PDA

View Full Version : shifter/throttle change over

CDeal1
06-14-2004, 10:35 AM
I am thinking of switching from a single shifter/throttle control to a dual set up with shift and throttle operations handled separately. I want to keep a factory look if possible. My current shifter like most mounts flush to the side of an upholstered panel with the cable running inside of that area. Are the dual controls available to operate that way? Any thoughts pro or con? Any idea on the cost of a basic unit versus a high end unit?

tamburello
06-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Three years ago, I made the switch from a Merc Commander 3000 single lever control to Gaffrig dual lever controls in my 18 classic. I had my upholstery guy build a new pad for the side of the cockpit with an upholtered box to mount the Gaffrigs to.

The trim in handle dual lever controls with the cables and upholstery work were around $700, if memory serves. It's not a cheap mod but the dual lever controls are a big improvement. Here's a link to some pics of my rig.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=113&highlight=maiden+voyage

- Jeff

rchevelle71
06-14-2004, 02:06 PM
http://www.nisongermarine.com/3-tp.html

Bolt on throttle pod

gold-n-rod
06-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Jeff, any chance you were at the Sleeping Bear Dunes overlook this past weekend with a couple of pretty ladies? One was wearing a Donzi Criterion t-shirt.

another Randy

tamburello
06-14-2004, 05:16 PM
That was in fact me at the Dunes overlook with my wife and my mom. What overlook were you at? Dang, I wish I woulda known you were there.

The weather didn't look appealing in the morning so we left the boat at home. Had a great time wandering around the area. My grandma has a cottage on the south side of little Glen lake.

- Jeff

Cuda
06-14-2004, 05:53 PM
My Minx came with the two lever shift. I assume it was from the factory this way.

gold-n-rod
06-14-2004, 07:51 PM
That was in fact me at the Dunes overlook with my wife and my mom. What overlook were you at? Dang, I wish I woulda known you were there.

- Jeff

Actually, it was at the dune climb. Your wife and mom headed up the dune and you took the trail. Your wife's shirt definately caught my eye. I didn't put two and two together until afterwards. I was going to post an inquiry and lo and behold, here was your post.

I have a place in Frankfort and was playing tourguide for a colleague of mine and a guest of his from Great Britain. They headed up the dune and I walked the trail you took. Dune climbing is off my activity list since my recent heart attack.

Shoot, if I had known it was you, I coulda shot the **** about boats instead of staring at sand.

Small world.

another Randy