PDA

View Full Version : What is the most prized/ collectable Donzi.

Scott Heidt
06-07-2004, 12:18 PM
I was just curious. What would be the most prized/collectable/sought after Donzi out there, and what is it worth? For example is there a certain limited production classic model that is so rare and sought after or a model that was really popular but just a handful remian in extistence?

Just curious! :boat:

Marlin275
06-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Some would say a bench seat Hornet
So few made

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29387&highlight=bench+seat+hornet

Ranman
06-07-2004, 01:45 PM
These boats are not like the same as the old classic cars. Donzi, relativly speaking, has a small following. This makes each specific model and value very subjective. Here are a few one might consider *highly* desirable.

Bench Seat Hornet
Criterion (II and SS)
Corsican (any)
28 Sportsman
El Pescador (Olred hads the only nice one I know if)

Jet drive 18's are rare
X-18's are popular and somewhat rare
Factory BBC 18's are rare
OB 16

F-14's and Baby Donzi's are very rare
Donzi Dink's are rare (ultra rare with the peek-a-boo option)

Even the Blackhawks are somewhat collectable, though not all that old.

I'm sure I left a few out.

Morgan's Cloud
06-07-2004, 02:04 PM
If how infrequently the St Tropez is mentioned is an indication of it's rareness then it really should be on the list... I mean... everyone knows what a Criterion is and for 7 years my 'other' Donzi was a Benchseat Hornet :rlol:

Scott Heidt
06-07-2004, 02:35 PM
I guess I shouldn't have taken that bench seat out of my Hornet II. :) It was just so dam worn out and ugly. I still have it though just in case I want to resote it and put it back!

:eek:

HyperDonzi
06-08-2004, 07:33 AM
What about the Ferrari Red 22's? Weren't there 3 made?

mattyboy
06-08-2004, 07:50 AM
what randy said plus
a spitfire plus maybe a single digit 16 hull number

Matty

Ranman
06-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Ah yes. I missed the Spitfire. Would love to see one of those at a Donzi gathering. I knew of one here in MI, but I don't know what ever happened to it.

Woodsy
06-08-2004, 09:51 AM
I pretty much agree with what Randy said.... but my list would start a little differently...

1. Any Donzi actually produced while Don Aronow owned the company.

2. Any of the low production number boats. My personal fave is the 22 Classic OB. There was only one of these produced. Of course I am biased... :biggrin:

these are in no particular order..

Bench Seat Hornet
V-Drive 16
OB 16
V-Drive 18
Jet drive 18
Criterion SS
Spitfire
Corsican
X-18
21GT (twin engine option)
BlackHawk (std, not the screaming chicken version)
El Pescador
28 Sportsman
F-14's and Baby Donzi's are very rare
Donzi Dink's are rare (ultra rare with the peek-a-boo option)

Woodsy Von Outboard

mattyboy
06-08-2004, 10:04 AM
forgot about your boat Woodsy ! sorry ;)

Matty

Last Tango
06-08-2004, 11:44 AM
My 2001 Classic 18 with MX6.2MPI and Bravo 1 (and Bimini - hahaha). WHY? Beacuse it's PAID FOR. Not having a boat payment - priceless!

roadtrip se
06-08-2004, 11:50 AM
My boat is extremely collectible to me, I have endless hours in making her into what she is today, and I intend to keep her a long time.

As for the ones I don't own, I agree with the others here, AND I would include the Blackhawk LE. But the concept of a collectible Donzi gives me a chuckle. They really aren't collectible at all. They are for running, showing off at events, and not seeing yourself go by every weekend on the water.

The more rare ones are cool to see, but putting it away as a collectible kind of defeats the reason for having it in the first place doesn't it?

Todd

RickSE
06-08-2004, 12:14 PM
The 22-Classic Special Edition 500EFI.

Only 3 factory boats were made all being 2002's, 2 in blue & 1 in black. This boat was perfect with all the right equipment to go fast and look good doing so. The boat combines the best of the old and the best of the new. It has all the style of a classic with modern horsepower and convinces. It's my opinion that the SE is better than the Blackhawk, more power with a better hull and equipment, and it's certainly a lot rarer.

