PDA

View Full Version : Classics Help!

dclassic
06-07-2004, 02:32 PM
I am in the market for a classic and need some advice. I am torn between the 16, 18, and 22. I want to be able to run 70+ and do some skiing as well. I have been told to stay away from the 16 and 18 for 70+ speeds so apparently I need a 22. I am wondering if yall would reccomend a bravo combo over a blackhawk or other surface drive? Can I ski behind a blackhawk or other surface drive? I find George Desmond's X-18 project most interesting, but I don't want to kill myself. Are the surface drive boats that difficult or dangerous to drive? Do I just need to stick with a bravo? Can anyone out there share some thoughts and experiences, I could use some help. What would you guys choose if you were in the market? Thanks!

Dr. Dan
06-07-2004, 02:51 PM
:spongebob D Man ....In My Opinion...You would get the most out of a Standard Sterndrive ...an XR is the stronger stock Bravo...but a Bravo 1 would definitely suit your needs.

I would stay away from a Surface Drive for a few reasons but the most is that you want "versatilty in application"....you are not trying to set a new water speed record like GEO...and skiing above 45 mph gets nuts anyway....

A surface drive takes longer to finesse and plane out...a BlackHawk is a rare drive and parts and Props will buy you about 6 sets of skis. So I would pass...if you are looking used...there are always alot of nice boats to be acquired here.

Otherwise...new a 496 HO 22 Classic is a great performer...with turnkey reliability.... my next choice would be a used 22 with a 502 MPI Motor...very buildable and a good low 70's boat all day long...

I have been happy with our 454 and we have skiied behind it...my brother got up first try in over 20 years up in Michigan...didn't even get his hair wet...course he has hair :cool!: ....I think the leverage for Hole Shot is more important for what you describe as your use and a standard drive would serve you and your family best...any detailed questions...fell free to PM me or Email.

:beer: Doc

dclassic
06-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks Dr Dan! I appreciate your thoughts. I cant help but ask... Would you agree the 22 is better than the smaller classics for my use or could I do ok with a 16 or 18?

DonziChick
06-07-2004, 03:18 PM
My dad has had all 3 at one point in time or another. We've had people ski behind out 16 just fine, but it wont get the mph that you're looking for.

We have an 18 and a 22 right now and I'm sure that they'll both pull skiers. I think our 18 runs somewhere in the 60's but from what I hear that can be pushed into the 70's. I believe the 22 runs around 72 mph or so depending on people and how full the gas tank is.

I will say this though, 50 in the 16 can feel lilke 80 in a 22 because of how it is build and how close it is to the water. The 22 has a little more space for the skis, food, people and such. It may be what you're looking for, but I'd say take another look at the 18 as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dr. Dan
06-07-2004, 03:33 PM
:wavey: Elizabeth is correct....I would opt for the 22....I love them all...but having enough room....is a factor with shuffling all of the ski gear...we normally carry in our 22 a Tube and at least one Slalom Ski...I have all of the Ropes, Fast Pump for the Tube...one year we used it down in Florida at the Owners Rally..... :jestera:

I word of advice and caution about skiing behind any boat with Thru Hull Exhausts....they are noticeably more Toxic to Ski behind for long periods....my wife has had some Major Air Time in our Tube behind our Classic and that was her only complaint....other than the Crazy Driver :rlol:

So keep that in mind....give the Skiers some Breaks and make them aware of this ahead of time in case they feel faint or Nautious. It can hamper an other wise good time...its not really bad...but if you are doing alot of Start and Stopping it gets to be more of a Factor.

Doc :smash:

dclassic
06-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the thoughts! Much appreciated, anyone else??:odie:

dclassic
06-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Sorry about the ending on my last post, not sure what I did.

