PDA

View Full Version : what kind of drive oil to use

need for speed
06-07-2004, 09:55 PM
I am going to have my drive oil changed.. What kind is the BEST to use..for my Omc king drive 93

MOP
06-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Seems like the most popular are Merc High Pro syn, Redline and Amsoil. Al slicker and will run cooler.

Phil

Air 22
06-07-2004, 10:32 PM
If you have an owners maual check under servicing outdrive etc. If you do not have a manual....someone w/ a cobra drive..like Greg K might be of assistance. Sorry, I have a Bravo Drive and use Mercruiser Gear Lube. If all else fails...Westmarine has several types of Out-Drive Gear Lube that would hold you over. Many of them say what brand of outdrive it may be used with..They also have the do-it-yourself kits for changing the drive oil/lube :smash: ....Good Luck..

Moody Blu'
06-09-2004, 12:24 AM
I used this stuff in my race bike for the 6 speed tranny/clutch(2stroke 265cc quad) LUCAS 75w-95 synthetic gear oil and damn the oil looks new after three full 8 hour days and usually the oil turns black by then. clutch feel was excellent as well. Honestly the tranny feels new shifts so smooth.

I will be using this in my drive this summer because of my findings in my race bike. Ive never seen a oil stay that clean after 24 hours of punishment in my race bikes. Im on my 3rd oil change with it and love it. :smash:

MOP
06-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Real OMC HiVis is almost non existent who knows what is in the aftermarket stuff, Merc syn has been my first choice for quite some time. Awhile back I had a confab with Mario (mphatc) about Redline which got me thinking to switch over, he has some serious experience with Redline. I am very synthetic Pro and have it in everything I own for many years. I get 1-2mpg better fuel economy and what else is neat is to see the oil pressure gauge read the the same as new after 100,000 miles, I do my oil changes at 5000 instead of 2500 and the oil is still much cleaner than regular oil. I had the the fleet manager for Coca-Cola New York as a client, he said they switched to a 100% regimen of Mobil 1 for all lubricants. He said that the break down rate went down dramatically with the cost balanced out due to the better fuel mileage, less frequent oil changes along with wheel bearings, rear end work etc. The boat he was selling was a 40 Silverton DCMY with 454's the engines had 2200 hours and surveyed exceptionally well. Better than most with 4-500 hours.

Phil