Fish boy
06-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Not that it really belongs on this list, but while on the subject, has anyone ever seen a red on red 18 with the stainless windshield (testarosa?)? My brother and I had one when we were selling boats back in th eearly 90's. Looked like Greg's 22 but was an 18 with a 350 merccruiser/alpha drive.

Don't know how many of these were made or if this was a special order and the only one. I think the model year was about 87 or 88. Sold it to a guy in naples. Sure wish I still had it :(

Just curious. BTW great thread. :)

BUIZILLA
06-08-2004, 02:23 PM
How's about an outboard St. Tropez ???

I spent a LOT of time on one of these with twin inline 6 cyl. Merc's in the early 70's, red/white, belonged to the Asa Grove's family in South Miami. Kept at Dinner Key Marina barn and Coral Reef Yacht Club for many years.

JH

Greg Maier
06-08-2004, 02:32 PM
I think RickS has a repressed case of Blackhawk Envy !!!

Fish boy
06-08-2004, 02:42 PM
FB,

There was one for sale on the right coast here for a long time. I may have a pic @ home.. Sharp boat, should have kept it :D :D

Definitely shold have kept it, but I was young and stupid. I am older now... at least I cured one of the two afflictions. :)

Scott Pearson
06-08-2004, 07:55 PM
How bout the last 14 Donzi Baby pulled from the mold that went with Don Aronow through Magnum and then to Cigarette. Once there it was rigged at Cigarette and titled as a Cigarette # CRT14001.

Nice piece of history............

(NJ)Scott
LGDCC

BERTRAM BOY
06-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Definetly 008

Moody Blu'
06-08-2004, 08:00 PM
you cant forget the holman and moody edition donzis. Not like its the rarest but it has some nostalgia.

does anyone actually know how many of the homan and moody editions were made?

but if i had to choose it would be 008 I think once they hit that designit just branched from there

Dr. Dan
06-08-2004, 08:36 PM
:spongebob Some Cool Cruising Donzis to behold!!!

:beer: Doc

Scott Pearson
06-08-2004, 09:13 PM
I'm gonna name it Doncig............

(NJ)Scott

Fish boy
06-08-2004, 10:22 PM
:spongebob Some Cool Cruising Donzis to behold!!!

:beer: Doc

I never get tired of seeing pics of Ole Red's El Pesc.

mattyboy
06-08-2004, 10:43 PM
I'm gonna name it Doncig............

(NJ)Scott

how bout a
cigarettzi
donzarette
:tongue:
or you could paint it green and white and make it look like a pack of KOOLS ;)

Matty

Morgan's Cloud
06-09-2004, 07:23 AM
How's about an outboard St. Tropez ???

I spent a LOT of time on one of these with twin inline 6 cyl. Merc's in the early 70's, red/white, belonged to the Asa Grove's family in South Miami. Kept at Dinner Key Marina barn and Coral Reef Yacht Club for many years.

JH

Did such a thing exist as an original factory creation ?

Am sure that a few survivors have had brackets bolted to the sterns :puke: but I've never heard of an outboard St T from the factory....

Like FB for some reason I too never tire of seeing Olered's ride :biggrin:

BUIZILLA
06-09-2004, 07:45 AM
Did such a thing exist as an original factory creation ?
Am sure that a few survivors have had brackets bolted to the sterns :puke: but I've never heard of an outboard St T from the factory....
Like FB for some reason I too never tire of seeing Olered's ride :biggrin:This particular ST was a transom mount deal, perfect motor well setup, engines were close together though, not a big motorwell at all. In fact, with the engines tilted up, if they were moved to either side just a little, the cowlings would hit the motorwell rear outer corners, cause I remember one cowling got slightly dented this way. Full width bench seat across the back. Engines were loud as hell sitting back there. No counter-rotaters back then, so tab usage was frequent and mandatory. No brackets back in the early 70's, and I have NO clue if it was factory installed or not. It was such a perfect job, it just had to be factory done. I believe it was built for a single outboard and the first owner rigged it with twins. I also believe they bought the boat from the original owner when it was about 1 year old, and they had it for several years after that. All I know is, it was an awesome running boat at the time, and the ONLY twin outboard ST that I ever saw, to this day. Anybody that was around Coral Reef Yacht Club back then, would absolutely remember the boat.

