived in Orange County for a few years. I used to put in at Newport Dunes at the bottom of Newport Harbor. It's a nice facility and they have a good ramp. Algae on the ramp is an issue at low tide there but if you have 4wd then no problem. It's a nice idle out to the channel. Of course you can tie up at Hooters if you need a break on the way.

On the flattest day there will always be a little swell running, usually from the NW. Just keep an eye (ear) on the weather via VHF and you'll be ok. Catalina wouldn't be out of the question as long as weather is good and the swell isn't running too bad.

I use Saltaway for motor flush every time. Its available everywhere now, interestingly enough it is made in Newport.

You won't be able to go out every day. That was my chief complaint about west coast salt water boating: not many inlets and rivers and bays, you're just sort of hangin out in the Pacific ocean as soon as you launch. Any boat in the Pacific Ocean is small. A 22 classic is just smaller.

my opinion: enjoy, with caution

RedDog
06-17-2004, 07:15 AM
While it won't be a regular occurrence, I will be launching my '98 22 C in the salt in 2 days. I am staying in the Keys for a week and just couldn't pass up the opportunity for some ocean cruises :party:

Morgan's Cloud
06-17-2004, 07:25 AM
I was thinking of this yesterday ..

ALL of our boating is done in the salt... in truth VERY salty water.. Boating in fresh water is completely foreign although very desireable to all of us over here ..
Yes .. much higher maintenance schedule and deterioration to be expected in salt but to paraphrase something that was said when I was in the army years ago ...

As lovely as our Donzis are they're not made of sugar ! :D

When you are out in the ocean you will probably find that your 22 will 'talk' to you in a much different way than it does in inland waterways. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

S

ToonaFish
06-17-2004, 07:34 AM
While it won't be a regular occurrence, I will be launching my '98 22 C in the salt in 2 days. I am staying in the Keys for a week and just couldn't pass up the opportunity for some ocean cruises :party:

Is this the place with the cannon?

Bunches,

Celene 'we want pictures'

Pismo
06-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Salt is such a killer. Nothing like fresh water........Lots of 1950s boats on my Lake with original manifolds, blocks, original everything........So nice not to worry about it.
I avoid salt like typhoid. 2 months in salt equals about 20 years in clean fresh water so flush, flush, flush.

Cheers
SL

Dax McDavid
06-18-2004, 12:36 PM
yorkey,
Do it! I love going out the jetties (in my Dads 22zx) around Port Aransas Tx, in the Gulf of Mexico. My X-18 is too small. Both of our boats have heat exchange systems (I highly recommend). I also wash them both down and flush them with Salt-Away(formula that is supposed to eat away salt). I don't know how well it works but it gives me piece of mind. One more thing. If you are planning to do the salt thing, you really need an Aluminum trailer. You will be shocked at how quick it will destroy a steel one.
dax

Forrest
06-18-2004, 02:40 PM
If you bought the boat primarly to have fun with, then go out and dunk it in the ocean an have a blast. Now on the other hand, if you bought that Donzi so you could stand there and look at it then . . . well anyway, after having fun in the salt water, be sure take the wash-and-flush-out advice from the salt-water boaters above before putting her away. You and your Donzi will be fine. :wink:

McGary911
06-18-2004, 09:12 PM
I have what some would consider a somewhat rare old Donzi. I live on the Atlantic ocean. Guess what the boat rides in. Salt. Sometimes brackish. Yes the maintenance will be more. FLUSHFLUSHFLUSH when youre done. But the point of these boats is running them. If you have to drive 5 hours for fresh, or 1/2 hour for salt, guess which one you'll get to more often. I'm pretty busy with work and other stuff, but when i get to work on monday after a boat weekend, there is almost nothing that can wipe the smile off my face. You'll get that much more often if you put it in closer to home. Damn the Salt!!!, I'm riding my Damn Donzi!!!

