PDA

View Full Version : Help, Hard Shifting !

DON N.
06-07-2004, 05:25 AM
A Friend Has A 1987 King Cobra Outdrive And Its Hard Shifting From Foward To Neutral Or Reverse Into Neutral Is This An Adjustment Or Is Something Worn
?

BUIZILLA
06-07-2004, 06:40 AM
Look carefully at where the cable exits the transom housing, and connects at the outdrive itself. They have a nasty habit of rusting through the cable jacket right where they attach to the outdrive itself. The cable balloons there, and restricts/binds the movement needed. Lay on your back and look straight up into the outdrive front housing, and you'll see what I mean.

JH

DON N.
06-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks I'll Let You Know If Thats It.

Indyblackhawk
06-17-2004, 08:58 PM
I don't have one now, but my last boat did. OMC uses a idle disrupter circuit that disrupts the idle during shifting. When this module fails, the shifting occures with full idle torque on the motor. A quick check is to shut off the engine just as the shifting proccess is getting difficult. If the shift becomes easy, it is likely to be this module. Over the years, I replace the module as it failed. I finally reverted to the mercruiser scheme that completely shorts out the ignition rather than just disrupting it. Easy fix, just connect the ??? interupter switch dirrectly to the (-) of the coil.

Hope this helps - no time to spell check.

DON N.
06-23-2004, 05:58 PM
What You Describe Is Just What My Friend Said . Thanks !