PDA

View Full Version : Need Prop.....ass End Coming Loose

kjly63
06-16-2004, 07:21 AM
At 3500 RPM the ass end of the boat takes a left :eek: Never had anything like this happen in 26 yrs of boatin. I have the original brass 20" prop on it now; tried a 23" and was alot worse. It seems the ass lifts up and to the left and the bow turns down to the right.
Any ideas.......the boat is a 20 Cig. with a 350 chvy and Volvo 270 drive.

:confused: any imput would be helpful.

Ken

classic_18
06-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Ted had a Cig 20. Maybe he can help.

ToonaFish
06-17-2004, 08:04 AM
...the ass lifts up and to the left and the bow turns down to the right.

I just hate it when that happens.

smoothie
06-17-2004, 08:31 AM
Ken,not trying to be the funny man here :biggrin.: but is Matty sitting up front with ya when this happens,if so have him sit in back and to the left just to see what happens :idea: reason I ask this is because I have a friend that rides with me sometimes and I have to use my trim tabs to correct the weight difference and also alot of trim...

penbroke
06-17-2004, 09:27 AM
My 18 does the same type thing at about 3200 rpm under acceleration. It's fine at steady speed in that range. It just sort of fishtails for a bit and then straightens out. I'm running a 200 drive with a 14-3/8 x 23p prop. Maybe it's a Volvo/big ear prop thing?

Frank

mattyboy
06-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Ken,not trying to be the funny man here :biggrin.: but is Matty sitting up front with ya when this happens,if so have him sit in back and to the left just to see what happens :idea: reason I ask this is because I have a friend that rides with me sometimes and I have to use my trim tabs to correct the weight difference and also alot of trim...

WTF is it bash Matty week or what??? :rolleyes: ;)
we moved the trim to highest setting boat rides much better only happens now at near WOT
boat needs bow lift

Matty

mattyboy
06-17-2004, 02:33 PM
I have to hold down the fort today round work cause I'm not around this weekend and then tom. morning as Scott is heading north I head south pull the 250 of the chicken shouldn't be that hard a job have the tools and a couple of rib eye steaks and a pic of Cliff for the white goat :tongue:
;)
having a drive hanging party tonite

Matty

TuxedoPk
06-17-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm confused as to when to use "Matty Tabs". According to Scott, he's never seen Matty actually working.

kjly63
06-21-2004, 01:17 PM
:cool: I put the locking pin up 1 notch to the last position and got rid of the loose ass end. Only problem now is a bit of cavitation and still can't open her up. I get the tach up to 5000 rpm :eek: and have more to go.
I recnditioned the original brass 14 x 20 prop and thats what I'm running now. Looking to get a new Stainless cupped prop.
Any ideas would be appreciated on this.
1972 20 ft Cig. 350/300 hp & Volvo 270 drive. Boat weighs about 2500 lbs.

:sombrero: Matty sure does take alot of abuse ! I'm sure there will be stories to be told after the Lake George w/e. :rlol:

Kenny