PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Need Classic advice.

DoTheMath
06-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Hey all... So, I am (fairly) new to this board, although I did just buy an '04 18 Classic thanks to it. :smile: I was interested in what you guys that have 18's with 350 Mag's are running for props. The boat currently has a 23 Mirage Plus on it and I have read about (and owned) Turbo's in the past and they seem to work really well as far as carrying the bow and planting the stern. Any thoughts on what works best with this set up? It has the Bravo Drive upgrade and tabs, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have owned several larger perfomance boats in the past (two Formulas most recently), this is my first foray into something this size in a long time.

Thanks very much and I look forward to reading and contributing when I can to this site.

-Mark-

ToonaFish
06-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Congratulations!

I'm sure one of the guys will pop in with prop advice soon, but in the meantime welcome to the Donzi madness!

Bunches,

Celene

txtaz
06-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Hey Mark, Congrats and welcome. I have a 23 Mirage + on my 18, 350 Mag and from what I have read, it is the best overall prop for this boat. It gives a little more bow lift than some of the others, but not the fastest out there.
Hope this helps,
Wes

tamburello
06-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Mark-

Congrats on your new toy and welcome to the family of Donzi owners!

If you do a search on the site for prop information you'll turn up a ton of prop related threads with some very helpul info to get you started in matching the right prop to your 18.

I am by no means a prop expert but the Mirage Plus you are running should be a good prop to run if you are looking to maximize your top end speed. However, a four blade will help settle your hull and give a more stabile ride than your Mirage.

A lot of the 16 and 18 owners really like the hydromotive Quad IV and Quad IV OT for its stabile ride and performance. I am running a Turbo 2+2 four blade on my '94 18 with a 350 Mag and it has definitely helped to improve the handling and make it ride more stabile than my three blade did.

Have fun with your 18 and when you have a chance test some props!

- Jeff

DoTheMath
06-17-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the welcomes and the info guys (and gals;) ). I am going to run the boat for a few weekends and get some good baseline info on the Mirage + and then see what I can find for options. I just remember a friend of mine had (and still has) an '87 Powerplay 185 XLT w/ a 260 - Alpha set up and back when it was new we put a Turbo 1 on it and it changed that boat all-together, for the better! Figure loose similarities between the two, so who knows?

Thanks again and I look forward to swapping stories and info on this site with fellow enthusiasts!:cool:

-Mark-

Donzigo
06-17-2004, 09:44 AM
You've got the right prop.

Trim tabs are a matter of opinion on such a small Donzi. IMHO - they are not needed.

Welcome to the board!

Jump in, sit down, hold on, we might be opinionated (imagine that); but, no one here bites (ok, well, not hard.....)

Richard

txtaz
06-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Hey Donsigo, I was surprised to find tabs on my 18 when I bought it. I didn't think a small boat would need them, but I find myself using them all the time to balance load. With some more seat time I plan on using them for performance, ie, trim up and tabs down to see what will happen at different speeds. Good thing I have a kill switch. LOL Now if I just remember to hook it on.
Wes

DoTheMath
06-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Donzigo~

I thought the same thing about the tabs, but I am glad that I have them, better to have and not need then to need and not have... From the quick demo ride that I took in the boat, they will be good for adjusting the attitude of the boat in different conditions.

Is it Saturday yet!?!?:biggrin: