PDA

View Full Version : cobra to king cobra swap questions

thestoragelot
06-05-2004, 02:44 PM
hey guys got a question, i recently had my drive stolen and was looking for a new one found a sweet deal on a king cobra, i had a cobra, someone told me they were a direct swap, but when i got the drive that was clearly wrong as there a bit bigger and set up differently, i need to either find a king cobra gimbal asembly or is it possible to swap gimbal rings or housings to make them work like alpha one gen 2 and bravo stuff. Do they still make them new ? any help would be great also if anyone sees a bright blue cobra or a 23 pitch cleaver SS prop for sale its ,mine id stay with a cobra drive but i just got a 500 hp new engine so i dont think it would last long anyways

MOP
06-05-2004, 04:34 PM
You may want to check with surveyors and marine claims adjusters, drives are easy to find but the shields are a pain. I have used the method above with good results.

Phil

thestoragelot
06-06-2004, 11:40 AM
anyone know or have had experience with about 440 hp on a cobra outdrive? thats one reason i wanted to get a new drive but i wonder how much a cobra will take, and will the newer ones take more like the sx take more power ?

thestoragelot
06-06-2004, 11:40 AM
anyone know or have had experience with about 440 hp on a cobra outdrive? thats one reason i wanted to get a new drive but i wonder how much a cobra will take, and will the newer ones take more like the sx take more power ?

thestoragelot
06-06-2004, 11:41 AM

Dr. Dan
06-06-2004, 01:10 PM
:jestera: Rick R , Red Dog and now Blackie...all with the Original Genuine Risk BBC 18 was the resident higher horsepower King Cobra...most recently Greg K has installed a Healthy 502 in front of his King Cobra in his Smokin Coool Red 22.... :cool:

I have been told they are actually very strong...and unless you abuse it...not unlike any other Stern Drive...they will last along time...the Kings were much heavier....I have had no issues over the last Three Years...and we've been known to attend a few Events. :party:

Doc :smash:

thestoragelot
06-06-2004, 02:30 PM
i know what a king cobra will take, im asking what a cobra, or cobra sx or volvo sx will take?

Dr. Dan
06-06-2004, 04:48 PM
:bonk: Sorry....

Phil your turn...........I'm outta here..

MOP
06-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Dumper it my lap EH Dan! I am not sure what the bottom shifter IE: Cobra will hold, have seen about 400hp run for awhile and still does. On a KingI have seen a twin turbo cammed 460 Ford not sure of HP guy swore GPS 80+. Being a former OMC mech have seen quite a few Kings beaten to death on big cruisers, with no known failures. I think the reason was Volvo was in cahoots with OMC on the developement which should put them in the Maytag class.

Phil