PDA

View Full Version : Getting the runaround by the dealer and Donzi

cfkingfish
06-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Well, I have been searching everywhere for this tilt motor on the Volvo 280 outdrive for my 68 16 classic, and have come up with nothing so far. I went to local parts stores in Pt. Charlotte, they dont even know what a Volvo 280 outdrive is. I went to the Donzi dealer in a town just south of Sarasota, and the guy there did not know very much - he said the only outdrives that were showing up were AQ series, to which I replied that he was looking in the engine section, but to put a long story short, he could not help me, and said he called Sarasota and they couldnt help me either. What they did say was to "check out a website called www.donzi.net", to which I told him I already belonged to the site, and its not really a parts store, just a forum for discussion and advice:jestera: . So I figured Id put one more post it to see if anyone had any idea where I can get this tilt motor - Im getting a little afraid that Ill never find it! :lookaroun

-Christian

Mr X
06-03-2004, 07:45 AM
I cant believe they dont stock parts for a 1968!! :rolleyes:

Marlin275
06-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Try this guy
Steve
Steves Marine Service
Patchogue NY
631-475-6155
631-447-1234
Pager 516-276-3483
At the boat show he said he had everything Volvo

Last Tango
06-03-2004, 10:05 AM
The dealer was correct... This website is probably still your best source even though we aren't a store. Folks, like above, will know who to call and where to find what you need. Some may even HAVE the part you need and are willing to sell it. I wouldn't hold any boat dealer or manufacturer accountable for a 36 year old boat part any more than I would expect to hold a new car dealership parts counter accountable for a '68 automobile part.
WE are your best bet, and plenty of businesses out there have the right stuff for you. Just gotta start in the right place.
But at least we now all know that Donzi dealers don't have that stuff, and the Donzi factory won't either. Especially when it comes to engines and drives.
I have been to the Donzi factory several times and had the indepth tour and I can attest to the fact that their parts are very limited to just what they are building right now (like this month) and a few pieces they have left over from recent years - but those pieces are hull and trim items. Donzi doesn't actually make anything like hardware - it is all outsourced and brought in for a specific hull.
So for a particular hardware item, one should go straight to the manufacturer of the part, or to our very knowledgable membership who may also have three of what you need squirreled away somewhere in their "personal inventory."

mattyboy
06-03-2004, 11:07 AM
try
www.allislandmarine.com
www.dougrussellmarine.com

let me know how you make out .
I might also know of some other sources.

you tried the the dealer??? now that's funny stuff ;)

Matty

boldts
06-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Christian,

Try a search on Volvo Marine in Yahoo or any of the other search engines available. The trim motor or pump you are trying to find is part of the complete Volvo engine/drive package. Volvo may know of a parts supplier or if nothing else, maybe the part number of the piece your trying to find. I had a Volvo 250 drive on my 1969 18 Classic and had some problems with the electric tilt motor. Through Volvo, I was refered to a parts supplier who was able to tell me the part number and if the part was still available new. Turned out that supplier had the part I needed and I was able to fix my tilt motor.

If you can get a picture of your part, that would also help someone here help you. My definition of a tilt motor may be totally different from your definition of a tilt motor. To me, when you say tilt motor, I'm thinking your 280 does not have power trim. The 250 used an electric tilt motor and did not have power trim. Problem is, maybe your drive does have power trim and your calling a trim pump a tilt motor. Let us see what your describing.

As another avenue that I might try would be to talk to a Bayliner dealer service department. Yes, hard to believe, but Bayliner has used Volvo engine packages almost all their lives. May still be using them.

Now, the hot set-up that I was never able to find was a power trim set-up for the Volvo 250. I've seen it done using Mercruiser power trim rams and even tried looking into a way to replace the electric tilt motor with a hydraulic ram, but I never investigated the cost or actual building of a power trim set-up for the Volvo 250. Might be that in the long run, it would be easier and less expensive to simply swap out the old 250 and go with a newer piece that also had power trim. How-ever, you would loose the originality going that route. Heck, come to think of it, you loose that no matter how you add power trim to a Volvo 250. Sorry, I'm rambling here. :smash: hard to get the old Volvo out of my mind. After all, it lasted 14 years before I sold the boat and to my knowledge is still going strong today.

