PDA

View Full Version : Painted Bottom :(

magnum
06-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Found a nice donzi, last owner took the liberity of painting the hull from the water line down..... :mad:
Fiberglass under paint is in good shape. How do I get this paint off, how large of a task is it, and whats the likley hood of me having to sand it off and potentially damaging the glass underneath?

MOP
06-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Found a nice donzi, last owner took the liberity of painting the hull from the water line down..... :mad:
Fiberglass under paint is in good shape. How do I get this paint off, how large of a task is it, and whats the likley hood of me having to sand it off and potentially damaging the glass underneath?

Below a thread that shold be of interest.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34960

magnum
06-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks, I should of guessed there would be a thread addressing that somewhere on this site!!!! :banghead:

Cuda
06-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Is it regular paint, or bottom paint?

gcarter
06-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Magnum, I finally gave up on strippers that were locally available, everyone I tried either didn't soften the paint sufficiently, or it softened the gel also. I stopped at about 15% removed. In stead I'm useing a pneumatic D-A sander which keeps everything real flat and minimizes any damage to the gel. Now the paint on my bottom????? :biggrin: is anti fouling paint and in places it's probably 1/8" thick so it's kind of arduous.
I know normal types would be much easier to remove than the AF paint.

George

magnum
06-04-2004, 10:02 AM
It's regular bottom paint, anti fouling. My concern is damaging the gel underneath. I really dont want to have the hull re-sprayed with gel. If there is a way i can get the paint off im confident that i can get the gel back to nearly normal with a little sanding and polish

gcarter
06-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Magnum, that's what's so important about useing a D-A sander. You can sand till the bottom paint is virtually all off and then clean the rest off w/ a solvent.

George