PDA

View Full Version : Would you change belts if you were in my shoes?

gold-n-rod
06-10-2004, 04:20 PM
I have full access to the front of my 7.4 BB Mercruiser (non-Donzi) as the result of removing the rear bench seat to replace the floor covering. I'm thinking that new belts, for the 3 that are right there (alt., PS, water pump???), might be in order since they are so accessible. The boat is a '91 model with 250 running hours. The belts have no visible checks, cracks or glazing.

My gut says "yes." My wallet says, "no, they are just fine."

You?

another Randy

2biguns
06-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Not only yes but HELL YES, and while you're at it buy two of each. If you don't, I will bet you a dollar that you're going to fry an alternator belt (or whichever is the furthest inside belt) on the hottest day of the summer and will be floating in the middle of the lake sweating your rear end off while changing the damned thing.

See--now you've gone and made me have a flashback to last summer. :p

RickR
06-10-2004, 07:22 PM
I keep my old ones for spares :rlol:

MOP
06-10-2004, 08:49 PM
Also a YES! Belts can be deceiving and are the weal link to components. I try to get my clients to change at 200 hours or 3 years which ever is first. During layup all tension should be off loosen everything, check over carefully and readjust in the spring. On my own boat I remove the belts and spay my pulleys with rust preventative, clean the pulleys in the spring and reinstall and tension the belts and spray them with a product called Belt Ease. And yes I carry spares and the wrenches to change. I would like to treat myself to a Serpentine setup Ah to have 1 belt and less bilge filth!

Phil

BUIZILLA
06-10-2004, 08:55 PM
During layup all tension should be off loosen everything, check over carefully and readjust in the spring. On my own boat I remove the belts and spay my pulleys with rust preventative, clean the pulleys in the spring and reinstall and tension the belts and spray them with a product called Belt Ease. Phil
you have got to be kidding me???? :confused: :embarasse :rolleyes:

J :eek:

Trueser
06-10-2004, 09:09 PM
No I would replace those old V belts with this. The new power steering pulley is on the way.

MOP
06-10-2004, 10:46 PM
Nope no kidding! We layup our boats for 5-6 months, you Southern Boys have it knocked. The guys that don't take the time end up having crap buckets in a few years time up here. You guys would laugh at the winterizing check lists up here at the quality shops, we have a full all inclusive boat check all systems, all items in need of repair noted. A single I/O takes about 1-1/2 hours to put to bed, generous amount of Stable or Bio stuff in fuel tank GorD, check oil fluid levels in pumps while draining block, manifolds, exchangers if equiped. Run to temp in 50/50 mix tank, change oil & filter all filters, crank with coil disconnected to get oil up, restart let it run for a couple of minutes then light fog couple of minutes then hit it heavy and kill it, grease all fittings and all linkage's, spray and plastic bag the carb, most batteries get stored so remove batteries, the rest get disconnected, spray all exposed electrical connections and terminals with Pro Clean, loosen belts spay entire engine top to bottom with CRC, looks like crap when done. We try to pull and store all drives (especially outside stored boats) but do check rubber stuff, drain all and V&P check and refill all of them and write up for repair if needed. Any repairs are reviewed and estimated, customers are provided a full report. Safety items must be done or no spring launch, all else is optional. If they front 1/3 of the money by Dec 1 we give them 10% of the parts and labor, again 1/3 Feb 1 another 5% off balance in the spring before launch.

And about 2-1/2 hours in the spring, install battery clean terminals hookup, most kept in 60 degree shed on revolving date check and charge for winter, wash engine and bilge, inspect all exposed electrical connections clean and re tighten bad ones, full tune up and bay testing, new zincs in closed cooling systems done after system is purged of antifreeze, respray everything that can rust lightly with CRC. Check to see if all nesasary repairs were preformed sign off on job order carried since fall if all is OK. Are you done laughing yet!

Now they get a quickie wash, good wash and wax optional. Now the owner can have th boat.

OK laugh our labor rate is $100 per hour, every tech go to school annually, we brag on best turn key marina out there!

I put a lot of WE's above, it really is in the past tense for P.O.E. the best shop on all of Long Island I was a wrench then a foreman there and helped institute very positive changes to have the best shop with the best trained guys in the area. If the new guys don't stick to the guide lines they still get told take a hike.

Taking proper, maybe overboard care of your clients more than pays off in the long run. And going overboard on ones own toys pays, I got $10,000 for my 91 16 really worth $7,500. Call me nuts but I am a bit richer for it, I figure 3 winterizations and some care over the season comes out to 7-8 hours per season! Lets for ****s and giggles 25 hours devided into $2,500 says I got paid a tad over $104 per hour for my follish ways! Are Ya Still Laughing! Me TOO! :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

One to many libations I Rest My Case!

MOP
06-10-2004, 11:10 PM
No I would replace those old V belts with this. The new power steering pulley is on the way.

Trueser that aluminum S setup is to die for, I know one Texan that would trade his pocket rocks for two BB setups. I would love to do that this year, but I am way over budget on my experiment (project) and buried in my work. This gas thing has slowed my game down.
It would have been a Ton cheaper and much easier to by Scott MP's 22 which came by after I got involved in mine. Hell I would be boating now instead of working most free moments on what looks like it has no end and would Not be running Black out back.

Done and off to bed!

Richard McCoy
06-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Rubber has a shelf life of about 5 years. I would change them. Some types 3

Walt. H.
06-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Yep!

I too loosen my belts, I mean my engine's not me except after a big meal:rlol: and lube the pulleys so the moisture doesn't rust them during the winter lay-up under all those covers. Rusted and pitted pulleys can eat a belt in no time flat, of course you do get more traction bite with a pitted pulley. They did the same thing on snowmobiles before they switch to aluminum drum pulleys for that very same rusting reason when they are resting during the summer months. :rlol: :garfield:

Walt. :wavey:

Cuda
06-11-2004, 02:14 AM
No question, change them. Think about how much you would pay for one if you were floating in the water with a broken belt. Save the old one's for spares.

Marlin275
06-11-2004, 07:24 AM
MOP
Whats the annual cost of your yards winterizing and springizing?
$ 700-800.?

MOP
06-11-2004, 08:33 AM
MOP
Whats the annual cost of your yards winterizing and springizing?
$ 700-800.?

Yes that would be a good ball park figure for a final bill with no added repairs, for the larger boats T+M plus materials. To some it sounds a bit high but look at it this way if the boat is properly winterized and thoroughly inspected and all deficiencies are presented to the owners for approval and they do the work needed then properly made ready in the spring. They are pretty much assured a pretty trouble free season. Boats are boats things do go wrong but it is greatly minimized with proper care. One point that I feel is very important, the boating community has a very big mouth do things wrong and it will catch up with you. Gaining and maintaining the respect of your clientele is extremely important. Let me tell you I am damn proud to have been a part of building of the shop and crew, maybe a bit pricey but what is your weekend worth. As many know I am now a boat broker and go to many yards in many states, there are a ton good shops but still a lot of crooks and run around artists. I look at some operations and laugh, they could be making real money if they would only do it right.

blackhawk
06-11-2004, 09:13 AM
I also vote a definite yes!