ChromeGorilla
06-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey whats goin on up there in hotlanta. In the last few months I was in the same position. My wife and I started to look at boats. At first i was looking for a used or new 18. then after actually getting on the water in one, my wife was terrified. The 18 feels like you ride on top of it while the 22 feels like your actually in the boat. More freeboard. So then my search shifted to looking for a nice used 22.
I test drove a few and in the end,while I found some very clean used ones out there, we test drove a 22 with the 496HO. Well,then my search shifted into looking for a 2003 left over or a good deal on an 2004.
Long story short, I'm awaiting delivery of a brand new 22 classic 496HO as I type.
Also alot depends on what you're lookin to spend. 20-35k would get ya a hell of a nice used 22. 40k to 45k lookin at thew few '03 leftovers that are out there. And 45k up for '04 classic. I was about a gnat's a$$ away from buying this boat..(wow it's been reduced...I was about to buy it for 41,500)...even though '03 it's an awsome price for a brand new boat with traileer and some nice options. IMHO. 22 classic Nelems Marine (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/2/34795302.htm) So good luck dude.

olredalert
06-07-2004, 05:13 PM
--------From my youth when I used to ski every day, the 18 was a great ski-boat. Smaller wake than a 22 if that matters to you and probably a little sharper,crisper handling at ski speeds. Faster on plane as well. Your goal of 70mph will be somewhat more attainable and comfortable in the 22 Classic however. So now do I have you completely confused?
--------Of course we had no 22 Classics back in my youth. I did have a 21GT that I used for skiing occasionally but it had a no.3 Merc drive and big-block and was somewhat stern-heavy so planing off was a pain unless the tabs were used. Back then we had no monitors for tab position so I didnt like using them any more than I had to as I felt like I would have to go back to the stern and check on their position all the time. Hope any of this drivel helps............BILL S

dclassic
06-07-2004, 05:39 PM
I actually drove out to Nelems Marine and looked at his classics and that very boat. They are good people and Robert is the guy who also recomended the 22. He also suggested shying away from a very nice looking blackhawk I spied on the trader as he claimed they porpise, don't ski well, and parts are a challenge. Such a conundrum.

txtaz
06-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Everyone is giving good advice. I would add that it depends more on what you plan to do with the boat, cruise or ski. Also where you plan on doing it. We have an 18, but would have gone with the 22 if Ted's 22 came up for sale earlier. We mostly cruise on smaller lakes and works fine for us. I definately agree with DonziChick, food, toys and boat coke room is important. The 18 gets a little crowded on a long weekend with more than 2 people.
Oh, our 18 has been to 67MPH on half a tank of gas and 1 person. Still have 600 RPM's yet to get out of the motor so it should be in the 70's. Sounds like tomorrows project since it's raining here.
Hope this helps.
Wes

Cuda
06-07-2004, 06:59 PM
The people that own them love them both, but I've never heard of anyone who moved up to a 22 that said they wished they had stayed with the 18. Remember, those intermediate steps ALWAYS cost money. Get the 22, and don't look back.

Tidbart
06-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Cuda,
I have to respectfully disagree, to a point. :smash: There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 18s for the purposes he has listed. It all depends on the waters you want to run in. I'd guess that most of the one who went to 22s needed bigger boats because they were running the Gulf or Tampa Bay and in that case the extra feet are worth it. For smaller lakes and rivers, without the 4-6 footers, the 18 is just perfect.
Mine will run 68 all day long, I might even hit 70 under the right conditions and that is with a stock 350 mag/ bravo. It wouldn't take much to get it into the 70's, new air filter, headers??
Anyways, each of these boats has their unique characteristics, and each has a price range.
My vote would say buy an 18. I might even know someone with a real beauty for sale, turnkey. Look here......
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33611

Real nice guy too! :biggrin:

Bob

BUIZILLA
06-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Dclassic, where will 80% of your boating be??

J :pumpkin:

Cuda
06-07-2004, 08:07 PM
I certainly defer to the more experienced with Donzi's, but as he put it some skiing. For more room, stability and able to handle bigger water comfortably, I'd pick the 22, but it's his money. :smile:

Cuda
06-07-2004, 08:10 PM
BTW, Poodle had the correct answer.........Donzi's by the bunch! :)

pmreed
06-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Poodle's exactly right.

