PDA

View Full Version : 153,800 miles and the first failure...

Rootsy
06-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Welp she finally did it.. the ole F150 hiccup'd on me this weekend... up until this point i've never had to do anything except gas, oil, filters, other fluids, tires, brakes, etc... oh and that 7200 dollar repair bill when the tree got in my way... CHA CHING.. thank you ole insurance company... for once...

Apparently the little ball bearings in the A/C Compressor Clutch decided they'd had enough in life and were expelled to great bearing graveyard in the driveway last night... she began rattling after returning from AOTH... very badly when running the damper in positions that used the A/C compressor... the Clutch assembly took a dump basically... sheared the outer disc and retainer right off of the inner hub... ouch... held together with an M6 bolt...

she is apart mostly, what a feat that was... BUT the coil portion is still on the shaft... i cannot really get in there to see what is holding it on.. i do not see any bolts nor do i see a snap ring or threads... SO... do any of you know how it comes off? is it key'd? does this thing take a special puller or can i get away with a simple 3 jaw with an arbor that fits over teh A/C Compressor shaft? working room is pretty tight between this and the radiator... i DO NOT want to have to remove the pump and break the line seals...

so oh wise ones of the ford world.. impart your wisdoms...

98 F150 4.6 Modular...

hmmmm powerstroke or duramax.. this is the upcoming question.....

gcarter
06-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi Jamie, I just asked a buddy, he said if there's no snap ring, it's pressed on and can can be removed with a couple of bars.
Hope that helps.
Those cold winters and months of inactivity is what does it!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

George

Rootsy
06-08-2004, 12:14 PM
George,

there WAS a snap ring.. the inner hub broke right at it.. i had to cut it in two with the dremel to get it off.. it was fubar... i then pried with the trusty pry-bars and got the pulley off... which was frozen in place... as for teh coil housing.. it won't budge... pressed, screwed, who knows... hoped someone would... for once this IS my first hay ride...

JR-decompressed

MOP
06-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Jamie just did the Ebay dance out of curiosity there ia a big section with quite a few real bargains both new complete for under$100 and used $1 and up. With that many miles the unit its self has to be tired also.

Phil

Koenig
06-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Digging for my Ford truck/SUV shop manual. Post step by step instruction if and when I can find it. The hardest thing I've done on my 1997 F250 was replace the master cylinder. The bolts became stripped by the previous owner, so I had to remove it from inside the cab, back of fire-wall that was lot's of fun.

Fish boy
06-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Dang, what a coincidence. I had my very first ford f-150 problem sunday. Apparently, there is a problem when the steering wheel, gas pedal and brake pedal are all connected to a #&*%! 70 year old woman!!! Actually, I think the brake pedal was not directly connected to her at the time... :mad: :mad: :mad:

I can tell you that Ford makes a hell of a bumper; a whole lot tougher than the quarter panels, headlight assembly, front bumper and other important looking stuff in the engine compartment of my car. :angryfire :angryfire

Good luck with your truck Jamie.

Fish

Walt. H.
06-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Fish Boy,

Was she also on a cellphone at that time too? :crossfing

The perils of living with low performance senior citizen drivers in a "retirement state". :banghead: :cussball: I notice alot of that last summer when I was down there visiting friends and family, and no one stays in their lane either. :smash:

Walt :wavey:

Fish boy
06-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Fish Boy,

Was she also on a cellphone at that time too? :crossfing

The perils of living with low performance senior citizen drivers in a "retirement state". :banghead: :cussball: I notice alot of that last summer when I was down there visiting friends and family, and no one stays in their lane either. :smash:

No doubt, this is a perilous state. Strange thing is that I probably could have spotted the impending doom had she been in the usual white four door with a dozen baseball caps and stuffed animals in the rear window, but she was undercover in a cool vehicle typically driven by people who know what they are doing. My geriactric crash threat receiver never went made a beep... Damn they are getting tricky.

Walt. H.
06-09-2004, 11:33 AM
Which means that she must have borrowed her "grandson's" truck. Dollars for donuts I bet she isn't the owner?

W.H

BUIZILLA
06-09-2004, 01:50 PM
no one stays in their lane either. :smash:Walt :wavey:
awww come on guys, everybody knows the only dedicated lanes we have down here, are in the local bowling alley's. Geez, get it right already. :fire: :spongebob

JH :shades:

RedDog
06-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Jamie - with your recent string of luck I'd have to speculate that you and Tux have been hangin' out together too much :biggrin:

Rootsy
06-09-2004, 08:53 PM
:bawling:

the compressor is repaired.. kinda sorta.. with some ingenious engineering due to umm some unseen damage when the bearing came apart... i have my fingers crossed...

sooooo powerstroke or duramax... that is the question...

ToonaFish
06-09-2004, 09:09 PM
You'd look better in a Bowtie...

Hey, why don't you graph your choices?

Rootsy
06-09-2004, 10:17 PM
OK Big Jim needs to settle this debate...

as far as powertrain with a diesel i am up in the air... i have NEVER owned a chevrolet product short of the donzi... but i do like their stuff and i've driven and ridden in enough...

if it was a gas motor... without batting an eye it'd be a chevrolet... period... nuff said..

diesel is another ball of wax altogether...

so that is one vote for PS.... ;)

BUIZILLA
06-10-2004, 06:51 AM
I'm not soooo sure, that this is a debate that *I* can settle....

I've had them all... if it wasn't for the wishy-washy frame on my 2002 D-max dually, i'd still have it, that's for sure. That engine and trans combo, with a tuner box, just flat out rocks.

I will say this though, we put a tuner box in Poodle's 6.0 at the 100hp setting a couple weeks back, and that thing would chirp the tires on the 1-2, and 2-3 shifts. Pulled real hard. :yippie: Put it back in the +65hp mode though, as that's all he needed. :smash: Tranny was a little confused at times in the +100 mode, but they need about 5-6 cold starts to learn their new *attitude*. What really helps the 6.0 is the new tranny they have. I am extremely happy with my '03 7.3, prolly the best all around truck i've ever owned, but the '02 and '03 codes are about 35-40hp behind the earlier codes with the same programs... I think Ford did a de-torque setting in low gear in '02-'03 like GM does with the Dmax, whereas it only puts out 75-80% power in low gear, when it hit's 2nd gear....hang on baby, your flat out gone in a Dmax...

I guess it all depends on brand loyalty and budget. With all the rebates and discounts out there now, it makes no sense to buy used, unless your budget is for a 4-6 year aged truck. The 99-01 strokes ran the best, especially the mid-99's to mid 00's, with calibration code NVK3, 4, or 5...

I've driven 2 new '04.5 Dodge 600 HO's and they run REAL good, you just have to accept the Dodge interior cheesiness..

JH :checkered

Rootsy
06-10-2004, 07:17 AM
ok god i have to cover my eyes now.. you said dodge... J/K

thanks guys... i've been truck shopping for a while... i just havn't pulled any triggers... it isn't a daily driver for i have the old beater ranger for that duty but i need something that i can pull 8 - 10K with... you know, tractors on trailers and all?

LONGEVITY and GOOD performance is what i am after.. ford or chevy it doesn't matter to me... asthetics of both are fine.. it just comes down to powertrain and durability...

problem history with either to be aware of?

Donzi Kid
06-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Sorry about the truck Rootsy. :) Hows the boat commin?

BERTRAM BOY
06-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Rootsy, I love my Duramax.

ToonaFish
06-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Rootsy, I love my Duramax.

Proof that Cliff has good taste not only in women and boats...