PDA

View Full Version : Another Windshield Question

GKricheldorf
06-07-2004, 11:57 AM
My darn windshield is cracking. :kaioken: Currently it is about half the way up to the top. Can i drill a small hole in it to stop the crack and fill it with some silicone? Or will it continue to crack?

MOP
06-07-2004, 12:36 PM
My darn windshield is cracking. :kaioken: Currently it is about half the way up to the top. Can i drill a small hole in it to stop the crack and fill it with some silicone? Or will it continue to crack?

Stop drilling should hold you for qiute some time, use a very shallow ramp bit and cut very slow. Soften the edges of you your drilled hole with #800 paper take a small piece and glue it to a pencil point, insert it in the hole and twirl it gently until nice and smooth any roughness will lead to more cracking. Something else I have done is to take an all glass syringe(regular ones the plunger seal will melt) with small needle and very carefully trickle acetone into the crack most of the time it will stick the crack back together. It will usually leech into the crack from the drilled hole. It must be done slowly with great care as the acetone will smoke up the surface.

GKricheldorf
06-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Ohhh - sounds like a good plan. My windshield is tinted so the "smoke" color will not be as pronounced(hopefully).

Thanks MOP !!!!