PDA

View Full Version : Blown Outdrive, update, lessons learned

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Blew a new factory Bravo I last July, 180 hours.
Upper was busted up, replaced upper, supposedly lower was fine, flushed and mated to new upper.
17 hours later, upper goes again. This drive should be under Merc warranty, less than 1 year old.
Dealer who installed new drive is no longer in business.
Take the boat to our biggest area dealer. They called today, said that the upper was busted, and the lower had twisted splines in the verticle shaft, and they can not get the prop shaft out for flushing and inspection.
They call Merc, Merc declines warranty coverage, stating that the twisted lower shaft indicated an object strike or air time, we did neither.
The mechanic recommended I complain to Merc consumer affairs.
I did, they "good willed" me another brand new upper, but I pay labor and fix lower.
No proof the twisted shaft was ever documented at first blown drive. But was likely the reason the upper went again, or possibly the reason both uppers went.
So, the lesson here is, if you blow an upper be damn sure the lower is inspected correctly. The prop shaft is also to be removed, and the lower inspected, lower casing flushed.
FYI.
Bryan Tuvell...

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-11-2004, 07:23 PM
I forgot to add, Merc will NOT warranty the new drive they are giving me.
Go figure.
Bryan

MOP
06-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Boy Bryon you have been through hell, they are right if the vertical was twisted they usually also have a slight bend just a few thousands. It was working the hell out of the upper, the first guy that did the job should have done a full tear down. True Merc and most others will not pay for the extra tear down. But if explained properly to you I think you would have sprung for it. You would have had a good drive with no bad parts and not back in this pickle. I was so glad after such a long wait last year to hear it was finally fixed and thought for sure you were going to have a good year. Anytime an upper blows the vertical shaft should be removed inspected and dial indicated especially when the case has been damaged. Bless you hope it goes well and quickly you don't need the lost time this year.

Phil

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Thanks MOP, Nancy has spoken.
We will be putting a brand new OM Bravo I drive on the 26ZX and we are taking this opportunity to upgrade in size and power. I hate to jump ship on Donzi but it is time to move on.

Nancy has her eye set on a particular bigger more powerful boat and I have the green light to order it now. Just need mine back with the new drive, shine her up and move on.
I will eat about $10K on trade but so is life.
My loan balance is about $59K, and we own the $3K 2002 trailer.
Let alone the $5k on Stainless Marine exhaust and props we spent this past winter. Good deal for a great boat.
3 years of Z Care left.
OFFERS????????????
I will keep all posted.

ROADTRIP, Poker Run is Off for us......
TUNA we are still a go for 4 July weekend. Come on girl.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
06-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Hey Bryan, what are you looking at?

ToonaFish
06-12-2004, 08:20 PM
TUNA we are still a go for 4 July weekend. Come on girl.
Bryan

Bikini is packed. Both halves.

Rotten luck on the drive and I simply can't imagine you in anything but a Donzi... now that you've piqued our curiousity, spill the beans!

Bunches,

Celene 'christening the cement pond'

Rootsy
06-12-2004, 08:45 PM
why do i have this feeling that bryan is gonna take up smoking ;)

roadtrip se
06-14-2004, 10:22 AM
and all of this happens...

Bryan, I'll give you a call to catch up.

Todd

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-14-2004, 05:45 PM
The plot thickens, boy am I getting a lesson.
Let me be clear, us shopping again has nothing to do with Donzi. We have loved both of our boats. My issues are with Certified Merc Mechanics and Merc.

I went and saw the parts today, upper is ATE UP!
It is suspected the top plate was never correctly torqued for the Laytham Steering and the lower was NEVER disassembled, flushed and I was never told my strike damage caused the twisted splines.

So, I will be brand new soon. Our issue is to save $3 to 5K a year for these type of unknown expenses or look into a new boat for a couple hundred more a month, with warranties, it is basically a math equation for us and a choice. Let alone the added hull length and more power/speed.

Still searching and shopping, it will be fall before I make a move, lots of homework to do and a few boat rides to take, and there is always the slim chance Nancy will change her mind, and she is driving this bus, not I.

ROADTRIP, we'll talk soon.
TUNA, your room awaits.

Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Well the new upper and lower are ready to go back together, Merc got the stuff here only days after we closed the agreement on what would be replaced, in fact I got their customer survey card in the maiil today. Andrew at Merc Warranties was great!
Back in the water by next weekend they tell me!

FRANK/TUNA, we are possibly looking at the new for 2005 Stepped Hull Sunsation 288 with a single 525, first two with XR's have been 83 on GPS. Our closest pal had one and just went to the 32'.

Down side was I heard from Merc today, I can not buy any additional Q-Gaurd on the blue HP motors, 1 year only. But I could buy one from Marine Innovations LOL (ZCare folks)...
So, not sure what we will do next. I would really like to keep what we have in one hand yet would like bigger and faster in the other, the Sunsations run as good as any ZX Donzi IMHO. so who knows.

I will say my loan app was approved for 4.97%.... :)

We Ride the DIGGER boat in the a.m.
Should be a great day.
Bryan