PDA

View Full Version : shipping guestimate

CDeal1
06-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Does anyone have a clue as to the cost to transport a 26' four winns deckboat from Las Vegas to Memphis,TN? Just a guess would be fine. ($800,$1500,$3000??) It's a 2001 model my boss is interested in. It's on a tandem trailer w/brakes. Also, know any good surveyors in that area?
If its too expensive I may get to fly out there, rent a truck and pull it back. That would be a treat as the furthest west I have been is OKC, OK.

KISSaholic4life
06-03-2004, 11:10 AM
I don't know what Vegas would be, but I got a quote a couple of weeks ago to ship a Sweet 16 from Northern Wisconsin to Tenn for about $1000.00

EricG
06-03-2004, 11:18 AM
I recently did a lot of research into this, and fuel prices are making it very expensive.

By surfing the shipping boards, I was able to get a pretty good deal (around $1.00/mile) from Houston to Seattle, but I got that contract signed just before the fuel prices started to skyrocket. When I called around the standard rate I was told was around $1.50/mile. By the time I got my boat up here from Houston, my shipper told me it should be closer to $2.00/mile now.

Good luck!

-EG

rayjay
06-03-2004, 01:00 PM
I'm going through this right now and $1.00 to $1.50 / mile seems to be the norm, however that was right before gas prices started to really skyrocket. This seemed to be dependent on the distance (longer = lower / mile and shorter = higher / mile) and where the boat is and where it is going. If the boat and /or your destination is where the trucker can not easily get a return haul you can expect to pay more. Also, unless you have a loading dock that the boat and trailer can be gotten on to or a sling set-up that can pick up the boat and trailer, do not forget to add costs for loading and unloading if it is going by flatbed and not just being towed on it's own trailer. This can be an additional $100 to $150 at each end. But ask around. My local "under new ownership" marina, which just happens to be the one closest to my house and our town beach, offered to sling it off for $50. Most of the others were $100 to $125. But all would credit the the sling off cost to my fees if I moored or stored it there.

rayjay

Lenny
06-03-2004, 04:41 PM
CDeal1, if it were me I would rent a truck where you are, big diesel with all the toys, take some time off work, and go enjoy a traveling/sightseeing mission for less cost. The one way rentals and a flight might be more suitable for you but they cost far more. Regardless, this is a cheaper way than having it hauled by a carrier. And since you have not been further West than Oklahoma City, (I went down your toll highway there a couple of years back) it would be a great experience. You could spend a night in Vegas, take the rollercoaster on top of the 700' building, do a space shot in a buggy to 1300 feet, and gamble a bit, then pick out a Lobster at the Rosewood Grill. If you are feeling adventurous you could drive a bit further and see the California Coastline then turn around and pick up the new boat.

That is just what I would do, but I seem to get a lot of holidays to burn up :D

As an example, a one way tow for a 16' boat on a trailer from Texas to Seattle was quoted at $3200 US 2 years ago. I managed to drive there and tow back for $900 US in fuel and have a 10 day vacation to boot.

Sport
06-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Try this : www.shipyourboat.com

Sport

thestoragelot
06-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Ive done alot fo transporting , did one from naples fl to las vegas 2400 on my trailer, usually it averages between 80 90 cents and 1.50 a mile