PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Pump for Trim

KAJUNGA
06-14-2004, 12:40 PM
There is an oil reservoir connected/underneath a hydraulic pump . I believe the hydraulic pump is for the trim because when I hit the trim button, the pump is working.

My problem is that the oil in the reservoir is very milky. I assume there is water mixed in with the oil.

I have a 1995 Donzi 18 with 350

(A) How do I change the oil?
(B) What oil should I use
(C) Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks in Advance for your response(s)

Greg

MOP
06-14-2004, 01:31 PM
You have a leak in one or both of the trim rams, you need to reseal or replace the rams. If you are in fresh water they are probably in good enough shape to reseal, you need to flush the pump nad lines out well.

Phil

RickR
06-14-2004, 02:10 PM
My 1995 22 Classic had the trim pump mounted under the hatch drain :bonk: Water would enter the small hole in the resevoir cap :bonk:

I completely drained resevoir and replaced with fresh 30W ran drive up and down a few times and flushed again, twice.

OH, and I changed where the pump was mounted :kaioken:

KAJUNGA
06-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Thanks MAdpoodle,Rick and MOP.

I am in freshwater and I will have this issue professionally dealt with at the end of the season.

I do not believe the water is getting in through the cap. The reservoir and pump are mounted above the area where water drains out of the boat.

Questions

(1) Rick used 30W oil. Is this regular motor oil exactly like the oil we put in our engines? I was thinking that hydraulic oil would be required.
(2) How do I drain the reservoir? Do I just "suck" the oil out using the same device , used to siphon oil out of an engine , through the dipstick?

Thanks

gold-n-rod
06-14-2004, 08:04 PM
you need to flush the pump nad lines out well.

Phil

I'm always telling my wife the same thing and she tells me she has a headache. :eek!: :eek!:

;)

another Randy

MOP
06-14-2004, 08:06 PM
30wt oil is hard on the pump it is to heavy and is not formulated for hydraulic use, All the OEM's offer their own brand of trim & tilt fluid. The recommended substitute fluid is Dextro II. I know a few that use Hy Tran hydraulic oil it seems to work fairly decent and is made for hydraulic seals.

gcarter
06-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Hi Phil;
My pump resevoir actually has a sticker on it that says use SAE 30 motor oil. I'm not against changing it, but there are significant differences between motor oil and ATF.

George..maybe more info is required.

MOP
06-14-2004, 09:00 PM
You will have to disregard my thing on the oil I just can't get used to all this Merc stuff yet was an OMC & Volvo mech to long. Must study up now as my local Merc guy says I own a Black Voo Doo drive!

Phil

KAJUNGA
06-15-2004, 12:32 PM
As per Mercruiser Installation Manual.....
(A) check oil with stern unit in full down position
(B) Use Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering Fluid ($$$$) or SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oil in trim system
(C) Raise and lower drive unit(to the full up position) 6 to 10 times to purge air from system. Oil level should be maintained at bottom lip of fill neck.

Thanks again Guys