PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning solutions?

Andy McCarty
06-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Hey guys i have started to really clean and boat and i am running into some tough scum on the bottom of the swim platforms and on the outdrive. The boat was used in lake earie before i got it and was supposidly taken out after each weekend. very tough stuff. i can use a green scouring pad but was wondering if there are any tricks to do or any products that work best. And also have a little speck on the out drive. that look to be down to the primer. any suggestions on repainting the outdrive once i get it clean. and i would also like to get new bravo decals. Thanks in advance.:boat:

magnum
06-08-2004, 11:48 AM
i use a product called "on / off" it comes in about a liter bottle white with orange and blue lettering. its acid based. it works miracles. depending on how tough your stains are use a 2-1 water mixture and put it in a spray bottle. just spray it on let it sit and you can see it eat through the stain. if stains are bad rub it in with a brush then just hose it off (perferably not into the lake) i have not found any discoloring that it could not remove. ive used for forthe past 5 years too and no damage or wear or anything to the hull or drives.

pmreed
06-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Andy,
Something the Harbormaster ran across and recommended is Mcguire's hotwheels mag wheel spray. I and many others on the Donzi.net can heartily recommend it. Try it and you'll like it too!!

Pihl

GKricheldorf
06-08-2004, 12:49 PM
I have tried that On/Off stuff before on a few stains. Didn't do exactly what i wanted. If you would like a sample i can send you some(just don't tell UPS). It sure works like a charm on those rust stains that WERE on my driveway :)

You can get some Mercruiser paint in a can. I've been thinking on doing mine and did the research already. You can even get a complete decal set if you want to do the whole shabang.

Post or PM me you address

Andy McCarty
06-08-2004, 01:20 PM
GK my email is andy@taper.com i would love a sample. you can send it on my ups accoutn #.

Ranman
06-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Be careful sending hazardous chemicals via UPS and not disclosing it.

As a buyer of pipe, valves and fittings for the auto industry, a supplier once sent a bottle Oatey PVC cement in a box with other misc. fittings to one of my customers. They did not tell UPS the cement (read hazardous chemical) was in the box. Somehow UPS found out. The supplier narrowly escaped a LARGE fine and their UPS account was revoked. Don't say you weren't warned.

P.S. I find that some of the standard off-the-shelf hull cleaners like Star-Brite and the like are incredibly powerful. I've heard beople talk about the Meguire's Hot Rims, and it's prolly OK, but I wouldn't apply foreign chemicals to my boat that don't specifically state they are OK to use. That stuff wasn't designed for boats and will peel the paint off your trailer. Just my opinion.

Lastly, if your drive is white and chaulky, CLR will get the calcium off, but it takes a little work. It also removes the calcium buildup off stainless exhaust tips well too.

Tidbart
06-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Amazing Roll-Off
Developed for tough boating stains, from grease to rust on canvas to vinyl, Roll-Off cleans it all. Leaves a gleaming, rust inhibiting, waxlike finish which actually resists dirt. Works with water. Must be diluted for use on painted surfaces.
None better, IMO
Bob