PDA

View Full Version : Trailer blues...again!!!!!!

Scott Pearson
06-12-2004, 07:38 PM
When it rains it pours....I have never had any luck with trailers. Today I removed the 71 from my Rolls trailer and was planing to put it under the orange 68 for the Dust-off. Any who....Saw that the liquid filled hub was leaking a little. Decided to take both hubs off, clean and change fluid. Well, not only do I need new O-rings and rear seals and a bearing....but the axle bracket is cracked and there is a few small stress cracks where the spindle is welded to the axle. Off to the my welder buddy Monday night to fix the axle :smash: . Then have to call Rolls for the rest of the stuff.....

I'm ready to shoot myself in the face!!! :shocking:

(NJ)Scott

MOP
06-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Damn good you spotted the leak would have been a nightmare if it went to hell on the road.

Phil

Andy McCarty
06-14-2004, 08:37 AM
Scott what are the bearing and seal #'s i might be able to save you a nickle. I am in the Taper bearing business. And i have a buddy to get seals from. :wrench:

Andy McCarty
06-14-2004, 09:20 AM
hey Scott just fyi the yellow book price on timken product is about 50% higher than what i may be able to get it for you for. If you need the help no problem.

Andy McCarty
06-14-2004, 10:02 AM
yeah poodle i can ship. i would be glad to help out Donzi guys. We sell about 95% Timken. I can help i will. All the guys on this forum a supper nice and very helpfull. I read the post's daily Mon-Fri that is. i try to stay away fromt he idiot box ont he weekends. Poodle you can email me @ andy@taper.com just give me the bearing numbers and i can see if i have them in stock if i dont i can usually get them in a day. The seals on the other hand are about 1-3 days away. Please let me know if i can help. I would prefer to only sell them to individuals and not to dealers. But if there are some dealers on here that might need help please let me know.:outtahere

RickR
06-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Scot
Where is the axle bracket cracked? I'll inspect mine.

Do you have a single axle trailer with an 18 Classic?

CDMA
06-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Axle cracked.....some of us have seen pearson tow....

Chris

We have touchdown...

Dr. Dan
06-14-2004, 12:15 PM
:smash: It's Only "An Axle Bracket"...not the Axle itself....

:jestera: Doc

bverd
06-14-2004, 12:17 PM
You guys haven't forgotten that Scott for some reason carries a chainsaw in the back of his truck.

"Need something to prop that trailer on on the side of the expressway... No problem, there is a tree right over here we can cut down." :jestera:

--bverd

mattyboy
06-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Scott,
let me know when you are leaving friday so I can stay ahead of you and Tux on the thruway with all that $#!+ falling off your trailers ;)
:) :tongue:

Matty

Dr. Dan
06-14-2004, 04:28 PM
:bonk: Ah Sooooo Says the Blind Man, I Seeeeeeee! :spit:

Scott Pearson
06-14-2004, 08:04 PM
Andy,
Thanks for the offer. I needed to get this thing together ASAP. I picked up bearings at a local place. Not Timkin but they will do. I will keep you in mind in the future. Thanks again!

Rick,
The axle had some stress cracks in the welds at the spindle. Could have been poor welds....I dont know. There fixed now.Also the bracket that the axle runs through and its bolted to the frame. The welds that attach the axle to that bracket had cracks all over! I am not overly impressed with the Rolls at this point. Also bearing was wiped out on the right side due to the hub not being tight enuff. I will be looking else where next week for another trailer. Yes its a single axle and rated for 3500lbs.

Thanks again guys!

Brad.....yes a chain saw is a great tool to have on the road!

(NJ)Scott

Fish boy
06-14-2004, 08:51 PM
In addition to the fun I had throwing a rod on my motor this weekend, as I backed my trailer into the storage lot where I keep my boat, I noticed a pretty dramatic wobble on one of the tires. Hummmmm... I think this could be a bad thing. Doh!!!

If anyone reads this thread and wonders whether they should get a tandem or save a few bucks and get the single axle, guess what my vote is?

gcarter
06-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Now I don't feel so bad about the looks of my trailer anymore!! :jestera: :jestera:

George

BUIZILLA
06-15-2004, 06:59 AM
Fishboy, I vividly recall your trailer looking the same way at Dora?? didn't you tell me you were going to fix it THAT DAY ??ah.. yes... the old putoffmaintenance trick :rolleyes:

JH :umbrella:

Fish boy
06-15-2004, 07:18 AM
Fishboy, I vividly recall your trailer looking the same way at Dora?? didn't you tell me you were going to fix it THAT DAY ??ah.. yes... the old putoffmaintenance trick :rolleyes:

JH :umbrella:

Jim,
I am not that dumb... I am even dumber than that. LOL :) I just got a new trailer, but did not swap them before I left. Short on time and wanted to get to the river before dark; shorter on brains and did not follow the advice of those who clearly know more than I do. You were absolutely right.

harbormaster
06-21-2004, 01:41 PM
I am speaking with Suzanne Gallagher,Director of Sales and Service for Rolls Axle Trailers.

She says she loves her Donzi Owners because they are passionate about their boats and can recognize a junk trailer.

She caught wind of Mr. Pearons problem though the board and is concerned.

She says that the cracks you see are not stress cracks. They shrinkage cracks which do compromise the integrity of the axle.

Scott Contact her directly on her cell phone. 813-967-7160

She will be more than happy to send any hub parts you need at no charge.

Lenny
06-21-2004, 01:48 PM
When I bought my Rolls, I had them throw in a spare hub and stuff as I figured if it ever happened to me HERE, it would be Forever till I got replacement parts. So far, so good.

Scott Pearson
06-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Scot,
I will give her a call this week. I just got home and read your post.

The brackets that the axle runs through had cracks clean throught the welds. And the where the spindle is welded to the axle had some wierd looking cracks. So if thats the case...it needs a whole new axle.

Not happy....trailer is only 4 or so years old.

Scott
President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club.

JimG205
06-21-2004, 08:55 PM
Scott- I wouldn't trade my 2160T rolls for anything else,mine is a 2001 tandem-drove it from Ft. Meyers Fla. home to Long Island this past March with my Minx on it.Plan to add disc brakes and a spare,and am seriously planning to take it back down to the rendevous in Sarasota in October.
Take note I trailered my 16 Donzi on a single axle eagle,and have pulled ski Nautiques,and ski supremes on their respective trailers 1000's of miles over the years-THEY DON'T COME CLOSE TO THE ROLLS! Jim

Scott Pearson
06-21-2004, 09:09 PM
Jim,
Glad you have had good luck. I also have trailered my 18 all over the place in the past 4 years. I would say I have about 15,000 miles on it or more. Its been to Florida and back to NJ twice, Lake Cumberland, Maine a few times, Lake Winni, Lake George...I lost count. And thats a 600+ mile run each time.

But, What happened shouldnt have.

I haul our heavy equipment all over NJ with Tag Alongs and Low boys. I'm not new to trailering at all and know how something should be and what to look for. I also dont like to worry about if I'm going to break down or not.....

I have 4 more boats of mine that I need trailers for....guess we will have to see.

Scott
President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club

krakmeup
07-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Scott - any new verdict? I talked with Suzanne at Rolls and she said they took care of your issues??? I am about to purchase a tandem and want to know if I should be looking at Rolls or not - I read all the posts and it seems divided, love/hate. Any more insights?