If you're looking for an "all around boat", you don't want a Donzi Classic. They make only fair ski boats. They're pretty useless as a fishboat, although I've thrown a line off one. I sure wouldn't cut bait on the engine hatch!. Lousy dive boat...where the heck do you stow all the gear, and pretty hard to throw your tank, weight belt, etc. into the boat and then climb back in. Besides, you'd worry about tearing that built-rite upholstery or dinging the deck. If you've gotta have a Donzi, there are better choices for each of those functions than a classic. I wouldn't haul fishing gear, bait, or scuba tanks around in my Z8 either, but I love driving it, as I love driving my 22 Classic. They're both sporty, handle well, and are both at the top of their class as long as you use'm for what they're designed for. The classic is purely and simply a sport boat. They won't outrun a high powered bass boat, or a tunnel hull on a flat lake, but throw up a little sea and we just go faster while they're headed for the trailers. And if you want attention, you sure get that too. I've never met a knowledgeable boater who didn't respect a Donzi Classic, and most of'em will admit that at least once in their life, they truly lusted after one. I'm one of the few, like most of the other Registry members, who have made that dream come true! All this, of course IMHO. :D

Phil

dclassic
06-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Our boating around Atlanta consists of several smaller man made lakes that have rather placid water. Very calm compared to Lake Erie around Buffalo where I grew up. I think we would survive just fine in an 18 as far as lake conditions, but the 22 is much roomier.

I plan on buying just one of these boats and keeping it for quite a while. Trying to skip the intermediate step so to speak. I really appreciate all your great advice. Please keep it coming.

dclassic
06-07-2004, 08:34 PM
I don't expect the classic to be a tournament ski machine, I just want to know if it will pop my 200lbs arse out of the water and cruise on plane at skiing speeds around 30mph. Thats all I need to be happy, and that nice V8 rumble of course. The boat might be used for skiing about 20% of the time if I was to speculate and cruising/very fast cruising the rest of the time.
:rlol: Thanks again to all!!

pmreed
06-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Regardless of what I said in my post above, yes you can ski behind a classic...any of them.

Phil

Bad-Tat
06-07-2004, 09:45 PM
DC,
Blackhawk is not the way to go if you want o ski. Unless you like skiing above 35 and a lot of water in your face. They don't really plane off below 35. Hard to see over the bow at speeds lower than that. The guys that say the 18 is the way to go are right unless you really have to go over 70 all day.
If you do decide on a 16 look at the red one at RPM up on hwy 369.

olredalert
06-07-2004, 10:50 PM
------Dont forget the effect of a good prop for both uses. A good power prop that lifts the stern (?) and has great acceleration would possibly make a 22 Classic a way better ski-boat. Just change the prop out for top end. Then maybe another third prop for all around good fast stable cruising...............Bill S

dclassic
06-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Bad-Tat,
So even with the K planes and drive trimmed the blackhawk still won't plane below 35? interesting. How is your hawk to drive otherwise? What is a good cruise speed? How does it handle? Would you trade it for a Bravo? Why? Any other thoughts you think might be important in considering purchasing a blackhawk? Thanks.

Bad-Tat
06-08-2004, 06:16 AM
DC,
Here is a former post on driving the Hawk.
They are a bit hard to drive and you must pay attention to the changes in the water and stay ahead of it with throttle and tabs. Best thing is to leave the drive straight up and down at all times. Tabs full down to get up on a plane. Balance the boat side to side then as you add throttle bump up the tabs evenly. Walk them up slowly after you get to full throttle. It won't pull over 4900 until you get the props out of the water then the boat will get a bit loose once up on top. If it starts to porpoise you either have to drop the tabs or pull back the throttle. (FAST!)If you don't on about the third hop the stern will try and pass the bow from the under side. Not a good feeling. Just ask Roadtrip about that one. The bow will ride about 12" higher than a normal 22 when flying. Lots of fun just work up to it slowly and you will get the hang of it. You might want to add grab handles for the rear seat passengers. They get a bit testy over 75 if you don't.
It is a blast to drive but you have to stay ahead of it at all times. Had it go vertical 3 wks ago and still haven't figured out where the water had changed to cause it. That being said it is a blast to drive and no I wouldn't change it for a bravo. Unique boat with a one of a kind paint job.

