PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilds, modifications and summer!!!

mphatc
06-12-2004, 09:20 PM
While most of you worry about gas prices and sunburns :biggrin: :cool: I muster on in my Corsican - H&M Ford - Bravo - new tank - and electrics rebuild . . . :( . . sometimes I wish I had never found Donzi.net, :jestera: then I wouldn't have these challenges . . :biggrin: :rolleyes: But I digress . . . I wouldn't have all of you to support this venture!!!!

as you read this remember that my goal was to maintain the originality of the Corsican H&M stuff and combine it with a contemporary drive . . I'm a nut!!!

here's where I'm at . . .

Transom is done except for lower white gelcoat, Bravo has been test fitted, new 306 Ford is finally complete, (that's worth a long post by itself!!!!) new 44 gallon tank is epoxied and installed, new Instruments fitted and new wiring started, and I am now finally creating the H&M bellhousing to Bravo fitment! :crossfing :banghead: :cussball: :bonk: :kaioken: :uzi: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

So today I finallly get it all figured out, or so I thought . . and now the Mercruiser power steering will not clear the original H&M logs :frown: .

Shall I?????

break this thing in with manual steering and add Latham or IMCO power steering later . . .

shall I add more to my debt load and buy PS now??? :boggled:

can I even steer a Merc. Bravo w/o power assist????
OK I know I can go WFO . . but can I use the boat SAFELY to break in the engine and sort out other challenges?????

Mario
who feels like he bit off more for a 1 winter project than he can swallow!!!

Pictures to follow in this thread . . .

MOP
06-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Mario we are wollowing in the same pond :yes: , ahead in some areas and buried in others. Still doing 7's no good time blocks all short stints. How did the ears on the bell housing work out. I have Bonnie chomping at my butt to get it running, got a lot of the bottom done. Looks like all will hit the fan at once. I think I have everything even some super doubles Hmmm got it all I know better! :bonk: Lets hope to get "Wet" in time for some fun!

Phil

mphatc
06-12-2004, 10:24 PM
This is the first of the images.

more to come!

Mario

mphatc
06-15-2004, 06:23 AM
Here's some images I took on Sunday. After a late night spending time on Donzi Chat, Thanks James! I was sitting on the deck taking in the early AM when from some unknown place the thought pops out . . that solved the problem!

of course this now means electric fuel pump, remote oil filter, but all that is cheaper than a full IMCO, MM, or Latham PS set up!

In the first image the exhaust port is blocked by the powersteering hydraulic ram . .

July 4th launch!!! Anyone want to help??

Mario L.

Dr. Dan
06-15-2004, 06:46 AM
:smash: Awesome Job ... I love the Super White Bilge accented with the Blue Motor....Good Luck with the Fitment...always something...always!

Throw more money at it...sometimes it works....Mine has become a Worm Hole....and its sucking the Balance out of all sorts of Accounts...$$$ :uzi:

Can't wait to see it in Winnie...I hope..thats July 31st BTW!

Doc :smash:

Fish boy
06-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Ahhhhhh, a blue pill, one of my favorites. Really looks great and is something that while I am sure is a bit frustrating at times, will be a truly amazing boat when you get done. Please keep posting pics- it gives the rest of us soemthing to dream a bout.

Forrest
06-15-2004, 09:50 AM
Lookin' great!!!

Nice touch keeping the HM bell-housing rather than taking the easy route and using a Mercuriser "888" bell-housing.

Woodsy
06-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Hey Mario...

What's with the backwards exhaust manifolds? LOL! That thing NEEDS a 3 deuce or Weber setup......

Woodsy Von Outboard.... I have 8 carburetors! LOL!

Rootsy
06-15-2004, 11:06 AM
if she was really radical i have a kick ass edelbrock cross ram setup that'd look titties ;)

he needs some stack injection ;)

boldts
06-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Mario,

Lookin great! Interesting idea on how to miss the Bravo1 internals. Going to need a lot of extra hose for the water inlet which is now at the back of the engine instead of up front by the engine water pump and of course the added length to the exhaust hoses. It does how-ever allow you to place the transom outlets just about anywhere you want below the exhaust exit. Should help the water being forced back into the engine also, but we all use flappers right? My ? is how will it effect the exhaust flow? Looking forward to your finished piece and testing!

mphatc
06-15-2004, 09:02 PM
The parts keep arriving . . . and that means i have to keep working to make more money, which is a catch 22 as I need to find time to work on the boat . . . :banghead:

I've ordered a Holley 14 psi marine fuel pump, a blanking plate for the fuel pump mount on the engine, and a remote oil filter set up, two 90 degree exhaust elbows and would like to use the new fiberglass 3" OD exhaust pipe with short hose connections.

Tomorrow I'll fab the adapter for the H&M bellhousing to the Bravo inner transom. This will be a weldment of aluminum made from the ears of an Ebay $50.00 Merc 888 bellhousing. This wouldn't have fit anyways . . . :rolleyes:

Amazingly the engine sits in exactly the same location as originally built with the Volvo !

I'll use the original exhaust holes, and have had the exhaust flanges rechromed. Yes, there will be flappers!

here's a few more quik shots

The first shows the new 44 gallon tank from Patriot Marine. This was etched and sealed with 3 coats of a 2 part epoxy paint, visable on the edges prior to being foamed in place.
When this cured it was hard and tough as NH Granite :p

the transom in gelcoat, color looks weird because I cover the gelcoat with green Partal PVA which washes off.

And the third shot, a little detail , I had the machine shop thread the freeze plug holes and install bronze pipe plugs! I added an 8 quart pan as the sump on this thing is forward and I like rough water!

Doc, when my account runs dry can I help you MT yours . . . ??
Mario