PDA

View Full Version : Problem filling fuel tank

TuxedoPk
06-04-2004, 12:43 PM
I keep having a problem where the fuel nozzle shuts off before my tank is full. First happened at a gas station in Jamestown and left me out of gas on Cumberland.

I'm back in NJ and the gas station pump kicks off.. I go to pump some more fuel and it goes for another several dollars and kicks off. I start it pumping again.. takes another several dollars and kicks off... Ultimately I pump maybe 15 gallons past the initial kick off before it starts overflowing.

Take a run down the Hudson, fill up at a marnia on the water.. same issue.

Still lots to learn, but I thought pumping gas was one of my core competencies.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?
(It feels like the the pump is F@#$ng with me that I'll get off with a lower fuel bill each time)

Surfer
06-04-2004, 12:47 PM
I have taken to pumping by hand real slow, it seems the back preassure for shut off is a bit more than a car, and I want avoid gas all over the deck.....take it slowwwww

need for speed
06-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Check your vent , I had :lookaroun a boat that did that due to the vent being blocked.

mattyboy
06-04-2004, 01:04 PM
how's your vent line?? if the tank is real low you're trying do displace alot of air
fueling problems , towing problems , starting problems
Man you got it all going on Tux :tongue: I think someone is sending you a message ;)
remind me to keep my distance at the dustoff there sparky, :eek: you should have stuck with chopper guns :rlol:

Matty

Forrest
06-04-2004, 01:59 PM
I've had dirt-dobbers plug the vent lines on a number of boats in the past including recently a vent line in my Magnum. By all means, check your vent line!

TuxedoPk
06-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the advice- I'll take a ride to check out the vent lines tomorrow.

Forrest- What are "dirt-dobbers" ?

MOP
06-04-2004, 04:02 PM
CITY BOY! Thats them black wasps that build those adobe huts up under your eves.

MOP

Mr X
06-04-2004, 04:06 PM
I've had dirt-dobbers plug the vent lines on a number of boats in the past including recently a vent line in my Magnum. By all means, check your vent line!

I thought that was another "HOMO-PHOBIC" wise crack

Glad you cleared that up Phil!! :hyper:

Last Tango
06-04-2004, 04:49 PM
I agree with the pumping too fast problem and with checking the valve. I have had problems over the years exactly like yours. Particularly with fuel pumps that are for cars or are used to fuel big boats with big tanks. The air displacement valve and line are just not big enough to handle the high pressure pumps. And the check valve can bind up if it sits long enough between refuels. Sometimes it works fine. Sometimes it doesn't. Such is boating. It sounds like your problem is it will take ALMOST all the gas at the speed you are pumping which explains why it runs for a while and stops. I also found that if I didn't put the nozzle quite so far down into the opening, that more air could escape and it would pump faster without the cut-off hitting so often. Backing off from "full penetration" by just an inch or two helped reduced the problem.

Ed Donnelly
06-04-2004, 06:09 PM
If I backed off an inch or two from full penetration, I wouldn't be filling anything.Ed

Dr. Dan
06-04-2004, 06:29 PM
:umbrella: I can tell ya from experience when Towing for "Prolonged Distances" the vent on our 22 will syphon out gas if we fill it too high before the long haul.....I almost always tow it 3/4 full or better...it Trailers better behind the Urban Carpet Assault Vehicle.....

I would get to my destination and look down at all of this dirt that had gathered in a spray pattern below the Vent.....lesson learned....

Also don't stand on the down wind flow side of the Vent if someone is filling the Tank.....ask Liz how to get 92 Octane smell out of your hair. :spongebob

Doc :beer:

gcarter
06-04-2004, 06:42 PM
:...it Trailers better behind the Urban Carpet Assault Vehicle.....

Doc :beer:
I allways wanted to know what a "UCAV" was! :) :biggrin: :jestera:

George.....I hope you get your parts soon!

mattyboy
06-04-2004, 09:47 PM
problem filling the fuel tank, dirt dobbers, homo phobic, full penetration ::: :eek:
if someone mentions a "tip" they got from a rear admiral I'm outta here
OH MY!!!!!!
backing no running away from the PC :tongue: ;) :)
too funny LMAO

Matty

pmreed
06-04-2004, 10:19 PM
I've always had trouble filling the tank on my 22 Classic. If I fill any faster than gravity feed out of 6 Gal. can, it overflows. I dread filling at a gas pump, because it takes 20 minutes or more to fill the tank. Vent's clear and no twists in the filler hose. I've learned to live with it, but you don't want to hang around behind me if I need to pump 40 or 50 gallons.

Phil