PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure What I Got?

cool
06-15-2004, 10:03 PM
hi all .i just bought this boat but i dont know much about it . i think it looks great and i wanna restore it.it is a donzi omega 17/18ft ? 1968/70 serial # mc21010970280

out drive volvo penta serial#p2nr2523491b the motor is a 302 ford holmen and modey competion proven serial # d1hm 3106 1 rw 1/0 i cant seem to find any info on this boat. if anyone has heard of it or would know were i start,to look to get some info on it would be great. the seating has one seat behide the wheel one the left hand side with a 3 seat wrap around behind it...the back engine cover is really raised high and splits in the middle to open

MOP
06-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Haven't got a clue but would love to see a few pics.

MOP

Formula Jr
06-15-2004, 11:29 PM
pHow do you know its a Donzi? Title? Or some other means? Stickers don't really mean anything, people put donzi stickers on just about anything.
Shepard, a Licensed Canadian Builder of Donzis, may have called their version of the 2+3 18 an Omega. Here is where a pic would indeed equal one thousand words. I'm really interested in how you described the engine hatch. There's something we use to call a coffin top Donzi, which had a very domed engine hatch, more so than any of the boats I've ever seen in a very long time and it was not just a corsican or a x-18. But the memory of that hatch is still very clear in my mind. It may have been a rare option in early Donzi history. It split in the middle with no center hatch. And latched fore and aft.

mattyboy
06-16-2004, 06:28 AM
Judging by the volvo ser. num it is a 250 b 1.61:1
and the holman moody number it is
a 71 302 106 built standard automobile rotation raw water cooled made for an I/O application
the other serial number for the boat starts with mc??? when were HIN numbers mandatory?? 72/73?

monza craft??
master craft???
pics would help

Matty

ToonaFish
06-16-2004, 07:20 AM
When you sort the Registry boats by hull number, MC appears on a handful of 69ish 16's.... no photos though...

cool
06-16-2004, 08:37 AM
i will post a few pictures in the next couple days i gotta get my digital camera working. i was told that the back engine cover was called "the Coffine " i will post a coulple pics as soon as possible i do have 3 other serial numbers that came off the boat that i can post later tonight thanks

Fish boy
06-16-2004, 11:27 AM
I am also intrugued by this boat and especially the hatch. By any chance does the boat look like this but with a different hatch?

Fish boy
06-16-2004, 11:30 AM
almost forgot, WELCOME TO THE DONZI REGISTRY COOL !!!!!!! :biggrin:

Fish

boldts
06-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Cool,

Glad to see you made it here to the Registry. If anyone knows what you have, it will be someone here. Cool had e-mailed me and asked these questions. Me being no expert, directed him to the Registry and the help available here. Welcome and looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Wow, another mystery boat to learn about with an engine hatch most of us including me have never seen before. :hyper:

PS, if digital won't work, Kodak offers developing with a CD included if you use a regular 35mm camara.

Mr X
06-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Does it look like this one?? :bonk:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3713

Fish boy
06-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Sweet ride Ted! I was wondering about your next project. LOL

cool
06-17-2004, 05:30 PM
here are some pics i just took.it is in ruff shape that is why i am looking for some advise on weather i should restore it...your advise would be great you wont hurt my feelings...for what i paid it is worth it for the engine........sorry i cant get the pics to upload ? i will keep trying

Mr X
06-17-2004, 05:38 PM
here are some pics i just took.it is in ruff shape that is why i am looking for some advise on weather i should restore it...your advise would be great you wont hurt my feelings...for what i paid it is worth it for the engine

Cool, email them to me, I will upload them for you.
tedwork@tampabay.rr.com

Lenny
06-17-2004, 05:52 PM
I think it sounds like a 16 with the wrap around seating and an odd raised cover. The Shepard connection by Owen is another possibility. Anyways, "cool" where in Canada are you from/living? I think this makes it about 6 of us now. :D Hope you get the pics loaded.