Marlin275
06-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Ocean Bred Performance Boats
Hell these went Miami to Nassau just for testing!
What salt? The Damn waves will get you first!
Busted motor mounts got the engine out faster than salt.

cigarette30
06-19-2004, 01:33 AM
Guys, hate to "rain on your parade" but the 22" is simply to small for normal ocean swells .... took the 04 out today, should have known better .... was not that rough, and still think the iner inner tabs broke loose, and I was VERY CAREFULL. The 22' is great in most any bay, but just not meant for the ocean. As far as salt water, flush, and a REAL good bath, any many years of service lies ahead.

Cuda
06-19-2004, 06:05 AM
I avoid salt like typhoid. 2 months in salt equals about 20 years in clean fresh water so flush, flush, flush.

Cheers
SL

Let see, according to that formula, my boat is 2,160 years old. I reckon it must be time for a new one.

Pismo
06-19-2004, 09:55 AM
I should have said one season in salt equals 20 seasons in clean fresh water. That seems more on.

Cheers
SL

Cuda
06-19-2004, 10:27 AM
I should have said one season in salt equals 20 seasons in clean fresh water. That seems more on.

Cheers
SL

Okay, now my boat is down to 360 seasons old.

My point is, salt ain't the devil as long as you do proper maintanence. The only thing I wouldn't dunk in salt is a steel trailer. One dunk, and it's over. Rust never sleeps.

Pismo
06-19-2004, 03:07 PM
Cuda,

Have you ever lived/boated extensively on fresh water? There is no substitute, salt is the devil, even if you flush/rinse the damage is still severe compared to clean fresh water only. I've done both extensively and the difference is huge even with the most careful hand. Lights, switches, bow rails, rub rails, trailer lights, gelcoat, graphics, and on and on all get such abuse compared to clean fresh water only. But if all you have is salt, you have to boat somewhere.............

All the Best,
SL

Donzigo
06-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Pismo................yes, life would be better if I had fresh water, I won't argue that.................but, gee whiz, I live in Florida, do my boating in SALT, always have, wash my boat after every use, flush it too, never had a corrosion issue, use my boat 365 days a year, for 30 years.............what a bummer. but, like you said...............if it's all I got?

Cuda, so, my boat is 320 years old............wanna race? You saw it sailing through the air when crossing over that big wake in Boca Ciega bay, that day..........gives me chills to think that old of a boat might fly like that? ..............I don't think my boat knows it's age............

Cuda
06-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Cuda, so, my boat is 320 years old............wanna race? You saw it sailing through the air when crossing over that big wake in Boca Ciega bay, that day..........gives me chills to think that old of a boat might fly like that? ..............I don't think my boat knows it's age............

If we do, we'll have to do it next weekend. The 302 is still over there. We plan on coming next weekend to take the boat out for the last time before bringing it east. Once we get the Formula over here, it may get it's first ever taste of fresh water.

Moody Blu'
06-22-2004, 07:58 AM
Guys, hate to "rain on your parade" but the 22" is simply to small for normal ocean swells .... took the 04 out today, should have known better .... was not that rough, and still think the iner inner tabs broke loose, and I was VERY CAREFULL. The 22' is great in most any bay, but just not meant for the ocean. As far as salt water, flush, and a REAL good bath, any many years of service lies ahead.
:cool: dude, what are you talking about?

ive been out in 5-6 foot swells in my 18 and I was on and off the throttle but it was nothing the boat couldnt handle.Hell if i really wanted to i could skim right over the top of the 5-6 footers, but the boat would take a pounding.The 22 is that much better in rough so i dont know where the " not for ocean use" came from.

Cuda
06-22-2004, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=Moody Blu']:cool: dude, what are you talking about?

ive been out in 5-6 foot swells in my 18 and I was on and off the throttle but it was nothing the boat couldnt handle.Hell if i really wanted to i could skim right over the top of the 5-6 footers, QUOTE]

Now that I'd like to see.

cigarette30
06-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Cuda,

Could not have said it better ...... Lifeline jacket and helmet I hope ....., and a good fiberglass shop.