dclassic
06-09-2004, 12:59 AM
Thanks for all the great info! I appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions. I think we will just have to take each one for a spin and see which one talks to us... decisions decisions.

If anyone else has thoughts, feel free to share as my hunt has just begun. Yall have fun out there :boat: and let me know if you see any clean late model classics!:)

Cuda
06-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Probably the best idea is to come to a Donzi gathering, check them all out, and see which one blows your skirt up. :tongue:

ChromeGorilla
06-09-2004, 02:27 PM
You said you had taken a ride over to Nelems. How did you like the blue '03 22 classic he had. 38k for a brand new 22, captains call, blue sides, custome interior,cd player with 496MAG and trailer.....am i wrong or is that an awesome deal...anyone?

MOP
06-09-2004, 02:43 PM
I have a hunch why that blue 22 has not sold, the dark upholstery is a nightmare on a hot day suuny day. I had one boat with a red interior, had to cover the seats to try to keep them cool enough to sit on. More than one person got super POed about getting burned on the seats.

Phil

ChromeGorilla
06-09-2004, 03:41 PM
MOP....hit the nail on the head....that is the lone veto item from my wife on this boat. But at 38k, I dunno.....could probably live with it...or change it.

ChromeGorilla
06-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Ok OK here it is.......your new boat dclassic........not only is it bad a$$ it's got one of those uber bimini's....shweeeeeeeet! :eek!: :hyper: :wink: :spit:

MOP
06-09-2004, 07:38 PM
MOP....hit the nail on the head....that is the lone veto item from my wife on this boat. But at 38k, I dunno.....could probably live with it...or change it.

Woodsey "Baron Von Outboard" may still have a white 22 interior, 38K is a sweet number if you can scap Daves interior.
Drop me a note I will get you in touch if interested.

Phil

dclassic
06-09-2004, 11:41 PM
The blue 22 is a beautiful boat and the price is right, but we were leaning towards red or yellow with the white seats for the same reason as above. We are still pondering a 16 or 18 as well. If the interior room was not such a factor I believe one of the smaller boats would be fine. I suspect some water testing will make the decision easier.

Have any of you noticed any substancial difference between the 16 and 18 in ride, handling, and fun factor? For that matter, how substancialy different is the 22 from the smaller ones?

Thanks again to all, great info.

Rodger
06-10-2004, 02:54 PM
You'll have about the same interior room in a 16 or an 18. Working in the engine compartment is tougher in the 16 though. The 18 is better in the rough water and potentially faster. The 16, I think, is better for skiing. In fact, it's not a bad ski boat at all if you only consider the skiing part. The 22 is a lousy ski boat. The wake is sharp and big. If all you want to do is be pulled around with no aggressive slalom action; the 22 should pull you up just fine-especially with trim tabs.

blackhawk
06-11-2004, 09:21 AM
DC,
Blackhawk is not the way to go if you want o ski. Unless you like skiing above 35 and a lot of water in your face. They don't really plane off below 35. Hard to see over the bow at speeds lower than that.