Ed Donnelly
06-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Yeah Lenny our numbers are growing in leaps and bounds. We are now bigger than the California clan. Sheppard never varied from the original mold. Their first run of 16's came with 260 fords and Eaton outdrives...Ed

cool
06-17-2004, 06:39 PM
i am in southern Ontario i just emailed acouple of them to hp600 hes gonna post them for me

Mr X
06-17-2004, 06:54 PM
I just added them to this thread in my previous post.

Its not a Donzi.... :confused:

ToonaFish
06-17-2004, 07:04 PM
No kidding, but do you have any clue what it is?

cool
06-17-2004, 07:06 PM
i really hope that someone knows....i got a bunch of picture if more would help the front windsheild part was a bad add on...if it is not a donzi anyone got a guess at what it would be?

:spongebob

Mr X
06-17-2004, 07:21 PM
My guess would be a converted Tahiti or powercraft......
but just a guess......almost looks homemade.

Donzigo
06-17-2004, 07:23 PM
.............................you know, it does look somewhat like a Donzi with it;s pointed bow and barrel-back. Is that made of aluminium?

Donzigo
06-17-2004, 07:26 PM
................oops, forgot to congratulate, nice picture of you & your pal in your first DONZI, Ted. I'll bet cha thought you were living large, when you first got it, huh?

cool
06-17-2004, 07:43 PM
it is totally fiberglass and the inside is setup like a sweet sixteen with the sinlge lefthand seat and the wrap around in the back...the only thing i got that told me it was a donzi was a hand written bill of sale

Mr X
06-17-2004, 07:44 PM
Richard, actually THIS is my pride and joy!!

Donzigo
06-17-2004, 07:49 PM
.........uh, that would be you in the back corner sitting as a small boy, yes, I knew you got the boating bug when you were small.

Fish boy
06-17-2004, 08:02 PM
Stooopid idea, but is it possible someone could have splashed a 16, and then customized it to their liking?

Lenny
06-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Hull forward of midships looks like the Formula Junior. Entry strakes look pretty much the same. The tumble home has certainly "begun" on this hull but doesn't finish itself. BUT, considering the deck, it could be a hacked up FJ and the transom area and hatch all added to confuse us :D :D :D

Keep in mind the arc is there for the inner radi "I" inside the cockpit surround and the FJ had the "similar" layout except for actual dimensions in its' 1 + 3 layout. Very similar in fact to the Ski Sporter except the cushions are not quite the same.

What I would like to know is the exact length (+ or - 1/2" or so) of the hull on top to best your ability. That might lend a hand as to your starting point.

Not a DONZI tho...

cool
06-17-2004, 08:14 PM
well thanks for your time at least i know what it is not it is exactly 17 ft. i just remeasured it from tip to back

Lenny
06-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Be right back,tape measure in hand. :D

My Formula Junior is 17' 3" long so rule that out unless they cut 3" of the transom off and therefore lost some of the "Tumblehome"... :confused:

NOPE, they didn't do that either. 3" forward of the transom still has a ton of negative flare. Twice what I see here.

No idea... :(

BUIZILLA
06-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Ya know, that kinda looks like a 17' Champ model that was made in OpaLocka, Fla for a few years in the late 60's. That engine hatch setup looks REAL familiar. Seems to me the rear hull sides had more roundness to them though.. Just a stab in the dark.

JH

thriller
06-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Sorry about your luck. Minus one from the Canadian registry. Were back to 6...Now that you got the Donzi thing in your blood, go to the bank..see how much jake you can muster up and start over. There are some reasonably priced Donzi's that need a little love. Search and you will find..
ps. Welcome to the Board..You will find a lot of good info here and even better members to share it with.
Mike Miller:cool:

Formula Jr
06-18-2004, 12:43 AM
This could be a lot things, Invader, Tahiti or a Sidewinder.. Confirmation points, Strake to Bow and deck don't match Donzi or Formula. But that Hatch, IS the hatch I saw on some Donzis in distant memory. Photo of the bow deck is needed and if it has a lip to a recessed foredeck. And an in-line photo of the transom. The boat appears to have neutral or even a bit of positive shear. Deadrise looks like 19 degrees from what I can see. What's the beam at the widest point of the deck? Sidewinders were really wide.