JH :cool:

Morgan's Cloud
06-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Very interesting stuff !

I know that the only listed engine options for the St T ranged from weenie L4 Mercs to the 200 Interceptor (weenie by today's standards :biggrin: )

That jet drive 18 is a joy to behold !
I remember when I had my factory tour in '75 with John Chisholm I asked him about really custom engine options. He told me that they had a guy order a GT21 who supplied his own monster engine and wanted it to be a jet installation.
When it was completed the factory engineer took it for it's water test and came back with white knuckles.John said that the customer was very pleased and they never heard from him again !

S

olredalert
06-09-2004, 09:47 AM
---------One has to wonder if Roy Farmer did that St.Tropez for himself for fishing in the Keys. I know he was the main guy behind most of the center console stuff that went on at DONZI because he loved to head south and hang out a line.
---------I would like to thank all for your kind words on the El Pescador, by the way. I know Roy would have approved as well! The only thing he wouldnt have liked is the lack of a bunch of dedicated fishin stuff..............Bill S

Morgan's Cloud
06-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Not to take this way off topic Bill,

Everyday now I pass on my way to work and back an old Sonic 24 centre console.Years ago it had 2 monster OBs on it .. now just one.
Thanks to the info exchanged here I now realise that it is the same as your hull.
Interesting old boat but nowhere near the 'panache' of the El Pesc !

S

Greg K
06-09-2004, 10:48 AM
BTW, Sonic chopped up the molds a few weeks ago... azzholes.. :banghead: :banghead:

At least you have the El Pescador Boat Co. business cards still.. :yes:

Barry Phillips
06-09-2004, 11:04 AM
In terms of prized, MINE, and feel every guy and gal on this site feels the same way.

As far collectable and sought after…

22 Blackhawk 502, rear birds indeed.

Barrel back 18s with H&M or Shelby American power

Hornets rare and and I’m sure one of the first consumer Donzis along with the Sweet 16.

Minx rare and beautiful lines, even better with big block power and the Testerossa option.

Testarossa 22, one of my favorites.

X18 again rare and cool, great lines.

Spitfire really rare, I’ve never seen one.

Baby Donzi 14 again very rare.

22 SE edition big $$$ and power, I think only 3 exist, the Scorpion 18, again very few made and very fast.

I have also seen a one off 2+3 18 built for the Miami Boat show.

I’m sure I missed something, but I still love my Classic 22, great lines, clean color sceam and always turns heads and prompts conversation and compliments, as I’m certain every boat I’ve listed

Hope I spelled Testarossa right, don’t want to offend Don.

I love them all.

mikev
06-09-2004, 11:19 AM
you mean my 19' regazza bowrider with a v6 isnt the most highly prized on of all dam just burst my bubble. :D :D :D

GEOO
06-09-2004, 11:42 AM
How about that Limited Addition X-18 "DESMONZI"
Most inkeeping with The Creators Vision? :rolleyes:

mattyboy
06-09-2004, 12:02 PM
I think the fastest model might have some collectible value
right Geoo ;) :yes:

Matty

olredalert
06-09-2004, 01:29 PM
-------The DESMONZI definetly is a one of one, along with the owner. Few have seen it because at speed it is impossible to focus on! At rest, with the engine hatch closed the uninitiated dont seem to notice it. At part throttle, a speed rarely seen out of the DESMONZI, many "fast boats" often underestimate it. BIIIIG mistake! GEOO is posatively in my DONZI Hall of Fame..............Bill S

ToonaFish
06-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Very interesting stuff !
That jet drive 18 is a joy to behold !
IS

My alltime favorite odd bird...
http://www.donzi.net/photos/bmclaughlinrooster.jpg

Barry Phillips
06-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Sorry George!

Did I mention the Criterion, the ultimate bow rider and the F22.

freeradical
08-30-2004, 07:22 AM
We got what is supposed to be the first 18 2 + 3 jet boat with a 455 olds. Turns on a dime and will scald the pants off almost anything in its class.

Try turning almost to wheel lock at full throttle in anything else!