Bad-Tat, is your boat a blackhawk or a regular classic with a blackhawk drive? My boat planes easily under 20mph with the tabs down and will stay on plane all day at those speeds nice and flat with no bow lift. Also, I have no roost at all until higher speeds when I trim the drive out a little.

boldts
06-11-2004, 03:00 PM
d,

My first Donzi was an 18' Classic. I and friends skied behind that boat all day long and even pulled a barefooter with it a couple times. The 18 has a nice place to put the skies with the holder being under the front deck. We could put a kneeboard between the passenger seat and the inner tub and if we brought the tube with us, we'd tie it down on top of the engine hatch using the side rails and the rear lift ring. Now, for refreshments, we had 2 options. If only 3 of us going, we found just the right sized cooler to fit between the front bucket and back bench. If 4 or 5 of us going, Classics have a well between the front buckets that have drain holes. We'd fill that compartment with ice and refreshments and move our ropes and other things I carried in there to the back engine area where on the 18, there is plenty of room. There was also another compartment under the back bench seat that held the battery. The battery had a cover making the rest of this hole usable. Only problem with this compartment was that you have to lift the seat padding to get to it so we didn't put anything we would need in a hurry in there.

As for running an 18 in 3 to 4 footers, Lake Erie was a blast for me. I used to take my boat to work as a patrol boat at the local club Offshore Races. Lake Erie kicks up in a hurry if your not careful, but even though I experienced some 6+ footers on that lake, my Donzi always got me back to the dock and on the trailer safe and sound. I often got questions and strange looks from racers on a day when Erie was blowing asking why I would launch on a day like that. I had a simple answer and I believed it. It's a Donzi and there isn't a better 18 built! Many complimented me on the boats performance after the race as it was my custom to run a lap of the course. You learn how to throttle a boat in big water and how to go from wave top to wave top. Don't get me wrong, I stuffed the bow a couple times and soaked myself, but man did I love that boat!

The last Donzi I owned was a 22 Classic. The 22 is a Suburban compared to the 18. Much smoother ride in big water, but not nearly as nimble as walking an 18 over a wave. We bought the 22 for the "In the Boat" feel you get and we had a 5 yr. old daughter at the time. We felt the boat would be safer for her. The room aspect of the 22 is uncomparable to a 18 or 16. The boat feels caverness in comparison. The bow seems to go on forever when you sit in the drivers seat. Truthfully, my daughter didn't like the 22 as much as the 18 because with the added size and being down in the boat, she lost the wind in her face aspect of the 18.

Let me also add, after you ski, you have to get back into the boat. Most Classics do not have a ladder attached or a swim platform on the transom. We used to climb up on the outdrive and up the transom of the 18. Let me tell ya, after a long run, we wished we had a crane attached to the transom as our arms were totally wore out! My 22 had a real nice ladder that locked into brackets on the top, side of the deck. It folded up fairly small up under the bow. Just another part of the Classic not being designed like a performance ski boat.

All thats left now is for you to experience both boats and decide for yourself what fits your needs. Me, if just on an inland lake with an occassional trip to bigger water and wanting to ski behind a Donzi would pick the 18. If you do your boating on ruff water and you have a bigger family than 3, the 22 would probably be the better Classic, but you won't enjoy sking behind it quite as much. Good luck with your search and keep us all in the loop of your progress. :)

txtaz
06-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Scott, Very well put.
Wes

customan
06-12-2004, 04:48 PM
i had a 16 it was love at 1st sight ive never loved enything more, she was my 1st, but in a big lake on a rough day it was hard to keep it in the water and passangers would fly out of the boat causeing there drinks to be doluted by lake water some days the boat was like a surf board ridding a wave . it was fun," being a surfer",but I bought a brandy new 22 496 ho and although i felt a bit guilty about putting my 16 up for adoption i knew it was best for my baby "sweet tart "im sure shes doing fine in her new home . so if you dont want a broken hart go big you will be much happier with a 22 faster more stable . some say its not the size but the motion in the ocean, but being italian i know thats BS! youll get less complaints from passangers who ride . ski behind someone elses boat !

