PDA

View Full Version : No more 377's or HP500's or 575's

ChromeGorilla
06-11-2004, 11:27 AM
The following was taken from powerboat magazine on line.

6.09.04—MERCURY RACING DROPPING THREE ENGINES FROM LINEUP: Once the backbone of the Mercury Racing engine line, the HP500EFI will be discontinued in 2005. Also on the chopping block for the coming model-year are the HP575SCi and Scorpion 377 power plants. Despite the discontinuations, however, the Fond du Lac, Wisc., company will continue to stock parts for the engines

MOP
06-11-2004, 12:05 PM
I have an idea litigation may be cropping up for Mercury, if a boater has an accident they sue him and the manufacturer.
I like many up here are starting to have a bad time getting reasonable insurance due to the Donzi name. I try to point out the speed comparison of most outboard fish rigs insured for 30-40% cheaper, most bass boat will run away from 90% of our boats. I go into my qualifications, boat handling instructor, builder, mechanic, trans Atlantic crossings and 1000's of hours of hands on and over 50 years on the water. None of which counts when I say Donzi. Quite a few other brands are also on the list. The last company I contacted has to come and photo the boat and its engine prior to giving a quote. I am in hot pursuit of 260HP decals before I let them come.

Rootsy
06-11-2004, 12:08 PM
only the scorpion is going bye bye from what i understand.. the 6.2mx stays... cripe they were getting about as much for a scorp as an hp500...

HyperDonzi
06-11-2004, 12:18 PM
What do you all think will happen to Factory Racing?

blackhawk
06-11-2004, 01:02 PM
I think it's more replacement issues. The scorpion is very expensive so I am assuming it wasn't a huge seller. And the HP525 is taking the HP500's place. And I've heard that the 525's are so strong they are giving 575 owners some fits.

rayjay
06-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Ah, doesn't anyone see a pattern as to what is being dropped? Mercruiser engines based on Chevy (or GM) engines that are no longer being used in GM's lineup. The 377 is based on the old SBC block which is being phased out for engines based on the new LS style block. And the HP500EFI and 575SCI are based on the old style BBC block, rotating assemblies, and heads, which are also being phased out for the new 8.1. Aftermarket heads and intakes are now showing up for the 8.1, including superchargers and manifolds that can take supercharging. Doesn't a 496HO compare to a HP500EFI? And I wouldn't be surprised if you see a 496 based SCI in the near future. I just got a set of 8.1 heads to play with and I see that getting them to work for real high horsepower applications will have the learning curve everyone just went through when using Vortec heads and LS style SBC's. It will happen soon, believe me. For GM, boat engines and truck engines have a lot in common so just look at where their truck engines are going.

The old style SBC's and BBC's will be with us for ages to come. There are still too many of them out there in use for the market to go completely away. Remember the old Ford flathead. There are more parts now for flatheads than there ever were in the recent past. And just like for a Harley, right now you can easily build a complete good running and cost effective SBC or BBC with no GM parts in it.

rayjay

Magicallbill
06-12-2004, 04:13 AM
Hey,Y'all
I read with interest the above accounts of the engines being discontinued.
So, with my Scorpion 18 being one of two made in '02, the Bravo XZ Drive being discontinued and now the 377 vanishing, will my boat go up in value?
I ask only out of curiosity, as I plan to keep the boat(my 1st Donzi!) Scott has it up on the Midwest Donzi Site under Bill Hayes in Indiana if you want a look.
Hopefully see some of you in St. Clair
Bill

Mr X
06-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Hey,Y'all
I read with interest the above accounts of the engines being discontinued.
So, with my Scorpion 18 being one of two made in '02, the Bravo XZ Drive being discontinued and now the 377 vanishing, will my boat go up in value?
I ask only out of curiosity, as I plan to keep the boat(my 1st Donzi!) Scott has it up on the Midwest Donzi Site under Bill Hayes in Indiana if you want a look.
Hopefully see some of you in St. Clair
Bill

You definatly have a very nice boat!!

You would have to shrink wrap it and never use it for 20 years
and then it would go up in value.......but even then not at
the same rate of inflation. Use it enjoy it, and take care of it
but the "collectable Donzi market" still continues to be a BARGAIN!!

