PDA

View Full Version : A swap question ALPHA S/S DRIVE

Walt. H.
06-05-2004, 03:05 PM
S.S Alpha -1 To swap or to buy, like new! :checkered

Anyone in need for one in 1.36:1 ratio or to trade for a 1.50:1

It has been checked and freshened up supposable two years ago, with also a new water pump assy. I was buying it for myself until I found out that its not the ratio I need, (1.50:1)
The skag has been shortened by 1 inch and is trimmed straight again to please the eye. Or do you have a upper gear set in 1.50:1 to sell me? :wrench: :smash:

To buy outright the price is $1800.00

Thanks,
Walt :wavey: walriengineering@aol.com

Lenny
06-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Walt, there are two SS's in parts for sale...1:50-1

Walt. H.
06-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Hi Lenny, Yeah I know theres two but there's no mention of what the gear ratio is, are you sure that they are 1.5:1? I'm looking to sell first or trade, I don't mind having a spare S/S but not for $2500.00 each when i'm looking to sell one for a whole lot less. :bonk: :embarasse

The 1.36:1 is for a big block set up or a small block that is making a whole lot of H/P like the previous owner had who was running it on a supercharged small block chev. :checkered :D

Thanks for the heads up just the same.

Walt :wavey:

Cuda
06-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Can't you just prop yours down?

Lenny
06-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Walt, yes they are both 1:50-1. I phoned him in regardss to them. He also has the Land and Sea stern jacks to go with them as an additional item. He also has 1:36 or whatever gear sets too.

Walt. H.
06-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Yes Cuda I could prop down, but I would be loosing some top end which defeats the reason for going to an S/S in the first place.
My engine is basically a stock 350/260 h/p Chev, for now so the 1.5's is the gearing of choice for my application.
Maybe I should hang on to it for future plans? it won't go bad thats for sure just maybe "obsolete. :eek:

Thanks for the thought though,
Walt :wavey:

Ps, Thanks a bunch Lenny for the ratio varification call but i'm working on another S/S locally for a thousand less $$. :yes: :p :rlol:

Rootsy
06-06-2004, 12:49 PM
walt,

i don't quite understand how you'd be losing top end speed... if you prop down accordingly in order to a get to your target RPM @ WOT you should have the same out of the hole acceleration, cruise speed and top end that the 1.5 ratio has... the loss or gain would all be in the prop efficiency.

gear for gear the 1.36 is a bit stronger than a 1.5 unless the 1.5 has HD gears in it which are more beefy.

i have a gear set and bearings to swap her to a 1.5 if you want.. but umm some SERIOUS work might be required ;)

i say leave her 1.36 and run her...

Cuda
06-06-2004, 03:14 PM
walt,

i don't quite understand how you'd be losing top end speed... if you prop down accordingly in order to a get to your target RPM @ WOT you should have the same out of the hole acceleration, cruise speed and top end that the 1.5 ratio has... the loss or gain would all be in the prop efficiency.

gear for gear the 1.36 is a bit stronger than a 1.5 unless the 1.5 has HD gears in it which are more beefy.

i have a gear set and bearings to swap her to a 1.5 if you want.. but umm some SERIOUS work might be required ;)

i say leave her 1.36 and run her...

That's what I thought too Rootsy.

MOP
06-06-2004, 05:32 PM
I know NOT! But I was told that a faster turning prop has less slip, if that is true would'nt the 1.36 be a good thing as the lesser pitched prop would be truning faster at the same engine speeds? Inquiring mind.

Phil

gcarter
06-06-2004, 05:46 PM
i think the thing some of us might be overlooking is on an inboard, you would be useing much larger diameter props, considering these ratios.

George

mattyboy
06-06-2004, 08:18 PM
yes and have you taken into account the difference in the X dimension and the specific hull characteristics ??? as some props like to run airated more than others is this on a 16 18 or 22??? or are we taking a Z boat??? ;) I know of aleast 2 16's with a higher X that run quite well :yes:

Matty

Walt. H.
06-07-2004, 12:13 AM
J.R / Rootsy,

Sorry I couldn't answer sooner but I had to leave for work soon after my last post, it sucks to work most weekends! :bawling:

Anyway thats what I thought too at first like everyone else here. But then it was explained this way to me by someone who has been there and done it, and you also being a drag car builder at times will relate to this explaination as well. :wrench:
We don't put smaller diameter tires on a race car to bring the rpm up in high gear at top end, we put taller gears in the differential. In this same case scenario going to a smaller pitch prop is the same as putting smaller diameter tires on.Yes the rpm's will be up but the mph will be less.

If that 1.5:1 gear & bearing set you have is for a S.S unit i'm interested because I have another S.S upper half that made "Alphabits" out of itself and I could use those parts. The gear & bearing set is different from a regular Alpha 1 unit. This isn't the set up you had in your originally S.S is it? Because I remember you telling me that it had a 1.64: or 1.63:1 ratio way back when during your initial s.s installation.

Let me know when you can the condition, price and if they came out of a s.s unit.

