PDA

View Full Version : Check oil?

chip w
06-14-2004, 02:51 PM
OK, I've spent about 12 hours down in the hull of my new (to me) '69 Sweet 16 working on various things and one thing that seems to allude me is a means of checking the oil. The engine is a 302 HM Cobra. No dipstick on either side of the block or a tube for one to go into. What gives? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rootsy
06-14-2004, 02:53 PM
old sbf's... 289's and early 302's.. dipstick in front cover of motor... enters where front cover meets oil pan...

chip w
06-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks, I'll check tonight.

DOND
06-14-2004, 02:59 PM
I have the same boat, same year and the same engine.The dipstick is on the starboard side of the engine very close to the back of the cockpit, almost under the overhang from the deck. If the engine is original it should be painted ford blue.
Hope this helps.
Don

chip w
06-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Couldn't wait until tonight, so I just checked and found nothing. I'm pretty familiar with the front of the engine but I might be missing something. I recently removed the water pump, located at the bottom of the motor in the center, and replaced it. To the left of that, as you face the motor, and just above is the alternator. To the right is something that looks like it may have been a mechanical fuel pump (disconnected and is currently using an electric fuel pump). Top center is the distributor and to the left is the thermostat housing. Right under the thermostat housing is the coil (conveniently located and somewhat touchy when there's a leak from the thermostat housing! The oil filter is on the port side. Unless I'm missing something, it's not on the front. I'll have to climb down in the hull to check. Seems like a tough way to check your oil on a regular basis.

chip w
06-14-2004, 03:45 PM
I have the same boat, same year and the same engine.The dipstick is on the starboard side of the engine very close to the back of the cockpit, almost under the overhang from the deck. If the engine is original it should be painted ford blue.
Hope this helps.
Don
The block is painted black and although I don't think that the previous owner did any engine work I'm not sure before that. The location you're talking about is right behind the alternator. Is that correct?

chip w
06-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Dond, I looked on the front starboard side. No luck. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Chip.

mattyboy
06-14-2004, 07:37 PM
mine is at the 9 o'clock posistion from the dist. cap
as said before very close to the deck overhang
69 351 w

Matty

chip w
06-15-2004, 08:01 AM
OK, I just spent 15 minutes in the hull looking at the front of the motor. No dipstick or tube to put one into. On the front cover it says "INTERCEPTOR" above the serial number. Above the alternator and below the coil it says "LH" and "260" right below that. No check tube at 9:00 from the distributor. Any other ideas would shure be welcomed.

Chip

Rootsy
06-15-2004, 08:08 AM
WELL isn't this just a pisser! :smash:

photos? this thing isn't a V-drive is it?

chip w
06-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Yeah, my thoughts exactly! I'll get some photos this morning and post them. My wife thinks that stuffing myself down in the hull is my favorite activity!

ToonaFish
06-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Common guys, be nice to the newbie and stop sending him on a snipe hunt! :biggrin.:

(Dunno where it is either...)

DOND
06-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Chip, I looked at my boat lat night. The dipstick comes up rightr in the middle of the starboard valve cover and just behind the alternator. I tried to follow the tube down to the origin but I could not get a hand on it.I was looking for where it went into the pan. If it is not there, then some modifications must have been done sometime.
Don

Rodger
06-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Sounds like something has been changed. Maybe you have some kind of mix between a HM and an Interceptor (since you mentioned that Interceptor is displayed). On many of the Interceptor setups, special aluminum oil pans were used that had the dipstick integrated into the oil pan. Also, there would be a special aluminum timing chain cover assembly that did not have the dipstick built into it, which is typically where Ford has it. Possibly something has been changed and your missing that special oil pan. If it is of any interest, I have the original aluminum timing cover, oil pan, and exhaust manifolds for and old SBF Interceptor setup.

chip w
06-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Finally got home and got some pic's of the motor. Still no luck in finding anything. Maybe there have been some modifications, but here are some pic's. Hopefully someone will either see something that I don't or can verify that there have been changes.

Thanks All!

Chip

DOND
06-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Chip, Your engine is definetly not an original HM. Your exhaust
manifolds are HM but the intake manifold and valve covers are not.There has been some past posts with pictures of an all original HM 302. Dauleys boat is an original HM 302 maybe he can email some pictures.
Don

MOP
06-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Being as you may not have a way to check the oil I have an idea you may want to try, install a pan oil drain kit they come with a decent length of hose. Refill the engine with the proper amount of oil start it to get the level correct. Now take a length of the 3/16" OD clear plastic line the kind used for direct reading oil pressure gauges, take the cap off the oil kit hold it up next to the exhaust manifold and slide the plastic tube down into it, it will stop when it hits the pan fitting. Pull it out and mark it with a small V notch in the tube where the oil level is, you now have a flexible dip stick and an easy oil drain system. I have installed several kits of this type on various things it works real nice.

Phil

mattyboy
06-23-2004, 08:24 AM
This is where it is on my 351w, yours is definetly not a h/m setup
but I will tell ya when I got my boat the dipstick tube was pulled out of the pan a little and I almost pulled it all the way out but I got lucky and spotted the tube moving as well, maybe the tube got pulled out

good luck

Matty

chip w
06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to put the quick drain kit in and use the plastic tube idea. That will keep me on the water for the summer. Next winter will be the time to do the motor stuff. I like what everyone's showing of their boats. It's an inspiration!:)

Fish boy
07-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Hey Chip,
just stumbled across this post and wanted to welcome you to the registry. There are lots of us in the tampabay area, and seem to frequently end up at shell island. Usually informal, usually involve a few beverages, but always a good time. Hope to see ya on the water. Keep an eye out for posts that involve SEADOGs (southeast area donzi owners group), and drop by.

Fish

chip w
07-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks Fish Boy. I use to hang at Shell Island with my last boat (not a Donzi) and always had a good time. I'm pretty close to having everything sorted out to the point where I'm comfortable in the salt. Keep an eye out for me. It's bright yellow (haven't added the stripe yet) with white interior.

Chip:wavey:

Scott Heidt
07-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Hey Chip, Ditto Here!

Hope to see you at Shell!

chip w
07-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Looking forward to meeting some other owner's at Shell. Maybe this weekend or next. It'll be nice to see how it handles the big water. So far we've only had it on Lake Tarpon & Lake Carroll.

See ya' there!

Chip