P.S.........call me first when you want to sell it!!! :eek:

MOP
06-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Bill that is a sweet package, must run like a raped ape.

MOP

Magicallbill
06-15-2004, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the good words. My son has a 99' 18 w/ a 350 Mag 300hp. and his handles lots better than mine. I carry more weight aft with dual batteries, the xtra weight of the Bravo as opposed to the Alpha on his, and the larger 377 engine.
Because of the xtra lbs. my Scorpion won't stay in the water at hi speeds, while he can run dead-level. Mine is a little faster,(3-4 mph or so,) It's interesting to be able to compare identical hulls with different engine paks.
As far as top speed, I have no GPS on board. The gaffrig says 74 tops, but who knows? I would think it runs at least 70.
It's overall a great boat. Engine's smooth, everything's great, and heck, maybe my hi-speed handling issues are more with me not knowing how to straighten it out. Apparently the owner of the other Scorpion is in the Detroit area; I'd be interested to know how he likes his.
Glad AOTH went well w/good weather. Love the pics. Take care, Bill

Donzigo
06-15-2004, 07:39 AM
Just to offer something about insurance I heard yesterday: A new Spectre owner has found that his insurance has gone from $1,000+ to over $6,000+ in just one year; so, the 120MPH boat is now, for sale. It could have something to do with Chris Parker's accident in Tampa Bay, recently. I wonder if Mercury isn't paying attentin to insurance developments and law-suits in this "litigation proned U.S. of A."?

roadtrip se
06-15-2004, 10:18 AM
I can't wait to see that Scorpion 18 next to Kraven's on St. Clair! Should be very cool! As for the Scorpion walking at speed, I believe that a set of longer Victory tabs might solve the problem. I know that Kraven is in the process of putting a set on his, so you should get a chance to see the results for yourself.

On the thread topic...

Insurance and accidents aren't killing these motors, c'mon guys give me a break. We've all seen really dumb things done in stock powered boats too, so is Mercury going to cancel their whole big block line too? :idea: :idea:

Maybe now Mercury Racing blue motors will start getting more reasonable, so more Donzi folks can snap one up and enjoy one mean Donzi, right Doc?

Todd
"The insurance man can pull my 500EFI from my cold, dead hands!"

ChromeGorilla
06-15-2004, 10:30 AM
When I took a tour of the Donzi plant there was an 18 with the scorpion power and it had the same paint as the 22 SE on the donzi webiste...was very sweet. Was getting plasti-wrapped as i was there. Said it was goin to a fellow in Canada. What a shame...lol. :biggrin:

Rootsy
06-15-2004, 10:57 AM
i donno but if you can afford a 100K + boat that runs 120 mph then you shouldn't be quibbling about the price of the gas you are putting in it or the insurance... you have to pay to play...

going to a 4 blade will definitely help the scorpion 18 stability... i bet you are running a mirage + no? by no means is it the ONLY prop for the boat... give some different wheels a spin and see how it goes... i have seen kravens scorp running and have witnessed it get into some chinewalk once or twice...

74ish sounds about right for that hp and drive combo in that boat... the 377 is nothing but a stroked 350... same size... nearly the same weight.. if someone didn't tell you it was a 377 then you'd never know... if all of the decals were gone anyway...

Magicallbill
06-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Always appreciate the feedback. Roots, I didn't know the 377 was the same weight as the 350.
Obviously, I have some learning to do; It seemed to me that the handling differences between mine&my son's rigs were due to stern weight,as his sits 2-3 inches higher in the stern than mine.
His 350 Classic seems to be in harmony with itself. I mean the drive/engine combo, the weight distribution, etc. You can just tell when you drive a boat if it is really together, and his is.
Mine porpoises more, and has the hi-speed walking problems already mentioned. Rootsy, you were correct, I have a 25P Mirage 3-blade that came with the package. Would a 4-blade cut the top speed down?
I would certainly like to see the "other Scorpion" at St Clair, and would like to see what the Victory Tabs would do.
I do not want to give the impression that I am dissatisfied with the boat. It's great, I'm still learning, and if chine-walking is all the troubles I have in life, I'm in pretty good shape.
Bill