Formula Jr
06-12-2004, 09:31 PM
This question really does revolve around what kind of response do you want out the boat and if you are willing to pay for the expodential increase in cost of use by going to a larger boat to achieve the same thrill: What part of the country you live in and whether a larger boat really does fit into your current life style. For instance, I think the 22 is a beautiful boat, but to get the same thrill of driving, I'd have to put at least a 502 in it. Then I'd need a bigger garage, and i already have a big garage, or rent storage and a more powerful tow vehicle to use it with. To seek the same thrill, I'd have to tow it great distances to find open water and something better or equal to two or three footers. So smaller boats just make more sense for where I live (16-18) and the kind of driving I like to do. I'd say, if you are "close to" open water, and the land is relatively flat, then you can go larger and not feel the effects as badly from a financial standpoint. I've driven some larger boats, and the feeling is magnificient to power something over 22 feet especially with twins, but the sense of water play isn't there for me, cause the reaction time is so long with the throttle unless its got engines I couldn't afford to run anyway, I like to feel the boat push and leap itself over waves and in some cases I want to feel it slow enought to follow the topography. :eek:. And once you get over thirty feet, there's not much to think about most of the time and I know I'd spend myself into debt trying to find bigger water to get that feeling back of a responsive helm. There is a Classic Donzi you are not addressing here, that being the Hornets. They are big "day" boats but since they have 19 degree deadrises and a rather traditional hull, They plane fast but are less of a comfortable ride than the other 24 degree deadrise classics. There is a what I would call a dead zone in many of the +18 foot Donzis. The 350 and 350 M in a +18 boat with Alphas. That doesn't get solved unless you get to BIG power, different drive and a lot of thought. There are exceptions, but for most that leap is big. Many of the mid-late 80's Aronow boats suffer this. You can see some of the solutions here, but just ask what that truely cost. And you can quickly see why so many people end up upside down on their boats money wise. There is another direction, which is to smaller and more responsive boats. Its a choice. Just as valid as any other choice. Me I don't care anymore about going really fast, I like going 60 with what I have, and personally, I'd rather go 50 in confused 4 footers (the upper limit of my driving skills in a sub 20 foot boat) than 70 in anything, yet just float over it all. I don't want the boat to solve all technique of driving for 90% of what I may want to play in.

TBroccoli
06-14-2004, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=boldts]d,
My 22 had a real nice ladder that locked into brackets on the top, side of the deck. It folded up fairly small up under the bow. Just another part of the Classic not being designed like a performance ski boat.

I own a 22. I have a family of 5. The only thing that bothers the rest of the family is trying to get back into the boat. BOLDTS ,, If possible send pics &/or info on the ladder you had on your 22 classic. I can still pick up and throw the kids into the boat. Wife is not too fond of my palm pushing her a$$ up over the side. And both my parents (over 60) hate sliding their bods over the engine hatch to get to a seat. All family and friends would love taking the 22 classic out for the weekend as much as me if boarding was easier.

Crazy Horse
06-14-2004, 04:04 PM
I think my 22 Classic is a lousy ski boat. My 18 was better for skiing but still disappointing if you are really into skiing. The 22's wake is large and breaks with difficulty for most skiers (takes getting used to), the thru hull exhaust makes the skier's nausous, and it's notorius high-turn makes it uncomfortable for passengers.

I used to have a little 16' Checkmate outboard which was a better ski boat then either my 22 or 18.

Bad-Tat
06-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Scott,
Blackhawk hull with raised X dim and rocker. 150 K planes. As I recall you have the 180's?

blackhawk
06-15-2004, 08:13 AM
Bad-Tat, I replaced the stock 150 K-planes with 280's. Made a huge difference.

markdonzi
06-15-2004, 12:12 PM
The 22 definately has a large wake for skiing, but what kind of skiing are you going to do. If you are looking to shortline slalom the donzi is not the ticket get a nautique but the 16 and 18 are OK ski boats and the 22 is a hellacious high speed death tubing boat. We used to have contests on Lake George with a stop watch to see how long someone could stay on. Good old ted Prime was the champion until i whipped him through the weeds at 60++. Good old boy held on but the grass cuts on his forearms were pretty deep.
markdonzi :kaioken: :rlol:

