PDA

View Full Version : Up and Running

GKricheldorf
06-04-2004, 09:40 AM
:moped: I would like to thank RickR, Rootsy, MOP, Madpoodle and Rayjay for giving advice on my re-power. Last night I got the motor running and it sounds SWEEEET and SMOOTH – purrs like a kitten. Wednesday I attempted to get it running, but missed two oil galley holes on the bottom of the motor. Needless to say it dumped oil all over the bottom, but it was only a quart or so. So after a few minutes of cleanup it was all good.

I’m not a mechanic. No formal training on anything related on motors. (well I own an 82 Jeep CJ7 and I off-road all the time and fix what I break, but that is it) I sell computer equipment. The anxiety of doing this correctly was killing me. I would wake up in the middle of the night thinking about what I worked on that evening. When that motor fired up I was elated. After getting gas to the carb it came to life only after a few cranks on the starter. When I was gathering parts from different marine shops those guys would ask me if I knew what I was doing. I would say nope, first time. The looks I would get were funny – like I was crazy. That didn’t help my doubt in anyway. Now it’s time to break it in. I’ll go out in the ocean tomorrow and run it for 5 hours. I sure hope it’s a nice day tomorrow.

Any of you guys that pay to have your boat worked on - STOP. Do your research, read read and re read. Then take a whack at it. As long as you have access to the tools, a couple reference manuals at your side you’ll be fine.

I’ll post some pictures this evening from the start to finish.

MOP
06-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Run it around easy for about an hour continually varying the throttle 30-3500, then dump the oil and filter most all of the initial metal breaking loose from the breaking in will get into the oil in that first hour. Then most go 10 hours and change again I go 5 but I am anal about break in.

Phil

Cuda
06-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Congratulations! They sound much sweeter when you made the music! :)

GKricheldorf
06-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Hey MOP,

I ran the motor last night varying the rpm up to 2500 for 30 minutes. Didn't have time to change the oil because the sun went down. I'll change the oil tonight when I get home. Tomorrow I plan on running for 5 hours then doing another oil change. Then another when I hit the 20 hour break in mark.

DONZI
06-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Congratulations.
Also re ck.-tighten every bolt you can see.Including intake & exhaust maniolds. I hope it"s a trouble free season for you the rest of the way.Yes it pays off to learn.The shop rate around here is $75.00 hr. :eek!:

txtaz
06-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Way to go, it means more when you do it yourself. Besides it's a boat and the knowledge will come in handy later.
Wes