olredalert
06-18-2004, 08:30 AM
---------Buizilla, fountain of all that is south Florida wins the award. That is posativly a Champ. Jim, you and Baxter know someone that has a beautiful original low hour Champ of this style. Does the name Gary Licko ring a bell?????? Dave Walters accountant and friend? Gary bought it brand new because he couldnt afford a DONZI. He put a few hours on it and life intruded, and he never took it out again. It needs fluffed but is otherwise very nice. Unfortunatly, he couldnt afford a V8 either. It has either a 4 or a 6 with Volvo 250, I believe...............Bill S

BUIZILLA
06-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Ding, Ding, Ding...

Gary also has one of the only white '69 Yenko Camaro's ever produced too, came from Douglass Chevrolet...

His office is in Dave's office. I have been there. I have never seen his boat though.

Ted and Kirk Swing's father, my next door neighbors on the canal in Miami Shores, bought a Champ brand new. '67-'68 maybe? it was solid navy blue hull/white deck/white guts, 4 cyl 110hp Volvo/250 drive, no trim. Kinda a slug with low power....

JH

olredalert
06-18-2004, 11:04 AM
-------Gary likes that "boats, planes, cars" weekend down at the Reef and told me he was going to freshen the Champ up and take it down there. Being 1300 miles away I dont know if he did or not. Thats got to be a pretty cool weekend however!
-------Ask him about the Champ sometime as he will take you over to his house to see it anytime now that hes retired...........Bill S

-------A PS sideline: I worked for Jack Douglass Chevrolet for about 4 years in the classic Corvette department. Lived about two long blocks from work in Hinsdale. Small world, HUH!

cool
06-18-2004, 07:38 PM
formula jr the boat at its widest is 8 ft and at the rear it is 5 ft.i got more pictures but i cant upload them for some reason...What is a champ?

gcarter
06-18-2004, 08:05 PM
-------Gary likes that "boats, planes, cars" weekend down at the Reef and told me he was going to freshen the Champ up and take it down there. Being 1300 miles away I dont know if he did or not. Thats got to be a pretty cool weekend however!

Hi Bill;
I've thought several times about going to that Whoop-de-doo...but living here in Florida, I thought it was overpriced for the payoff. So I almost always go to the Amelia Island Concours, which is every bit as good as Meadowbrook Hall, Mt Dora of course. Now both of these shows are in March so you can usually see both of these in two weeks if your inclined. Then if you like planes, there's the big EAA show in Lakeland, aslso in March, but I don't follow that much more. I guess Bike Week is in there too. You can have Vehicular Overload here in March.
Come on down sometime.

George :wavey:

BUIZILLA
06-18-2004, 08:18 PM
The Champ boats were built a couple blocks north of Ali Baba Ave and just west of NW 22 Ave on the south side of the street in a small, maybe 3000 sq ft, single warehouse. They made just the 17' for starters, not very many, then tried to build either a 21 or 22 footer, which they made prolly less than a dozen or so. Don't remember the exact numbers they made, as I was only 14 or 15 at the time, and I watched the first 22 come out of the mold. They may have ventured into a few tri-hulls at the time too. I don't think they were around maybe 3 or 4 years tops...

Between Aqua-Sport, Hewes, Warren Craft, Woodson, Champ, Donzi, Dolphin, Fiber Craft, Challenger, Fibra, Thunderbird, Formula, Prowler, Nuta, Hauptner, Cary, Action, Allmand, Magnum, Mako, Glander, McGee, Brueill, Norseman, Bertram, Scotty Craft, Sea Bird, Sea Craft, and a few others, Miami was a BUSY boat builders paradise in the mid-late 60's and early 70's. I know, at one time, there were over 30 boat manufacturers in Dade County alone, between 1969-1973.

