PDA

View Full Version : Beached it too many times... a little advice?

yorkey
06-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Hi everyone!

I just did a visual inspection of the bottom of my 1992 22' Classic and I found that the paint is completely gone on the center seam of the hull going at least half way to the back of the boat. You can see the fiberglass threads in there. Although the seam is smooth to the touch and it appears to still be rock solid (you can't feel any fiberglass material, you can only see it), I want to ensure that I care for it properly as I intend to keep it for a long time.

Am I being paranoid? (Do all of them look like this down there?)

What is the best thing to do to make sure that the seam is protected properly and that the rest of the bottom is cared for as well?

Thank you (In advance)

Greg K
06-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Sounds like it's time to find a good fiberglas and gel coat person to fix the keel and where the damage is. Gel coat on the bottom to match the rest is the best way to go. :smash:

GKricheldorf
06-07-2004, 12:49 PM
I have heard you can buy a strip of plastic material that is clear that can be put on. I have not looked into it yet, but plan on doing so. I'm sure someone will chime in knowing what it is.

MOP
06-07-2004, 01:42 PM
If you decide to attack this yourself below is what has worked for me for many years.
Most of the time from beaching just the gel coat sheds being more brittle leaving the glass in decent shape, If you look most of the glass will be pretty shinny in the slight hollows. To get new gel to stick the shinny surface needs to be sanded just enough to dull the surface and taper out a little onto the the onto the adjoining surfaces. Gel can be brushed on in coats left to cure and sanded between each coat, you need to build up the thickness both to match the height of the adjoining surface and for cosmetic look. Most anyone can turn out a decent job if they take their time. I like hand sanding with a soft block on the keel as any of the mechanical sanders will make flat spots and make it harder to get the radius's back looking nice, start with good coarse paper for prep and until the last two coats then it changes down to smooth paper quickly. I start with #50 for prep and do the gel with #100 between coats until the last coat or two there working with #220 down to #400-600 and 800 on the final, a bit of compound it should look like new.