PDA

View Full Version : But it started yesterday!

Surfer
06-03-2004, 04:54 PM
My 18 ran great yesterday, and I ran the tank dry while flushing. Today, she would turn over and and fire, but would not continue to run, after I checked for bad connections (resistor, relay ect) the starter would not kick in at all. Chevy 350 with real old style electrical system (1985). Seems electrical, any guesses, I'd sure appreciate the help.

McGary911
06-03-2004, 05:55 PM
are you sure it's spark? you can place a plug on a ground, and watch the tip to see if it is sparking. I would think it may be lack of gas. There could have been some crud at the bottom of the tank that finally got into the fuel line when you ran it dry. Check your fuel filter(s) for debris. Good luck.

Cuda
06-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Sounds like a fuel problem to me. You can put an inductive timing light on any wire to see if you have fire. I'm betting you do. Try carefully priming the carb. I did this by using a syringe and filling the carb bowels with fuel through the vent. Once I found the big hole in the fuel filter, it ran fine. :rolleyes:

mattyboy
06-03-2004, 08:07 PM
just went thru this with the cig an found a bad fuel pump but if you ran it dry it is possible the pick up in the tank is clogged??? will she fire on ether starting fluid if it pops u got spark but if she won't run for long periods of time I would think fuel problem
if you have a fuel seperator try and fill it and she if she gets fuel this sounds just like last sat to me

Matty

MOP
06-03-2004, 09:39 PM
You say you just ran it out of fuel so nothing else should be wrong if it was running fine the day before, what many don't understand about marine fuel tanks is the anti siphon valve. It is a spring loaded valve that will not let fuel flow without the fuel pump pulling, they are installed to prevent fuel siphoning out if a line breaks. If the system is run dry and the lines are full of air even a good fuel pump has a hard time trying to pump air to pull the fuel through the line. I have had to fill the carb bowl several times to pull the fuel up to the engine on boats that had the tank or lines replaced. Try filling the carb bowl and run it up to 12-1500RPM it may like I said take a few tries. Once the air is out and you have it re primed I think all will be fine.

Phil

vanstee
06-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Vapor lock?

TuxedoPk
06-03-2004, 10:47 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly your problem changed from a fuel type problem where you could crank but not continue to your post "check for bad connections" issue where you turn the key but the starter doesn't even crank.

If this is the case there is a good likelyhood that it is the solenoid that is attached to the starter. You can open the hatch, run the blower for a bit and then try sparking the solenoid with a screwdriver (phillips or flathead :) with the key turned to the start position.

Lenny
06-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Tux, also make sure it is out of gear when he does this... :D

Surfer
06-04-2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys, I believe I have a weekend project. Quick question, does the fuel line from the pump to the carb have to be a metal tube, or is there a USCG approved flex type. Checking the filter at the carb is a b---- to get back on. Rich

TuxedoPk
06-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Tux, also make sure it is out of gear when he does this... :D

Len's right- I've tried it both way !

MOP
06-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Pump to carb line is suppose to be steel, there have been posts on it. There may be approved braided steel not sure, that would require fittings for that type of setup.

Phil

Cuda
06-04-2004, 05:58 PM
There are braided one's that are approved. You can get them at high performance engine shops. This is the only picture I have of them. Much easier to deal with than stiff steel.

DONZI
06-04-2004, 07:51 PM
You say you just ran it out of fuel so nothing else should be wrong if it was running fine the day before, what many don't understand about marine fuel tanks is the anti siphon valve. It is a spring loaded valve that will not let fuel flow without the fuel pump pulling, they are installed to prevent fuel siphoning out if a line breaks.

Phil
One more thing to keep in mind.
They are also a small passageway that can clog easily.

Surfer
06-06-2004, 02:32 PM
See part two.