Thanks,
Walt :wavey: :germany:

Ps, this is Mecruiser's gearing rule: 1.84:1 for 4&6 cyl, 1.50:1 for small blocks and 1.36:1 for big blocks

Besides I like the look of a big pitch prop :rlol: :embarasse :rlol:

Rootsy
06-07-2004, 05:40 AM
Walt,

i pretty much stand by my original post... this is not a car application and we can't compare... hp in = hp out... minus frictional and heat losses of course... you should see the same speed or damn close to it... when propped right...

i was kidding about the gears.. the only thing i have is the set i JUST replaced.. which are missing a few teeth...

the bearing set IS THE SAME as the regular alpha 1.. the gears are the same as the regular alpha 1... the seal set is the same as the regular alpha 1... i just did this last week...

JR

BUIZILLA
06-07-2004, 06:47 AM
the bearing set IS THE SAME as the regular alpha 1.. the gears are the same as the regular alpha 1... the seal set is the same as the regular alpha 1... i just did this last week...JR
I dunno about dis... the one bearing for the HD gear set is absolutely different from stock Alpha. The other bearing is the same. The support hub of one gear is a LOT thicker requiring a smaller I.D. bore support bearing on this one position. The O.D. is the same. I don't have the exact dimensions handy, but it's visually obvious...

JH

Rootsy
06-07-2004, 07:29 AM
I dunno about dis... the one bearing for the HD gear set is absolutely different from stock Alpha. The other bearing is the same. The support hub of one gear is a LOT thicker requiring a smaller I.D. bore support bearing on this one position. The O.D. is the same. I don't have the exact dimensions handy, but it's visually obvious...

JH

Jim,

you are correct... i should have clarified... the HD set driven gear is deeper and therefore uses a thinner bearing and race. the "standard" driven gear uses a much deeper cone... but as far as STOCK components go... the SS to alpha 1 parts are the same and vice versa... the HD set requires the one special bearing no matter what case you put it in...

one "weird" thing i did run into... the drive gear and twin cone assy on my SS upper had like .084 worth of shim to set the gear depth... with the new gears, bearings and preload procedure i ended up at like .089 to achieve .025... there was a split spacer ring in there when i took it apart to help build up the shims... think this must ahve been a lake X anomly...

forgive me.. it was 6 something in the morning... :bonk:

Walt. H.
06-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Jamie,

Your forgiven for your 6:am s.s parts are the same error, :bonk:

I'll stand by my original post too, does anyone want to buy or swap this out-drive?

So now we might have another great fuel tank,etc,
debate going and it isn't even winter. :uzi: :smash: :yippie: :checkered

If propping could correct all gearing issues then OMC, Mercruiser and Volvo could have saved a ton of money with one sterndrive gearing fits all engine size torque output 6's/8's and big 8's. :rolleyes: Me think 1.36's will improve fuel mileage too! : :rlol: :boggled: :hyper:

W.H :wavey:

BUIZILLA
06-07-2004, 12:12 PM
If propping could correct all gearing issues then OMC, Mercruiser and Volvo could have saved a ton of money with one sterndrive gearing fits all engine size torque output. :rolleyes:W.H :wavey:
When I repowered my 205 4Winns from the V6 to the V8, I kept the original 1.8something V6 geared drive, and re-propped accordingly. It leaps on a plane with the 23" Solas I chose, turns 4600 and 57.4 mph with it. Torque multiplication baby. This boat will fool ya.....

JH

Walt. H.
06-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks Jim You are right on the money,

That's why I rather have a 1.5:1 with a 21 or 23 inch pitch prop then use a 1.36:1 with a 17 or 19 pitch.

Walt. :wavey:

Walt. H.
06-09-2004, 01:37 AM
I tried to give everyone the benifit of doubt so I spoke with a local Merc repairshop and dealer that did some racing of his own and still sets up some big $$ performance boats at his dealership. I ask and explained to him the issues I was told here of using both ratio's regarding the S.S drive. He shook his head and stopped me mid stream and put it like this. Your currently swinging a 21" pitch performance prop with a 1.5:1 drive with a stock 350 in a 18ft, correct and he knows my boat. Unless you're going to to build alot more H/P engine now you can't use that 1.32:1 ratio unless you drop down to a 17" or even a 15" pitch and your going to go slower just the same, plus your not going to find any performance props in that pitch range! You'll look good on the trailer but you'll be a slug in the water.

So like I tried to say earlier, if you have a big block with an Alpha drive or a mountain motor small block, I have an "S.S Alpha 1" for ya! :biggrin: :checkered

Jamie, you have a lighter boat then I do at 16ft, with an engine that is making more H/P then some big blocks and you are swinging a 25"-27" pitch prop. So if you weren't selling your boat this drive I have would probably be a perf, benifit to ya. stronger gearing and all plus you could step down in pitch to 21"-23". :yippie:

W.H. :checkered

Check this picture out, A pleasure ride for those hang-over fishing days. :cool: :umbrella: