PDA

View Full Version : 40th Anniversary Edition 22' Classic: Hull #1

Riley
06-03-2004, 09:04 PM
I had an interesting evening down at our local marina here in Cedarville, MI. They just received shipment on a beautiful new 40th Anniversary Edition of the 22' Classic, which is supposed to be hull #1 of that build. Apparently a well-to-do family out of Chicago bought the boat and had it shipped up here.

The boat is absolutely beautiful, with the yellow and white color combination and the vintage graphics, and sitting on a custom yellow trailer. She's powered by the 496, but top speed (according to the guy that took her for the maiden voyage) is limited to 70 mph. He said a warning horn goes off, and then a rev limiter kicks in. Is this a common feature on these boats, or do you think it might be propped wrong?

Speed limited or not, this is one of the sharpest boats I've seen in a LONG time. Hope to beg a ride in 'er this weekend!

TuxedoPk
06-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Can't think of any prop that causes a warning horn to go off.

Rev limitters when set correctly are a good thing- Especially when you're letting someone else control the thottle of your boat.

What doesn't make sense to me is why there would be any need for a warning horn to go off at a particular RPM in the case of a rev limitter which would prevent an overrev situation in the first place.

Are you wondering what a properly propped 22' classic with a 496 should run?

Riley
06-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Yes, I realize that the prop itself wouldn't cause a warning horn to go off. ;) However, if the prop was too small for the powerplant it would allow the engine to over rev and bang against the rev limiter, wouldn't it? I believe the boat had a 23" Mirage on it.

I've never heard of any type of "speed limiter" being available on any boat, that's why I brought it up in my post.

ChromeGorilla
06-04-2004, 02:46 AM
Hmmmm intesresting....soon I'll be able to post some gps #'s for my new 22 classic. 496HO. We'll see.

FASTEDDIE
06-04-2004, 05:55 AM
Our Lake George,New York Donzi dealer "Boats by George" brought a new 40th Anniversary yellow boat to our picnic last September 2003 so I have doubts that the boat your looking at is hull number one.Check it further.

Dr. Dan
06-04-2004, 06:54 AM
:cool!: Fall Picnic...... 2003

Riley
06-04-2004, 08:11 AM
Being the curious sort, I went back down to the marina this morning to look this boat over again. She is, indeed, running a 23"p Mirage Plus prop, and is powered by the standard 496.

The boat apparently came from Nelems Marine (?), but I have no idea where they are located. She was shipped into Mertaughs Antique and Classic Boats, here in Hessel, MI. The hull number, taken from the starboard side of the transom, reads as follow: DNAC30001F304. I was hoping one of the experts on here could decipher that number, to see if this boat really is hull #1 in that Series. The family that bought the boat was told that it was #1, and that the hull number would greatly increase the value of the boat.

Kind of funny, but the new owner hasn't even driven the boat yet. When he was told about the speed being limited to 70 mph, he wasn't too impressed.

Surfer
06-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Buy the way, I have this file, and can make high res posters do you think anyone is interested?

Dr. Dan
06-04-2004, 08:18 AM
:wavey: Keep in mind that that power plant is only 375 Horse....so actually 70 is pretty good IMO.

Nelems is down South.....I hear good things about him, he orders all of his boats with that same series engine...he has ads on Boat Trader....search under Donzi Classic... he likes unique or limited production boats/designs.

I would imagine a 496 HO would put more of a grin on his face...or his daughters! :jestera:

Doc :smash:

RedDog
06-04-2004, 08:21 AM
I would think it would need a 25 inch prop to see 70. I would also think the 496, whether a MAG or HO version could pull the 25 inch. The 23 inch is likely hitting the Merc rev limiter - I don't know what it is set at on a 496 though.

Pismo
06-04-2004, 08:32 AM
The 425hp HO version is set at 5150rpm.

boldts
06-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Since the boat came from Robert Nelems of AL, it very well could be the very first 40th 22 Classic built. Really wouldn't surprise me if it was the boat at the Donzi Dealer meeting also. Mr. Nelems is well respected and like Doc mentioned, often times has options on his boats that other dealers do not purchase.

I think that all of you would be interested that most MC engine packages come with a RPM limiter. The key is to prop the boat so that this limiter setting is not being reached. Me thinks that someone will either change the prop to run an inch or 2 more pitch or find that horn wire and disconnect it :smile:

On the prop issue I can only suggest what has worked for a number of 22 Classic owners who have taken the time to try Precission Propeller's Turbo 1 prop. This prop for some reason really seems to perform well on the 22 Classic hull. I'm not saying that the Mirage + is a bad prop, just that the 23" is too small on pitch if it's hitting the RPM limiter and that the Turbo 1 in many cases has added a couple MPH to owners 22 Classics. Precission sponsors the MWDonzi club and has been at our AOTH gathering the last 2 years. So, that is one reason why I make this suggestion. The other, their prop is the best MPH per dollar spent item I've come across so far for the average boater not looking to spend big engine bucks.

Now, me personally? I'd leave that 23" Mirage + on the boat when my 16 yr. old is driving it, but keep a 25 or 6 Turbo 1 in the truck for when I wanted to run with the boys! :D :checkered

Rootsy
06-04-2004, 09:02 AM
I'm not saying that the Mirage + is a bad prop

Now, me personally? I'd leave that 23" Mirage + on the boat when my 16 yr. old is driving it, but keep a 25 or 6 Turbo 1 in the truck for when I wanted to run with the boys! :D :checkered

HMMM trip what do you think.. mirage or no mirage :shocking:

TuxedoPk
06-04-2004, 09:12 AM
I think that all of you would be interested that most MC engine packages come with a RPM limiter. The key is to prop the boat so that this limiter setting is not being reached. Me thinks that someone will either change the prop to run an inch or 2 more pitch or find that horn wire and disconnect it :smile:

Don't most electronic ignition systems have built in rev limitters? I know I've got one on my Cranes HI-6M. It can be set in 100rpm increments up to over 9000 rpm. I still can't figure out why anyone would need a horn IF they've got a set rev limitter.

Rootsy
06-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Tux,

on all merc motors with a Thunderbolt V ignition (and maybe some of the Tbolt IV EFI motors) system there is a built in NON-ADJUSTABLE rev limiter in the algorithm for the ignition module... in order to change it you have to change to a TBOLT IV module or aftermarket. on EFI motors you can reburn the ECM... i have not heard of anyone reburning the DENSO TB V ignition module.. actually i hate the thing for performance because it makes up it's own happy ignition curve as it sees fit...

JR - happy with my MSD digital 6 and screwdriver :)

Brad Lyon
06-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Maybe the sound device is to help protect them from a lawsuit? The max. speed limit on all Michigan waterways is 55 MPH unless you are at least 1 mile off shore on a Great Lake or Lake St. Clair.

Brad

PS. One of those large posters would be neat!

mattyboy
06-04-2004, 11:56 AM
I still can't figure out why anyone would need a horn IF they've got a set rev limitter.

actually this is the Stevie Wonder option for those drivers who don't look at their gauges :tongue: but actually it is Pavlovian theory of negitive reinforcement, horn go off no goody type of thing :rolleyes: you know what I mean
"Hey I just spent a wad of money on this here Italian sport boat and I get up around 5500 rpm and the engine quits !! it runs fine at idle ,but has soon as I get up around 5500 rpm it happens wassup wit dat I gotta call the factory what kinda customer service is this!!" :rlol: hehehehe LOL

Any way I think a 70 mph classic is a fine first step into the family if ya know what I mean ;)

I seem to remember the yella one at Lk George as hull 3, what hull was the yella one at the Miamuh show last year, there's a red one around too that had a single digit hull number too
again if my memory is correct or was that an 18???

Matty

Matty

Barry Phillips
06-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Nelems is located in Alabama and if the boat came from there she is the hull# 1. Nelems purchased the boat at the Miami boat show in 03. As for the warning buzzer it is not for the rev limiter but indicates over timing the drive. I have the same feature in my 02 496 Mag equipped 22, which will do 70 mph. The warning will sound off above half trim on the gauge. I'm not crazy about mustard yellow finish, although the 40th Anniversary Edition has some nice features like the matching Momo steering wheel. I think 65 grand is a little steep for a graphics package and stock power. The dealers should at least spec. the 496 HO in the 40th. And again Donzi should rethink the cheesy plastic windshield, the SS unit looks a hell of a lot better. As per the $65,000, my red on white 496 equipped 22 cost $27,000 less including the custom Eagle trailer it sits on, and I have the SS windshield. I liked the SE 22 better at least the package offered K Plains and the HP 500.