I should have read MadPoodle's link first. Looks like the answer is there. Very nice looking Classic! All you need to do is pull the old tilt motor out and get the part # off of it. Has an allen head bolt holding a clip like a distributer hold down I believe. Been a while.

RedDog
06-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Humm - I believe I know where I can get one. But it'll cost you more than the previous offer :rolleyes:

MOP
06-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Matty gave you the two of the best sources outside of Ebay, give them a try.

Phil

RedDog
06-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Matty gave you the two of the best sources outside of Ebay, give them a try.

Phil - hummm again. I presume this excludes the source that has one on hand?

Donzi Blackhawk
06-03-2004, 12:54 PM
What!? No extra parts in Ted's shed????

Bryant

Patrik Sweden
06-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Call Volvo Penta here in Sweden, they have everything!

+46 512-328 00
+46 31-68 64 00

(they speak english!)

Time: GMT +1 hour

Or check their cataloge on the web if you could find it:

http://accessorycatalogue.penta.volvo.se/catalogue.asp

Or, give me an clue on wich part you looking for and I can search on some swedish web sites for vintage stuff, that would be very sheep. The cost will be the shipping.

penbroke
06-03-2004, 01:19 PM
See http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34975 for a hint :)

Maybe a stronger hint is required? :smash:

Frank

cfkingfish
06-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the helpful advice. It makes sense that the dealer wouldnt have the parts, that was kind of a no brainer I should have figured out. Like older cars I have dealt with, you always have to go with an aftermarket source. Red Dog, I sent you an email, and if he doesnt have it, then obviously there are many other places where I can look, as you guys provided.

Thanks,

-Christian

rickrsbro
06-03-2004, 04:59 PM
would it be possible to repair your old one? ie new brushes and bearings? i would take it to a old gen/starter repair shop. just don't tell them it's a boat part :smash:

Ed Donnelly
06-03-2004, 05:15 PM
MadPoodle;Can you still get that after market motor for the 280 Volvo? I know someone who is looking for a motor. He even tried Donzi, no luck.. 2 weeks to get it? Thanks...Ed

Scott Heidt
06-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Well, I have been searching everywhere for this tilt motor on the Volvo 280 outdrive for my 68 16 classic, and have come up with nothing so far. I went to local parts stores in Pt. Charlotte, they dont even know what a Volvo 280 outdrive is. I went to the Donzi dealer in a town just south of Sarasota, and the guy there did not know very much - he said the only outdrives that were showing up were AQ series, to which I replied that he was looking in the engine section, but to put a long story short, he could not help me, and said he called Sarasota and they couldnt help me either. What they did say was to "check out a website called www.donzi.net", to which I told him I already belonged to the site, and its not really a parts store, just a forum for discussion and advice:jestera: . So I figured Id put one more post it to see if anyone had any idea where I can get this tilt motor - Im getting a little afraid that Ill never find it! :lookaroun

-Christian

Christian I think I can help ya out. My uncle is a marine parts dealer. He has a huge stock of older Volvo and Mercruiser parts. I talked to him today about the tilt motor you need and he said that he thinks he has one that is like new! Give him a call at 813-872-5544. His name is Robert Hoy. His shop is in Tampa, by Tampa Stadium. I hope this is a help to ya!

Later!

cfkingfish
06-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Robert-

Thanks a bunch, Im going to take al lthe numbers and site/email addresses down and do some contacting. I also wanted to thank everyone for the extra help - Im new to Donzis, but plan on keeping the one I am getting for quite some time.

-Christian

cfkingfish
06-03-2004, 07:39 PM
MadPoodle, you are right, I do want to see whats going on before I throw money at it. I will decide what I need, and when I need it, Ill make the needed calls.

Thanks again,

-Christian