PDA

View Full Version : my puter is messing up, HELP!!

marcdups
06-02-2004, 05:39 PM
I cannot seem to be able to open attachments or jump to another link, what's up with that, any gurus around, puter is a sony viao running windows XP?? Thanks in advance, Marc

txtaz
06-02-2004, 06:00 PM
You have been snagged by the marketing aholes. Go get spybot and adaware. Spybot will clean your system and adaware will block future ad probs. If you really want to protect yourself, get a firewall. That way you can restrict what gets on your puter.
Hope that helps.
Wes

marcdups
06-02-2004, 06:07 PM
thanks Txtaz :cistineb:

DONZI
06-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Maybe you can go to System Restore that your XP system has. Pick a previous date when it was trouble free.
If you hadn"t already tried.
Computer guy i"m not,but with 2 teenage daughters it seems its always computer trouble of some kind here.

Brad Lyon
06-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Do you mean you can not open attachments in Outlook Express or in Internet Explorer?

Brad

Cuda
06-02-2004, 08:25 PM
Do you mean you can not open attachments in Outlook Express or in Internet Explorer?

Brad

That's exactly the problem I'm having. When it happens, I can't do anything else before giving the computer the three finger salute. (Ctrl+Alt+Del)

DonziChick
06-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Have you tried saving the attachment to your computer and then opening it?

Also, (if you have XP) a good idea is to go to my network places. Double click on the "local area connection" and then go to the Advanced tab. You will see a checkbox that says "protect my computer..." and this will enable the windows default firewall. Most people do not have firewall software and this is at least a good place to start to block things.

And I second getting spybot and adware. Go to download.com to get though (or another site like that) because there are false versions floating around that will put more crap on your computer.

Hope this helps!

txtaz
06-03-2004, 03:37 AM
Some other ideas for everyone:
Use the task manager and look at the processes. (three finger salute, then process tab) A desktop should run about 20-25 processes and a laptop around 45-50. It depends on the hardware and software that is installed. Use goggle to search the exact name of the process and see what it is. If it's something that is suspicious use msconfig.exe to prevent it from starting up. Go start|run msconfig and it should come right up. On the startup tab find the offending program and uncheck it. Also while in the task manager you can kill the process by using the end process button. BE CAREFULL and make sure you know what you are ending. To optimize the puter is a big help for speed. The less it has to load and keep in memory, the faster it is.
I also recommend Norton System Works. It's great for taking care of Windows problems, AV and defragging the hard drive.
AND lastly, http://housecall.trendmicro.com It's a free online virus checker. It catches things others don't. It's virus definition is updated daily.
Hope this helps.
Wes