ChromeGorilla
06-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Markdonzi I am litteraly LMAO right now....whipped'em in the weeds @ 60 ....I can picture this. My buds and i used to have tube wars when we were teens on my old mans boat.... :rlol:

dclassic
06-16-2004, 12:11 AM
I would like to thank everyone for some great info and advice. Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated. I am still not sure which one is for me, but the hunt is on! Hopefully we will land the perfect classic shortly. In the meantime if anyone stumbles into a clean late model classic 16, 18, or 22 with V8 power and a windshield please let me know. Please keep the great info coming as well. I have learned a lot from yall in a very short period of time. Thanks.:)

Barry Phillips
06-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi Dclassic, I owned an 18 and now a 22. My 18 was a blast to run, kick ass hole shot, turn on the rails handling, but not as dry or smooth as a 22 in the rough stuff. I operate my boat on 2 large lakes the Great Sacandaga, NY, ( of X Files fame ), home base and Lake George NY, about 5 or 6 days a season. The Sacandaga is a fairly wide lake about 6 miles across so it can get pretty choppy and Lake George usually not as rough is busier with large party boats so wakes are more of an issue. With that said the 18 dose not have reverse chines, add less freeboard, coupled with the shorter hull, spray control is more of and issue. The 22 which uses reverse chines and due to it's longer length and deeper hull is a dryer more comfortable ride. The 22 has more accessible storage, for instance I could not store a life jacket gear duffle under the 18's deck, not enough clearance between the dash panel and the floor. For the same reason it's easier to crawl under the deck to access gauges and such. The 22 is as easy to tow with a mid-sized SUV, and I find it easier to launch and retrieve on most launches. The low freeboard on the 18 causes the rub rail to get hung up under the bow stop least on my trailer. My Eagle uses a roller bow stop and the boat slides ride off and glides right on, no problem, again this could be a function of my trailer. I love both boats for different reasons but again it boils down the size of the body of water on which you intend to run the boat. The larger the body of water the larger the boat, no brainier.

DoTheMath
06-22-2004, 11:46 AM
dclassic~

I just bought an '04 18 Classic with a 350 Mag / Bravo and although I have only run it for about 2 hours, I love it! I have come from larger boats, more free board (a 27 Formula most recently) and I can honestly say this is more fun. We also have an '01 Wellcraft 23 Excalibur with a BB and a pad keel and in equal water, the 18 rides softer thru the wakes than the 23', (we are on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH). It has the windshield and tabs on it, (tabs are well worth it on this boat) and with a pending prop change, (from a 23 Mirage + ) I figure it will be solid! The build quality is as good or better than my last two Formulas and to top it all off, my wife loves the 18. No kids yet, so we look at it as a Carerra for the water, not terribly practical, but a bunch of fun, and more room / storage and comfort than may appear to be there. I haven't tried - nor do I plan to - skiing behind it, but I am sure it could be done. I have seen a couple of good deals on the net for some '04 18's, new and ready to go. I am sure that either way you go, you won't be unhappy.

The picture below was taken this past weekend at a friends dock. And at the town docks, she gets LOTS of attention! Best of luck on your hunt for that perfect Classic.

-Mark-

dclassic
06-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Hello all,

I was delighted by the generosity of Bad-Tat and his Donzi gang this weekend on Lake Lanier.:rlol: Thanks to these guys we got to ride in three different 22 classics and compare the differences. The result being, we are leaning towards a 22 as significant parts of the lake are much rougher than we expected and much of the time we were in the air (especilly in the blackhawk :biggrin.: ). We had a great time but fear the 16 or 18 might pound us a bit too much.

I posted a wanted ad for a 22 as that is probably what we will end up with, but if we stumble into a nice 16 or 18 I will have to check them out as well.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences I learned a lot and appreciate it very much! Thanks again Bad-Tat!

dclassic