Andy McCarty
06-04-2004, 12:57 PM
surfer i wouldnt mind getting one of the posters. Let me know. you can email me andy@taper.com :wavey: :boat:

boldts
06-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Barry,

Thanks for the correction on Mr. Nelems location. I knew it was down there somewhere, just couldn't remember which state. :smile:

As for that trim horn, is that thing hooked to a sensor that is adjustable? Also, when you lift the drive for trailering purposes, does it go off continuely until you turn the key off? If so, a couple trips to the lake and it would become very annoying for sure. :splat: :biggrin.:

Roots, man you know I respect you engineers! With-out you, us regulars wouldn't have any conviences. All I mentioned was that for the everyday, stock 22 Classic set-up, the Turbo 1 seems to work real well. You Hypo guys are another animal all together although the Big Griz seems to like the way it runs on his boat also. I must mention that after riding in Doug Lovin's 18 with a Hydro, I was impressed very much. That Classic runs rock solid at over 70 MPH! :yes:

RNELEMS
06-04-2004, 06:00 PM
The boat being discussed is #1. We ordered it as soon as we received information about the model. If you look closely at the poster photo(that is the actual boat) you will notice some differences between it and the one when you click on the anniversary icon on Donzi's site. Our boats are ordered without rear cleats,without the addon ski tow ring,no white plastic horn,and no vinyl coaming panels or stereo.This is more in keeping with the older boats IMHO.We also have 16 anniversary #2 and #3 in orange and 18 anniversary #7 in powder blue. The warning horn has nothing to do with trim. It goes off about 50 rpm before the rev limiter cuts in. Older engines had the limiter but not the warning for that function. The 22 will pull a 25 Mirage Plus but most of our buyers like the better overall performance of the 23.it planes better and runs better with a load. Depends on how you use the boat. And I don't know where that $65000 price came from,certainly not from us,that is even higher than MSRP. Robert

Barry Phillips
06-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Robert, thanks for the correction on the rev limiter warning, I've only heard it once or twice when i'm getting enthusiastic. I thought it was a trim warning. I think the motor turns a little high with the 23” wheel, but I like the performance. What is the performance with a 25? I looked a 01 454 Mag equipped boat with a 25” Mirage Plus on it, so I was not sure why my 496 boat shipped with the 23, so I call Donzi to confirm. I would like to try a 24” turbo on it for comparison. As per the 65K, there is a 40th on Lake George and I was told that 65K was asking price. I think it’s equipped with an HO, CD stereo and the dual ram sport tabs. Maybe that’s why it has not sold yet.

dirtydee
07-13-2004, 11:56 PM
I have a 22 with the 496 mag in it. It was also shipped with the mirage 23 plus. I see 70mph at about a top rpm of 4800. the owners man. says that 4800 is the redline. Has anyone actually made the swich to another prop with this power plant and what speed did they see and at what rpm...thanks for the help...

Speed-Racer
07-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Surfer...what would be the price on one?

RickSE
07-14-2004, 02:27 PM
This one's been for sale for quite a while at MSRP. The 40th package adds a few grand to the price of a standard boat. The price addition is very similar to the "Rally" graphics package ($4,214 MSRP in 2003) Donzi had on the Classics with custom paint and interior.

The $63,400 40th 22 (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/2/67800522.htm)

I had a 40th 22 on order for myself but canceled when I found a leftover 22 that I just couldn't pass up. :rlol:

wiltok
07-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Can someone tell me if the 40th anniversary package (~$4000)includes an engine upgrade along with a host of other options? Or is it mainly the gel coat, graphics and interior. The boat I am pricing is actually a Sweet 16 with anniversary package (and upgraded 5.0 engine). Thanks!

roadtrip se
07-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Wiltok,

The 40th Anniversary is a trim package only, a real nice one.

Good luck,

Todd