JH :boat:

DonziDave
06-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Buizilla and Olredalert get the prize...It's a "CHAMP".
Back in the early '70's when Holman Moody was building the engine packages for Donzi, they also bought some Champ boats. H/M put 302's in them with volvo drives and sold them themselves from their shop here in Charlotte. I had two friends who each owned these boats. Very high quality and pretty quick for the day.
The windshield is a bad add on...take it off. The interior was the wrap-around "cocktail" seating like the 16. The rear seat back followed the curve of the hatch. Very cool looking...!!!
If the boat is solid, it is worth restoration...They were really neat boats.
Good luck....Dave

BUIZILLA
06-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Couple things I remember about these boats from my being in the neighbor's boat.
They had very little to no chine, especially aft, kinda wet in mixed chop slop, would ALWAYS roll water over the transom in low speed tight turns...
The vents and cleats on this one are not original, the upper engine hatch clasps look original, as do the hatch hinge design.
Don't laugh, but the DolFin was NECESSARY, wasn't on the market back then, but I KNOW why it's on there now :smash: ...
The beam at the helm was VERY wide for a 17' boat, the transom was much narrower. It was not a pop off of anything existing at that time, it was fresh design stuff. If COOL can take a pic looking straight down, you would be amazed at it's girth. Awesome boat actually. Ahead of it's time back then. It took a LOT to get them on plane, cause they would squat on takeoff so much you could hardly see over the bow. I can only imagine the squat with a V8, I thought then it was terrible with a 4cyl. I never saw one with tabs either...
I seem to remember the fuel tank vent being in a piss poor location too.. :smash:
The engine hatch split in the middle, and if the cushions weren't snapped over the engine hatch, it would rattle like hell. Lord forbid, the rain water that entered the engine room when it rained hard from that hatch design... :eek: they never left it in the water overnight, if showers were in the forecast. It WOULD have sunk... they kept it on the same dock as their Magnum tunnel hull, in fact we used my davits a coupla nights. .
They NEVER came with a windshield.
I can only recall ever seeing one V8 Ford model, around '70-'71 timeframe, and it was red/white, and was davit stored on Miami Beach... at the time, it was fast as hell in our minds, maybe 55+ ?? With a non-trim 250 you had to run it on the outer pin hole for cruising, and the bow lift on acceleration was humorous... Imagine an SK flat bottom boat in deep V design. BUT, it ran extremely flat and predictable. The hull needed reverse chines though for more lift.. especially with the narrowed transom design.
The 22 they tried to get going looked an awful LOT like todays 22 Classic's. Scary close... wouldn't surprise me a bit if.... :lookaroun

more as my memory returns...

JH

olredalert
06-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Jim,

-------Garys has a Taylor-Made windshield on it that it was ordered with. As you might imagine he didnt want too much wind mussin up his hair!.........Bill S

BUIZILLA
06-19-2004, 08:56 AM
What color combo is Gary's?? windshield?? yuk..., unless it was designed like a Hornet windshield :yes:

PM me his home address, time for a look-see, I haven't seen his Camaro out lately, except at the Homestead show about a year ago, he was parked right next to my HO GTO.

JH :idea:

olredalert
06-19-2004, 11:06 AM
-----Ya know Jim, my memory says blue metalflake but I could be wrong. The windshield was Taylor-Made. Looked as if it came right off a Hornet............Bill S

Arie S
07-14-2004, 08:55 PM
I have a 68 champ sitting in my yard I have never seen another like it I have been trying to find some info on it. It had a 289 or 302 interceptor in it with a 250 volvo drive It has the same seating as a Donzi. It is very in the middle and very narrow in the rear. It has a very large fiberglass bubble hatch in the rear. At this time i have the deck off. It was a real bitch the deck and hull were fiberglassed together on the inside. the deck and seats are one piece like the donzi. The boat is all original it has the interceptor guages and the old roll and pleated interior. the logo on the sides of the boat said Champ XVII Champion Boat Co Miami. Fla I will try to get some pictures soon if anybody is interested The hull is light blue and the deck is white and blue.

BUIZILLA
07-14-2004, 10:07 PM
:yes: of course we wanna see pic's... LOT'S of them.

Those are awesome boats and extremely solid for their size. They just didn't break.

JH