PDA

View Full Version : It started yesterday part two!

Surfer
06-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Here are the facts:
1) Fuel seperator full.
2) Fuel pump pretty new.
3) Filter at carb real clean.
4) Removed carb, cleaned carbon from internals.
5) Carb squirts gas with throttel abvance.
6) Engine turns over and fires,(increases RPM with throttel advance)

But won't keep running! What am I missing?

A beautiful day to work :smash: on the boat. Thanks Rich

Cuda
06-06-2004, 02:59 PM
You are running out of fue.

Disconnect at the carb and see if you have fuel, if not:
Remove the fuel line at the fuel pump outlet to see: if not:
Remove fuel line at intake and blow through it with air.

Cuda
06-06-2004, 03:02 PM
How much fuel did you put in the tank after you ran it dry?

Once I had a problem in my fishboat that was driving me nuts. The boat would run great for 40 miles or so, then would start missing real bad. After many false starts, I removed the pickup tube and found a hairline crack in it. When the fuel fell below this level, it would start missing.

RickR
06-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Is the engine running while key is turned to "Start" then quitting when key is in "Run"?

Did you check timing?

Is it missing (moisture in distributor cap)?

Is engine flooding (with fuel)?

Fuel pressure checkers are available at your local auto parts (to check fuel pressure on an injected auto eninge). Can be modified with some hardware parts to check fuel pressure at carb.

Cuda
06-06-2004, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=RickR]Is the engine running while key is turned to "Start" then quitting when key is in "Run"?

QUOTE]

That crossed my mind too, but he said it responded to throttle briefly.

need for speed
06-06-2004, 03:31 PM
inturupt switch if it has one.. That was my problem...

David O
06-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Surfer
I had all the same facts and this is what I found yesterday.

The fuel pickup tube in the tank was for the most part clogged at the screen in the pickup tube therefore creating a vaccum between the pickup screen and the engine. After I would sit and flounder around in the middle of the bay for a while it would start back but yet I could only idle, run for maybe 10 minutes and quit again, let it sit and go some more.

Cuda
06-06-2004, 04:06 PM
I once pulled a pickup tube out of a jet ski that had sat for a long time. The gas and two stroke oil had turned into a substance that looked just like number 1 permatex.

mattyboy
06-06-2004, 07:46 PM
get a small ob gas tank with a primer ball rig her up to the fuel pump carefully and see if it runs like a 1 or 2 gallon tank

Matty

RedDog
06-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Just another option - is your kill switch / lanyard set. Or could it be bad?

Surfer
06-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I checked the kill switch, the engine fires with switch engaged, no fire with switch off. When I advance the throttle, a solid stream of gas injects into the carb, dosen't that indicate its getting gas? I refilled the tank full, and it ran fine the day prior to the problem.

MOP
06-07-2004, 08:38 AM
When you start it does it stay running for a minute or so? Just thinking it may be possible that the key switch is bad. On most setups when you go to the start position with the key there is a separate hot start circuit from the solenoid that supplies 12 volts to the coil, when you release the key to the run position the voltage drops back to about 8 volts via a resister usually within the coil. Just for giggles take a jumper wire and supply 12 volts direct to the coil then hit the starter if it stays running change the key switch. Don't run it to long with the jumper the coil can overheat.

David O
06-07-2004, 12:23 PM
When I advance the throttle, a solid stream of gas injects into the carb, dosen't that indicate its getting gas?

Yes. I had the same fact. But is it getting gas fast enough to run the engine? Maybe not.
It is to easy to check all your fuel lines for a restriction all the way back to and including the pickup tube.

Surfer
06-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Phil, as soon as I let go of the start switch, it stops, I tested the switch, no B+ in off, 12VDC in the run position, and obviously 12VDC in the start position. What about the relay near the coil, what is its function, is this the solinoid that you mentioned?

txtaz
06-07-2004, 05:51 PM
inturupt switch if it has one.. That was my problem...

Ohhhhh, I floated for hours because of that one.
Wes

Richard McCoy
06-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Is the float stuck closed and will not let the idle jet flow fuel.

MOP
06-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Phil, as soon as I let go of the start switch, it stops, I tested the switch, no B+ in off, 12VDC in the run position, and obviously 12VDC in the start position. What about the relay near the coil, what is its function, is this the solenoid that you mentioned?

Try my jumper wire trick from battery to coil if it runs check harness plug for tightness and cleanliness if all OK sounds like the switch is not keeping voltage to the coil, it sounds like you are losing power to the coil after the start up. The solenoid gives you 12 volts to the coil for quick start when the key is released to the run position it drops to about 8 volts. Again try running it with the jumper wire that will eliminate the key switch from the circuit.

Phil

Surfer
06-14-2004, 01:49 PM
After many hours of amature trouble shooting, the answer is...
a small crack in the coil resistor, no volts to coil after start. I learned lots of new stuff on this one.