PDA

View Full Version : Bravo-1 Trim Adj. Spacer

RickSE
06-14-2004, 04:45 PM
The Bravo-1 on my 2002 22-Classic does not seem to go down far enough. The boat seems to have excessive proposing and will blow out the prop if I throttle up hard from a standing start. I've heard there is an escentric trim spacer where the trim cylinders mount to the gimbal housing and that the spacer is flipped one way for a Bravo-1 and the other way for a Bravo-3. When the spacer is flipped in the direction for the Bravo-1 it's supposed to pull the drive down lower. Does anyone know more about this? I know 22's will porpoise some but mine seems to be excessive and the only way you can drive the boat is with the tabs down.

I need to find a way to tame this "Wild Child".

Mr X
06-14-2004, 05:06 PM
Rick,
with your engine, it is the nature of the beast.
Mine would porpoise between 35-50.......nothing you can do
other than tab it down.....and thats a weird ride.
I would never drive mine between 35-50.

You will also require several hours of seat time to be get dialed in as a driver with "THAT" boat.

Yours does not have a trim spacer, just a lot of power and it will spin the prop in a heartbeat while comming out of the hole.....you must learn to feather the throttle.

Dr. Dan
06-14-2004, 06:09 PM
:spongebob I can hear it now....but honey we have to Idle at 60 to reduce the porpoising!....Should be a fun weekend....if things behave ...our Modified Classic will get wet this Thursday!

Good Luck Rick ...keep us posted...ours never had a problem with porpoising...but I use my Tabs all of the Time....just depends on how rough the Bay or water is...

Modified Doc :beer:

roadtrip se
06-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Rick,

Same issue here, but I always thought it was the shortie.
If I were a betting man, I would say that your X-dimension ain't stock with the SE.

Another way to settle her down is props. The Mirage 29 I ran had a much more noticeable porpise than the Quad 27 and 28 I run most of the time now. A little less speed, but much better handling all the way around.

By the way, I never use my tabs. Trim seems to settle her down enough and I can cruise at any speed I want without watching the horizon go up and down.

Agree with Ted, seat time weedhopper, seat time!

Have fun out there!

Todd

RickSE
06-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Cool
I was hoping to talk to you guys for some pointers on driving this thing. I'd greatly appreciate any advice you have. After driving the SE around all weekend I now realize how easy the 18 was to drive. This is what I wanted though, a driver's boat. I'm now officially addicted.

This was the first time out with the boat, and yes I need a lot more seat time :eek:. We tried a few times to accelerate the boat w/tabs-up and drive through the porpoise without much luck. I finally just put the tabs down, got the boat up to 55-60 and pulled the tabs up to a point where I felt safe. Seems like you still need one tab down though to keep the boat level due to the prop torque. I plan to put indicators on the boat before I go out again.

I knew the 22 would porpoise with big power and a shortie drive but I didn't expected this much with a standard lower. I'm also wondering if a different prop would help? Seems like a lot of guys here are running the smaller diameter Turbo props. Also, it actually seemed at times as though the porpoise would become less severe when I trimmed up slightly, opposite of the 18. I'm not sure what was going on there and I know I still have a lot to learn with this boat. BTW I never got the trim up past or even reasonably close to the first mark on the Gaffrig gauge, just didn't want to go there yet.

Bad-Tat
06-14-2004, 06:59 PM
Todd,
Do you think I should do the no tab thing on Bad-Tat???

Mr X
06-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Rick, you might want to check the trim indicator for proper operation. Sounds like it is out of adjustment........
You should be at the third mark at least.....

I would run on the 5th mark BTW, but that is with the shorty.

Trim the drive in all the way, then losen the stainless clamps
on the drive ram sender and slide the stainless tube to the first mark on the guage, then tighten it up again.

P.S. I had no issues with your boat at all when I was in it........rest assured, its a good one.

RickSE
06-14-2004, 10:41 PM
HP,
The trim indicator on this boat is mechanical/electric. There is a cable from the drive to an electronic sending unit inside the transom. The sending unit is then connected to an elec. Gaffrig trim gauge. I'm assuming it was done this way because Gaffrig does not make a round face mechanical trim guage. Anyway, I adjusted the sending unit when I got the boat, set the guage at the bottom mark with the drive full down. What concerns me is how far up I can go before getting into the "trailer position". The trim up button goes straight up nonstop before hitting the full up position. I'm just not sure yet how far up I can go before things get nutty. The guage has 5 division marks and when the drive is all the way up it is on the top mark. I figured for now the first mark is safe.

I'm sure the issues are with my current driving skills and not the boat. I'll just take it easy and learn the boat. What a fun weekend we had though. The boat is an animal and got lots of comments and looks on our trip. I took some friends for a ride up to 70-MPH (my comfort level) and upon coming back in they said, "the one thing that boat does not need is more horsepower" and "thanks for advising us to wear lifejackets". They knew the boat had power but seemed to be amazed at the acceleration.

Dr. Dan,
Get ready for it, your next. I had to explain to my wife all weekend long that the ride is much smoother when I go faster and stay on top of the waves. Lake Powell is down 113 feet so the water gets extremely rough in some sections due to heavy traffic running through some very narrow conyons. The canyon walls are extremely steep so the waves just come right back into the channel, probably 3-5' washing machine water. We had to drive through about 15 miles of this in a boat full of camping gear with two adults, a 7 year old and a 4 year old. We had fun though and certainly passed a lot of boats. I should have a few pictures this week.

Thanks again for the advice. Seat time it is, I'll work on it.

RedDog
06-15-2004, 08:18 AM
For a Bravo I, the spacer should be in the forward position. I tried in the rear and the result was a lot of porpoising.

roadtrip se
06-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Mr. Bateman,

Tell you what, you go out and try that no tabs idea first and come pick me up when you figure it out in the BadTat. I'll be on the dock waiting bro and probably for a long, long time....
anybody seen Bateman?

Rick,

The only time I ever had to drag a tab due to torque steer was when the Mad Dog convinced me I should try a left hand Hydro P5. The fun part was watching his face when the boat kept trying to toss him in the drink :eek: :eek: Of course, he got the joy of watching me throttle and attempt to dock with a backwards throttle handle!

I can hit the throttle and go no where fast, but torque steer hasn't been a problem since I went to the bigger diameter, 4 and 5 blade Hydros at 15.5 inches. I tried a Mirage 27 at 14 3/8 diameter and that bugger was a killer. Saw the sun during testing with the nose of the boat, idled back to the dock, and broke out the tequila to celebrate still being amongst the living. My experience says more pitch and diameter, not less, but the shortie has something to do with this too, I'm sure.

Good luck and keep us posted on your testing,

Todd

Rootsy
06-15-2004, 10:03 AM
hmmmmm... wanna go for a 2nd ride todd??? should i bring the shine this time? :D

JR - bring on the BIG chop

RickSE
06-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Here are a few pics from the trip. These are from a friends camera and I don't have mine yet. The guy with the 22ZX was trying to run a 21P Mirage and having all kinds of problems, prop blow-out and hitting the rev limiter. It was a 1999 w/310 HP 7.4L MPI. I suggested he go back to a 4-blade 22P B1 prop. BTW, Powell is at 3500 ft. elevation.